HAPPY HOUR NICKEL ANd (DOLLARING)

EDLOS

Happy hour use to be 2 for 1 pricing, then went to $1.00 for second drink, now it's reported that it is $2.00 for second drink. How long before $3.00 for second drink, $4.00 for second drink ? Not long !

Edited by EDLOS
more info

I doubt if anyone would refuse to pay the extra dollar if they wanted the second drink. However, it is just another little nip , although, a minor one compared to other changes made by HAL. I will still enjoy that second drink.

I will still enjoy my 2nd drink at $2!

You have so many options to not to pay this: beverage packages, other drink options as mentioned, not having the 2nd drink at all, taking an all-inclusive cruise, etc. The choice is yours.

Although I do agree HAL is increasing / decreasing many items, the $2 is still a great bargain. Now if you want to talk about increases in fares or single supplements ...

Drink prices have risen since the $1 for the second drink was implemented.

I have no problem with the $1 increase. It's been a long time since the price was increased and it's still a bargain IMO :)

You're complaining about a $1 increase for something they don't have to offer at all? Seriously?
I go into such things starting from the service as the cruise line described it to me: Included in the cruise fare are non-bottled water, milk, coffee and tea, juices during meals, espresso in the MDR. Everything else they offer gratis during a cruise is a bonus offered me during that cruise and only that cruise, making that cruise more special than anticipated.

I go into such things starting from the service as the cruise line described it to me: Included in the cruise fare are non-bottled water, milk, coffee and tea, juices during meals, espresso in the MDR. Everything else they offer gratis during a cruise is a bonus offered me during that cruise and only that cruise, making that cruise more special than anticipated.

Bolding is mine. Expresso and cappuccino have not been free in the MDR for a while. At least, not on any cruises I have been on.

Edited by kazu

I am more unhappy about the reduction of hours and changes in Happy Hour times. In the past we have had HH from 4-5 and 6-7 in the Crow's Nest and, I believe but may be wrong, 4-5 in the Ocean Bar.

Now, apparently from reading On Locations from various sailings, HH is only from 4-5 in all venues, too early IMO, allowing no time after a day ashore to freshen up before the evenings activities.

The later time was the most popular, perfect for after dinner drinks for early diners and before dinner drinks for late diners, perhaps the reason for its elimination.

Happy Hour at sea is just like Happy Hour on the shore. It is an incentive "sale" to drive patronage and customers in during periods of low sales. The HH times seem fairly consistent across all the cruises we have taken with HAL but the times and locations are at the discretion of the Beverage Manager.

On our last two cruises there was also a Happy Hour from 9-10 in one of the bars that was often empty otherwise.

If the new price doesn't continue to drive sales during slow times then they will revisit the pricing and times.

Expresso and cappuccino have not been free in the MDR for a while. At least, not on any cruises I have been on.
Thanks for the update.

The later time was the most popular, perfect for after dinner drinks for early diners and before dinner drinks for late diners, perhaps the reason for its elimination.
That seems likely. Recalling my short stint at a place that offered Happy Hour (admittedly several decades ago, but still...) we did it to get folks to fill the bar during times that, without the discounts, it would otherwise be relatively empty. We didn't offer discounts when patrons would come and pay full price anyway. Edited by bUU

Happy hour use to be 2 for 1 pricing, then went to $1.00 for second drink, now it's reported that it is $2.00 for second drink. How long before $3.00 for second drink, $4.00 for second drink ? Not long !

I understand what you're saying. It's not the $ but the progression of nickel and dimeing that can irritate. I understand that HAL is in the business to make money. I get it. But, each time you turn around there is another fee or charge for what once was included. This practice does not endear one to the company and the airlines are doing the same thing but more egregiously. This can come at a price to the lines when all are the same.

This practice does not endear one to the company and the airlines are doing the same thing but more egregiously. This can come at a price to the lines when all are the same.
What price has any cruise line paid in the last ten years from instituting any additional fees for what used to be included services? For that matter, what price has any US domestic airline paid from instituting any additional fees for what used to be included services? It doesn't seem that things work that way: JetBlue was struggling as one of two major domestic airlines without domestic baggage fees for the first checked bagged, and then started flying high after instituting the baggage fees, even seeing a 20% rise in bookings for their Mint class service. The lack of impact of nickel and diming on cruise line or airline bookings would seem to indicate that there is no price. It seems that it would only come at a price to the lines if some lines don't do it (and don't make up for not doing it by charging a much higher base price).

