Steak tartare

Marthasbaby

Prepared tableside....

Restuarants also do have it.

LOL,

It seemed that EVERYTHING was prepared tableside on Crystal

Hopelessly pretentious, and second rate pretentious, at that.

We're lucky in that Manhattan is nearby

so when we want that type of formality

We make a rez at Le Périgord

Where the staff know who Escoffier was :p

-and they are smart enough not to serve Steak Tartar to an aging clientle-

Talk about looking for trouble......why not just lick the handrails on the gangplank?

Try Prime 7 on Regent's Explorer for both "Classic Steak Tartare" and "Tuna Tartare".

Yes - we have had Tuna Tartare on the Explorer and I understand that the Steak Tartare is wonderful. Most upscale restaurants still serve Steak Tartare. There is a way to insure that the eggs are fresh enough to eat raw. Once it is determined that the eggs are safe, the egg is mixed into the steak so many people are not aware that it is there (there are no eggs in carpaccio - at least not in the items we have been served).

Raw foods are getting more acceptance in recent years. As long as it is safely prepared, there is no problem. I could eat salmon sashimi every day of the year (as long it has been frozen to kill anything that could cause harm to humans).

Edited by Travelcat2

We had Steak Tartare last year on the Riviera. Perhaps it was a special appetizer? I checked the Polo Grill menu and it's not there, though they do have any oxymoronic appetizer listed that is called "Crab Cake Tartar" [sic}

I'm surprised that Oceania has eliminated steak tartare from the menu on Marina and Riviera's Polo, since it's readily available in the equivalent Prime 7 restaurant on all of Regent's ships...

Edited by JPR

I'm surprised that Oceania has eliminated steak tartare from the menu on Marina and Riviera's Polo, since it's readily available in the equivalent Prime 7 restaurant on all of Regent's ships...

I am sure Regent has a lot of different things that Oceania does not & the reverse

They are different cruise lines

LOL,

It seemed that EVERYTHING was prepared tableside on Crystal

Hopelessly pretentious, and second rate pretentious, at that.

We're lucky in that Manhattan is nearby

so when we want that type of formality

We make a rez at Le Périgord

Where the staff know who Escoffier was :p

-and they are smart enough not to serve Steak Tartar to an aging clientle-

Talk about looking for trouble......why not just lick the handrails on the gangplank?

Le Perigord top hit on Google: "Le Perigord - From $95 with Groupon"

Well, surely they are the last word then.

I had it a few months ago on another line whose name I won't mention and it was served without the raw egg.

I'm not challenging your description about the Steak Tartare recipe you ate on another cruise line, but it's not necessary to omit raw eggs for any restaurant that wants to offer the classic recipe for both Caesar salad and steak Tartare. All they need to do is to use widely available Pasteurized eggs. Pasteurized eggs are sold still in the shell or as beaten eggs. Cartons and packages of Pasteurized eggs are clearly labeled and the eggs themselves are stamped with a "P".

Oh, I wasn't aware that raw eggs was a component of tartare :o

How is the table-side Caesar dressing made, no raw eggs either?

Pasteurized eggs. (Just click on the attached image to see an enlarged picture of a carton of Pasteurized eggs.)

362930213_Pasteurizedeggs.jpg.519a7046c6cdc3d0e9b2ae37ab739931.jpg

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Everyone must decide what they choose to believe regarding food safety.

My beliefs:

Many of the ways we treat food in North America are recovery techniques because we wish to mass produce huge quantities of food, cheaply.

- Eggs produced by free range hens or labelled as organic have very little chance of harbouring salmonella. Eggs are not even refrigerated in many parts of Europe.

- Steak tartare prepared in the accepted, safe way immediately before serving is eaten in many countries and in many restaurants in the US.

The sentence about consuming raw fish, eggs, etc. on menus is our way of putting the (legal) responsibility on the consumer rather than the producer.

Do you eat: raw oysters, unpasteurized cheese, eggs sunny side up, sushi, rare steaks, steak tartare. I do. But I put more attention on the food source and preparer.

Regarding food handling - I don't eat at fast food outlets or eat these things at dodgy restaurants nor do I rinse chicken.