Bahamas Cruise

JingleJane

My best friend and I are going on a cruise to the Bahamas this January. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise and we do not know anything about it. I have done a ton of research but I still have no idea what we should choose to do when we arrive. We will be docking at Freeport and Nassau. We are both 22 and are looking to get the most for our money. We both enjoy drinking;) and laying out on beautiful beaches. We want the most tropical relaxing experience. What are some suggestions for beaches to visit or things to do?

Thanks!

Hey :) I'm 22 also and run a blog about cruising when you're young.

It might be useful for you (I hope!) http://www.cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk

Which cruise line are you going on? I've never been to Freeport but I've been to Nassau and honestly thought it was a dump. Definitely think you need to research this port and decide on something to do. It isn't really a port where you can just get off and go for a wander, I tried and didn't like it at all.

Sorry to be a negative nelly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Eleteace

British Colonial Hilton will be MUCH less than Atlantis....I would only do Atlantis if I had a full day there..otherwise, it's really a waste of $$$.

Hopefully, you'll have nice, warm weather!

Atlantis will be twice as much, but if you have a full day, it's worth it. The Hilton is a small business hotel on a harbor beach, Atlantis a huge resort with amazing slides and pools, gorgeous beach, and aquarium. DH and I went to the Hilton without kids when we were in our mid 30's - good place for a nap.

In Nassau we like to head out to Arawak Cay (aka Fish Fry) for very fresh conch salad. If you search the board for Nassau there are a number of hotels that will allow you to purchase a day pass and spend the day on their beach. Some are all inclusive, some only provide for a few things. I have not gone to any in Nassau so can't tell you anything about them.

In Freeport there are no beaches at the port that you can simply walk to as the port is in more of an industrial area. If you want beach time you will have to hire your own taxi to take you or book an excursion. There is a Senor Frogs and various other shops right at the port that you just walk off the ship and have fun at. Years ago we did an all-inclusive resort through Carnival at Freeport and had a really good time. It even had a trapeze! Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the resort that one went to.

The trapeze one I think was Breezes resort. I did some research on things to do but we were short funds so couldn't book the excursions that time around. The Breezes sounded really cool. We also looked into seeing some of the beaches/caves via Calabash from other reviews I saw if you search that in the Bahamas forum, they had some great descriptions of what they did. One of the beaches they took you on was from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie!

We are going on a 4 day cruise. I'm sorry I was not more specific in my original post. We will be at Freeport for one day and Nassau for one day. Thank you for the advice, I will definitely do some more research before booking any excursions!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Not to be "fun sponge" but it's not always very warm in Nassau and Freeport in January ... especially the water temperatures. :o

You might want to also consider a non-beach activity.

Both ports have a Senor Frogs! Something to do just for the FUN of it. :D

My best friend and I are going on a cruise to the Bahamas this January. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise and we do not know anything about it. I have done a ton of research but I still have no idea what we should choose to do when we arrive. We will be docking at Freeport and Nassau. We are both 22 and are looking to get the most for our money. We both enjoy drinking;) and laying out on beautiful beaches. We want the most tropical relaxing experience. What are some suggestions for beaches to visit or things to do?

Thanks!

Freeport has a little beach right near the cruise terminal. It doesn't have much of a view but the water's nice. The Senor Frog's is fun (I staggered back to the ship from there once clutching the free glass I won at the "best legs" contest.)

Nassau also has a local (free) beach called Junkanoo. It's an easy 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal. There are a couple of beach bars.

If it's cheap beaches with easy access to sun and booze, those will work. Anything fancier at either location costs money.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Not to be "fun sponge" but it's not always very warm in Nassau and Freeport in January ... especially the water temperatures. :o

You might want to also consider a non-beach activity.

Both ports have a Senor Frogs! Something to do just for the FUN of it. :D

January weather in Nassau.

"The month of January is characterized by essentially constant daily high temperatures, with daily highs around 25°C throughout the month, exceeding 28°C or dropping below 22°C only one day in ten. "

28C is approx. 85F. 22C is low 70's.

OCruisers is correct that you might find the occasional cooler day, but since I'm from Ontario, Canada the weather is usually -10C (10F) in January so anything in the 70's is like heaven. I'm one of those white skinned freaks walking around in shorts and a T in Nassau while the locals are bundled up like eskimos.

Thanks!

You will not get a "tropical relaxing experience" in the Bahamas because you will not be in the tropics. Sure, the weather will be a lot better than in most of North America, but in January you may very well have temps as low as the 40's, and rarely much above 70. If you hit warm weather, you might want to go to Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island - just to the east of the Atlantis complex - the best free public beach in Nassau.

January weather in Nassau.

"The month of January is characterized by essentially constant daily high temperatures, with daily highs around 25°C throughout the month, exceeding 28°C or dropping below 22°C only one day in ten. "

28C is approx. 85F. 22C is low 70's.

OCruisers is correct that you might find the occasional cooler day, but since I'm from Ontario, Canada the weather is usually -10C (10F) in January so anything in the 70's is like heaven. I'm one of those white skinned freaks walking around in shorts and a T in Nassau while the locals are bundled up like eskimos.

Low 70's to approx 85 F is likely - but as an example of actual experience, January 24, 2016 ranged from 10 C to 21 C --- or 50 F to 69 F. Certainly a whole lot milder than Ontario (or even my own Connecticut) - but surely not "tropical" - which is why we are heading to St. Maarten in January.

Hey :) I'm 22 also and run a blog about cruising when you're young.

It might be useful for you (I hope!) www.cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk

Which cruise line are you going on? I've never been to Freeport but I've been to Nassau and honestly thought it was a dump. Definitely think you need to research this port and decide on something to do. It isn't really a port where you can just get off and go for a wander, I tried and didn't like it at all.

Sorry to be a negative nelly!!

If it makes you feel any better, Freeport is more of a dump than Nassau....

I'm not expecting it to be absolutely perfect. It was a last minute trip that we had planned before I move across the country. Currently the high where I live has been in the 30s, so 70 sounds perfect for us. Not to mention, being from the south, I'm not one for 90degree weather as I get that quite often at home. I was simply trying to find things to do to make the most of our time. Thanks to all for the advice!

Freeport has a little beach right near the cruise terminal. It doesn't have much of a view but the water's nice. The Senor Frog's is fun (I staggered back to the ship from there once clutching the free glass I won at the "best legs" contest.)

Nassau also has a local (free) beach called Junkanoo. It's an easy 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal. There are a couple of beach bars.

If it's cheap beaches with easy access to sun and booze, those will work. Anything fancier at either location costs money.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

That's exactly what we are looking for! Thank you for the suggestions!

Contrary to what others have said about Freeport, the island is really beautiful, BUT you have to leave the port and industrial areas. Many people do not leave the port area, thus see the not so exciting part.

If you able to rent a car, do so, and go explore the island on your own. There are a number of national parks and amazing beaches, void of cruise ship tourists. The underwater caverns at Lucayan National Park are really something to be seen.

http://www.bahamas.com/vendor/lucayan-national-park

http://www.grandbahamavacations.com/national-parks/

For a first timer to Nassau, there are many historical things to visit in the Downtown area, however on Sundays, many places are closed. Arawak Cay (fish fry) is a must for lunch, and a visit to Atlantis is interesting, but I would not pay to spend the day there. The aquarium is pretty impressive though.

Having been to both Nassau and Grand Bahama island numerous times, I now prefer to stay onboard and enjoy the pool deck all to myself ;)

Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by brunello22

I have traveled and cruised quite a bit. I have been to many different islands and have found beautiful sights off the beaten track at every single one of them, including Nassau and Freeport. You dock in the industrial section of Freeport but some of the island's beaches are really beautiful. Gold Rock Beach is as nice as any I've ever seen(that's the one near the sight of the Pirates movie set). If you don't want to go that far you have Taino Beach and then there is Lucaya by the hotels. Fortune Beach is also really beautiful. The water will be cold no matter the air temp.

Where the ship docks in Nassau isn't too nice either but I still get off the ship and explore. Paradise Island has Cabbage Beach and Cable Beach has a pretty nice beach by the Melia. Both ports have Senor Frogs for drinking and partying if the weather is bad. Keep a positive attitude and you will have fun. My first cruise was to the Bahamas when I was 19. We sailed through a tropical storm and both islands were horribly flooded but I still had a great time and am still cruising and traveling 30 years later.

Bahamas certainly aren't the WORST place to visit, but there are certainly much nicer ports. That said, New Providence and Grand Bahama are fine for a quick getaway or first timer. Having been to a lot of other places, I never cared for the Bahamas that much, but as others have said, and I failed to mention earlier, a good time can be had.