I understand what you're saying. It's not the $ but the progression of nickel and dimeing that can irritate. I understand that HAL is in the business to make money. I get it. But, each time you turn around there is another fee or charge for what once was included. This practice does not endear one to the company and the airlines are doing the same thing but more egregiously. This can come at a price to the lines when all are the same.

I don't understand at all why the angst over a dollar more..Everything except cruises have increased over the years..

Last night we went out to dinner & our drinks were over $6.00 each..DH had a second one & it cost the same as the first one.. Dinner & tip was over $86.00 for two of us in the nice restaurant..This restaurant was not one of the most expensive ones in our area..

Did it ever occur to you that the cost of cruising is the same as it was more than 15 years ago..I know because I was once in the travel field & have kept track of the prices of every cruise (over 15) we've ever taken.. In Oct 1998 we paid $267 per night for a 10 day cruise on the Ryndam..In Nov 2013 we paid $250 per night also on the Ryndam..Both Outside cabins..On the Zuiderdam in 2016 we paid $270 per night for a Balcony Cabin..

HAL has to make money somehow & paying a dollar or two more for a second drink is something I'll happily pay, as we enjoy our HAL cruises & don't want to see them go out of business..:)

Edited by serendipity1499

Everything except cruises have increased over the years. Last night we went out to dinner & our drinks were over $6.00 each..DH had a second one & it cost the same as the first one.. Dinner & tip was over $86.00 for two of us in the nice restaurant..This restaurant was not one of the most expensive ones in our area.
Isn't that the truth? We just got home from a short vacation at the Disney Resort in Orlando Florida. We have been vacationing there for well over 20 years. I am utterly amazed at the extent to which their prices for everything has increased far in excess of the broader rate of inflation. Admission was always expensive but now it's almost crazy. For what it costs to visit the theme parks for a weekend, now, I remember paying something close to the same amount for seasonal passes back in the day, which we were able to use for two separate full-week vacations 11 months apart. Like you said, it's the same kind of situation, although not quite as extreme, at our local restaurants. We went out to the local tavern for dinner last night just because we didn't want to cook, and the bill came to well over $50. And we didn't drink any alcohol. I think we're seeing price increases that were delayed by several years due to the recession.

Did it ever occur to you that the cost of cruising is the same as it was more than 15 years ago..I know because I was once in the travel field & have kept track of the prices of every cruise (over 15) we've ever taken.. In Oct 1998 we paid $267 per night for a 10 day cruise on the Ryndam..In Nov 2013 we paid $250 per night also on the Ryndam..Both Outside cabins..On the Zuiderdam in 2016 we paid $270 per night for a Balcony Cabin..
I appreciate you sharing that kind of historical context. Very interesting.

I agree. Every one of us has a threshold. There's an economic threshold that we cannot pay and then there is the principle threshold in which it just doesn't feel right to pay any more.

Many will simply willingly pay more and continue cruising on HAL. Others will seek out alternatives and HAL may lose them forever.

Thank you ! "onthegogirl" you understand my message. And I believe Cruising is still a travel bargain.

Anyone want to report what Celebrity ,Princess, RCC are doing ???? Is this a trend ?

Drink prices have risen since the $1 for the second drink was implemented.

I have no problem with the $1 increase. It's been a long time since the price was increased and it's still a bargain IMO :)

Prices have gone up some yes, but HAL still has lower alcoholic beverage prices than nearly all other lines

Definitely still a bargain!

We cruise because we enjoy the adventure. Drinks are expensive, anything I can get for less then full price I enjoy. Costs have to go up, everything is. If the extras get to much don't do the extras stay with the basic package and enjoy the cruise. When I first started to cruise I think my bar bill was the same as the cost of my cruise. Now I have a glass of wine at dinner and a couple of drinks as we sail away.

Allan

Just off the Zuiderdam - the late HH was in the Northern Lights from 9-10pm - second drink was $2

Next time someone asks why they get rid of Northern Lights and replaced with Gallery Bar... here's the reason right here... If happy hour is needed to get people to go anywhere near the nightclub... :eek: