Why Carnival charges so much for a name change?

NavyCruiser

After 25+ cruises (13 with Carnival), This will be our very first time to inquire about a name/person change to our booking.

We're family of 4, currently booked & final payment already paid in a balcony cabin. Cruising in 4 weeks. Need to make a change for daughter, let's say passenger #4 in cabin, to son. Other 3 are fine.

Carnival says it'll cost $173 to make change.

Does Carnival really care if John Doe is passenger #4 in cabin instead of Jane Doe?

Wonder why in today's high tech market does it cost that much to make a name/person change? Besides that they can...

I don't get that either. A year ago at the end of July I changed the name on an early October cruise from my name to my mom's - the cruise was fully paid for. It was a $50 charge. I really don't understand why there should be a charge at all as it's still the same number of people in the cabin and all it takes is a few keystrokes.

Perhaps your TA charges a fee and the fact that you are in penalty phase. It's always a good idea to ask these questions of your TA BEFORE booking. There are many different rates that Carnival has and not all TAs are well versed on the ins and outs of them. I thought maybe you were booked under ES which in that case, name changes aren't allowed, but some have reported success both with and without the $50pp fee. That sounds like a question for your TA. They need to break it down for you.

Why do Airlines not allow name changes at all?

Edited by firemanbobswife

If this is for your January cruise it probably has something to do with the fact that you are inside final payment date.

I was offered to do a name change for $50 on the Monday of a Thursday cruise. It was too bad I didn't know anybody that could just drop what they were doing and go.

After 25+ cruises (13 with Carnival), This will be our very first time to inquire about a name/person change to our booking.

We're family of 4, currently booked & final payment already paid in a balcony cabin. Cruising in 4 weeks. Need to make a change for daughter, let's say passenger #4 in cabin, to son. Other 3 are fine.

Carnival says it'll cost $173 to make change.

Does Carnival really care if John Doe is passenger #4 in cabin instead of Jane Doe?

Wonder why in today's high tech market does it cost that much to make a name/person change? Besides that they can...

Are you booked on an ES fare? If so, what they are doing is cancelling the person who won't be going and then charging you for the new person. If you are on a fare other than ES, it is $50 for a name change. Name changes are technically not permitted for Early Saver.

I'm not positive---but as the time gets closer I believe that Carnival has to do a check with the TSA.

60 minutes before the cruise leaves for the final manifest. Other cruise lines dont charge anything to do a simple name change and will allow it up to 24 hours before the cruise departs. I know thats the case on RC, the only other cruise line Im familiar with.

I may have missed it but I don't see anywhere that you mention the program you initially booked under, such as ES or a past guest special, etc. Different programs obviously have different costs and since you apparently are past final payment date you have to cancel the first person and rebook the new person under the program now available for that cruise.

For instance, if the first person was ES there would be the $50 fee plus any additional rate charges as ES would no longer apply. So if the ES rate was say $300 (made up number) for the cruise and now under past guest the rate is $450 you would pay $200 inclusive for the name change and the new rate plan. $50 cancel fee plus $150 for the new cost.

I could be completely wrong but that's the way I've understood this to work.

You have to be very cautious when booking. Never book early saver if you think there is a possibility that the person won't be coming. early saver allows no name changes and hefty penalties for changes. I never book ES and know the plan well before final payment. Even if it is the same person and you see a mis-spelled name, it is a hefty penalty. You gotta make sure. Carnival does this and other lines not so much. Beware.

You have to be very cautious when booking. Never book early saver if you think there is a possibility that the person won't be coming. early saver allows no name changes and hefty penalties for changes. I never book ES and know the plan well before final payment. Even if it is the same person and you see a mis-spelled name, it is a hefty penalty. You gotta make sure. Carnival does this and other lines not so much. Beware.

They will change a misspelled name for free. It has happened to us before. One person in our party had gotten married and they had their old info under their VIFP profile when they booked. Called Carnival and they told us to go under her profile and change it ourselves. If it didn't work, then they would do it on their end. We did with no problem. And yes, we were booked ES.

80% of our previous bookings are under Military rates, 20% Past Guest. Always 2 - 6 months out. Can't plan further out any one of us maybe deployed.

No number of people change. No different cabin change nor category changed.

It's the exact same # of people, same cabin.

Same last last name, Just need to someone to change passenger #4's first name, birthday, & past guest #. Or I can type that in myself.

They have all of our military ID's, global entry, known traveler, conceal license , & past guest number s on file, so security is not an issue, just a name change....

80% of our previous bookings are under Military rates, 20% Past Guest. Always 2 - 6 months out. Can't plan further out any one of us maybe deployed.

No number of people change. No different cabin change nor category changed.

It's the exact same # of people, same cabin.

Same last last name, Just need to someone to change passenger #4's first name, birthday, & past guest #. Or I can type that in myself.

They have all of our military ID's, global entry, known traveler, conceal license , & past guest number s on file, so security is not an issue, just a name change....

Being there is a total change in person, it might not let you, but you can try. Log into your booking and try it under passenger names. Let me know if it works :)

Do you have insurance? That helped on holland America. I was told by 2 different employees a different price 1st $250. Then $200 so I was debating just cancelling cause I had premium insurance but the 3rd time I called and told them my spouse was sick and couldn't go so I wanted to cancel him and put my daughter in law on inside same last name he said sure he could take care of that for me NO charge. Why I almost fell off my chair. In the end it was so easy. It pays to have insurance. And just keep calling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was offered to do a name change for $50 on the Monday of a Thursday cruise. It was too bad I didn't know anybody that could just drop what they were doing and go.

Next time let me know. I am always ready to drop whatever I am doing for a cruise. Lol

Not necessarily. I booked early saver and they spelt my wife's middle name as Nichole instead of Nicole. I noticed that about a week later after booked and call and changed it without any issue

Do you have insurance? That helped on holland America. I was told by 2 different employees a different price 1st $250. Then $200 so I was debating just cancelling cause I had premium insurance but the 3rd time I called and told them my spouse was sick and couldn't go so I wanted to cancel him and put my daughter in law on inside same last name he said sure he could take care of that for me NO charge. Why I almost fell off my chair. In the end it was so easy. It pays to have insurance. And just keep calling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe that's why DW's name was changed without charge. Insurance.