Outting a Port Everglades scammer

CineGraphic

After clearing customs this morning at pier 21, we headed towards the taxi stand so we could get to the airport.

About halfway to the designated spot for taxi pickup, an attendant with one of those colorful safety vests, said, "Taxi!?" while simultaneously grabbing our bags and tossing them into the back of a white van.

He added, "leaving right now" as we crawled into the back seat.

The driver and his vested assistant tried for several minutes to corral more passengers.

The other people on the van, all had early flights.

I noticed there was no meter on the van, so I told him we were getting out. All of the other passengers said they were leaving too.

The driver of the van immediately jumped in and quickly drove off, mentioning that the fare was $25 each.

I said, "no way".

A true taxi is less than $20, and that's for all passengers, not per person.

The other passengers chimed in as well stating they would not pay such a ridiculous rate.

I told him that I was going to photograph his license plate and report him to port officials.

He somehow thought he could make $125 on a 5 minute trip to the airport, and I was going to make sure it didn't happen.

When we arrived, he pulled out our bags, and I handed him ten dollars. He looked at me and said, "That's it!? You owe me much more!" His face was filling with rage.

At this point, I very loudly requested the presence of police officer. The driver went nuts, screaming in my face. I stood my ground and kept asking for an officer.

When the driver realized that I was serious about not becoming his next victim, he ran into his van and sped off.

I'll email the port and taxi commission and include a photo of the van's license plate tomorrow.

I'll never let someone grab my luggage like that again.

Thank you, and so sorry this happened to you. We were almost victims of the same type of scam once, but it wasn't as high a price as you were quoted.

Please follow up on this - they need to be stopped. There are some wonderful, honest cabbies in Fort Lauderdale (we have had several) but we have also been cheated. Not a nice feeling. :(

The shuttles have been at PE for years and have always charged pp. no one should get into one without asking the pp price first. They are also at the airport/hotels and charge pp also. In the past it has been 8$ pp.

Shuttles have never had meters and if you got into one without asking the price then......

Edited by setsail

The shuttles have been at PE for years and have always charged pp. no one should get into one without asking the pp price first. They are also at the airport/hotels and charge pp also. In the past it has been 8$ pp.

Shuttles have never had meters and if you got into one without asking the price then......

That may be true, but they clearly used the term "taxi" when corralling us.

I will continue walking to he true taxi stand in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For years readers here have been warned not to join groups in a shuttle van WITHOUT checking per person price. Just makes common sense.

Nothing new here. But good it pops up now and then for the newbies.

OP, Consider it a lesson learned and shared.

Edited by eandj

Thanks for letting us know about this. A good reminder to be careful who you use and even who you hand your luggage off to.

A couple of years ago at Miami someone was pretending to be a porter and as people gave them luggage the person made off with it.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

Thank you, and so sorry this happened to you. We were almost victims of the same type of scam once, but it wasn't as high a price as you were quoted.

Please follow up on this - they need to be stopped. There are some wonderful, honest cabbies in Fort Lauderdale (we have had several) but we have also been cheated. Not a nice feeling. :(

I have yet to come across a wonderful, honest cabbie in FL. 6/6 cabbies tried to cheat me..

That's why I only Uber from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happened to us several years ago. Hub realized there was no meter. I told the driver we stay at embassy every year. Arrival...the guy wanted $50. I said no, we usually pay $16. He got mad and said ok $40. I told him he was a crook and I was calling the police. He took off and we never paid him a dime.

I've had 'taxis' try to pull this at port hotels while I've been waiting for the taxi I phoned. Thanks to these boards, I learned to ask about the fare. When they have given me a per person or a higher rate than what I know the taxi fare should be, I say no thanks...you are not the taxi I called. Even though when they pulled up, they tried to tell me they were. I will ask the real taxi driver too about the fare before I proceed to get in.