Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Hi Coolers.....

Belated birthday greetings JP.....looks like you celebrated in style!

Many congrats to Mr & Mrs Jeffers and what a lovely story about your big day all those years ago....thank you for sharing that with us.

So pleased Myster and Mysty made it ok to FLL....they should be safely aboard the Wind by now and excitingly anticipating the crossing....

You're up next Spins in four days time.....but it's getting closer for me too....ships that pass in the night springs to mind!

Today we finally laid father to rest with mother....just a small family service at the graveside...it's been a long few weeks.

Really enjoying all the foodie pics and the great banter on the cooler as usual....

S ☺️

My go-to recipe with chicken and poblanos might be fajitas, because we can cook them fast. But stuffed poblanos sound delicious too. Or a white chili. That could go well with chips and salsa.

I've got some (boring) frozen flounder thawing in the fridge. Hope I can come up with something that I feel like eating.

Last night we needed a small snack in the evening. So I cooked a bit of our fresh pancetta slab slowly until crispy, then added mushrooms and garlic. A few cherry tomatoes at the end, cooked just until softened.

I added some fusilli pasta that we'd bought yesterday, then finished the dish with some pasta cooking water, a dab of tomato paste, and grated cheese. It was a good snack. I put some crushed red pepper in my portion. Should have made extra for tomorrow's lunch. Oh well!

396f2cdb84e50838e90fa89bf22c4519.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Lots of lovely food pix. Those of American beef make me want to cry and wonder if/when I'll ever sample it again. We are finding the meat in this country almost inedible and I am now almost 100% veggie.

S - I was in Chester on Tuesday to visit a friend who has moved there. Forty years since I was last there - pleased to see The Grosvenor and Waltons are still there. Horrified to see Browns is now Debenhams! Actually found the location of my old secretarial school from the early 70's up on the Rows in Bridge St! Now looks like a rather smart apartment. Unfortunately it was a freezing cold day and I was happy to get back on the train to Shrews.

Back to lurking

Mary

Hi Mary......really good to see you back on the cooler....please don't lurk too much...join in!

Chester is so lovely and one of my most favourite cities where l feel very much at home still.

There are some really good butchers around our area....we have some excellent farm shops locally...give me a shout of you need more info....

S☺️

Well, change of plans tonight we ended up in the ER with a friend. Thankfully, everything is going to be okay, but I am too exhausted and stressed to take the time to make dinner. Chinese Takeout it is.

Mexican Tomorrow. I do make stuffed Poblano peppers quite often. I found some Chroizo in the freezer that I will also use tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad everything / -one is ok. I cooked the flounder fillets in a beurre blanc with capers. Served over rice, with cucumber and tomato salad.

47eee6002b2c8b972bc010fd31622f00.jpg

Tomorrow we have a contractor coming over to finalize the contract for building a sunroom on the back of our house. That will take a while so I suspect we'll be getting Chinese take out as well. [emoji1]

Good Day Coolers.........enjoying some rather nice warm..ish weather here today but thoughts are with our Australian friends and the cyclone.

Packing took another step up this morning with all the toiletries sorted out....

Eagerly awaiting to see Jeffers Anniversary meal......lamb cutlets with roast potatoes and creamed cabbage on the go for luncheon....

Happy Day ☺️

The name of this group should be changed from the "Coolers" to the Silversea Foodies!

Providing there are no more unexpected emergencies, I WILL be making my South of the Border meal tonight. I am torn between a take on white chicken chili, more like a thick stew that you can fill tortillas with (YUM), or stuffed peppers, which is my husband's vote. Both take about the same amount of time and effort. Peppers will probably win out, as the hubby will give me begging puppy

Hello all.

Eagerly awaiting all of the lunch and the dinner photos as we are in the "use it up" phase for our food in the fridge pre cruise.

Sophia, I did the toiletries yesterday too. I am now trying to pare back more clothing before I actually house them en suitcases, i.e. Duffle bags.

I do hope that Australia is spared the brunt of the cyclone, although it looks quite menacing.

At this time we in the peninsula are watching a tropical disturbance east of land which may become a storm, rare for March. The marine weather forecast for our voyage to Bermuda has increasing wind and seas Saturday. Hopefully by Sunday all will be well.

Meanwhile it's a glorious day, blue skies and in the high 60's F with projected temperatures into the 80's F.

Carpe diem!

Good afternoon Coolies and Foodies,

Oh dear ..... I do feel I'm now letting the side down ....

We're now in transition stage between Country and Seaside, so the larder gets depleted here and the fridge tends to get cleared, and wifey really makes me promise that I won't buy anything for cooking at seaside, but simply graze and snack and buy in treats each night. We're planning just a week or so down at Seaside and then back.

Yesterday we went out to the Mayfly on the test, and if anything is middle-class noctergernarian ( one up from octogenarian) then this was it. It is actually a lovely place to go to simply eavesdrop.

Anyway, a pint and a half of beer cost ten quid and then off back home.

I'm guilty of not doing anything special therefore for any anniversary days but today was simple street food - a Thai green chicken curry with fragrant rice from the Zoji.

bab64d68a543f840edfa0b8449d23e7f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Coolers! Just back from aerobics at the gym and... UFF, my bones hurt! But I look at the delicacies you all prepare and think I deserve to eat them. Now, JP, what you call a "snack" and a "light, easy dinner" DH and I call a sumptuous meal.

Anybody heard from Mysty? Should check the other SS thread to see if she started one. Spins and MissSophia, don't forget us while sipping champagne and playing trivia. We are like sponges...envy green sponges. Good day, everybody!

Since we did not participate in any of the Silversea trivia, you guys will have to inform me of how it works, and what prizes can be won. I kept hearing about the points, but have no idea what that means. We spent too much time enjoying the ports of call every day.

Sorry for my delay in congratulations for Jeff and his Mrs. Yes, the food pictures are looking good. On the subject of wine, how about a little "debate/discussion" as to your favorite sources for such beverages. New Zealand is rising!! See below. In June on the Silver Spirit, will seek out more for those nice options from down under. For Spins and those recently on Silversea ship, let us know which types of wines they are pushing the most.

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline: Sheep Give Way to Grapes in New Zealand Wine Boom with this sub-headline: "vineyards spread as high-quality New Zealand wines gain a following abroad".

Here are some of the story's details and highlights: A growing taste for more expensive wine in the U.S. and elsewhere is encouraging the world’s biggest winemakers to turn New Zealand’s sheep and dairy farms into vineyards. Among major exporters, wine from New Zealand commands the highest prices of any country after France, according to the International Organization of Vine and Wine. The nation’s cooler climate is more suitable to growing smaller volumes of higher-quality grapes. Exports to the U.S. have nearly tripled in volume since 2009. At a time when American drinkers are willing to spend more per bottle, last year U.S. wine imports from New Zealand overtook Australia to rank the third highest by total value, after No. 1 Italy and runner-up France.

Interesting story, background, etc.!! We have always enjoyed the wines we have tried from New Zealand, plus loving our visit there in 2014. Since this newspaper has a paywall, not all can access it. Fortunately, I am a web/daily subscriber. Nice reading!! Congrats to the good folks in NZ!

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sheep-give-way-to-grapes-in-new-zealand-wine-boom-1490693409

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 175,602 views for this posting.

Interesting topic Terry. I am a "frequent" wine drinker. I have a taste for the big, bold, reds. My favorite type is a Cabernet Franc, although a good Merlot is wonderful as well, or even a good red blend of the two! I prefer California reds, but Oregon and Washington have quite a few good ones as well. I am also fond of the Italian Sangiovese. Being from Michigan, we have a wonderful wine region in Traverse City. Although, the bold red wines are difficult to find, and when you do, very pricey. Michigan is kind of known for it's Cherry wine (too sweet for my taste), as Traverse City is home of the National Cherry Festival and known as the Cherry Capital of the world. Michigan has a pretty good Riesling, that, in my humble opinion, can beat out a good German any day. However, they tend to push the "late harvest" which is far too sweet for my taste. However, it is a nice 3 hour trip away for me to tour "wine country" as opposed to flying to Napa.

Hey Shots. We'll have to compare NY Riesling from the Finger Lakes to the Michigan wine. We've been going to the Finger Lakes for 20+ years. It's come a long way. They make some great wine at this latitude!

Don't think I've ever had a Michigan wine before. Some of our local friends moved to MI last year and we need to go visit them. And drink wine, of course. I did say that they are our friends... [emoji4]

Hey Shots. We'll have to compare NY Riesling from the Finger Lakes to the Michigan wine. We've been going to the Finger Lakes for 20+ years. It's come a long way. They make some great wine at this latitude!

Don't think I've ever had a Michigan wine before. Some of our local friends moved to MI last year and we need to go visit them. And drink wine, of course. I did say that they are our friends... [emoji4]

The vineyards in Michigan, well Traverse City, are just about the 45th parallel, making it perfectly aligned with Italy's Piedmont region; the Rhone Valley and Bordeaux in France; Willamette Valley in Oregon.

I have heard of the Finger Lakes wines, but can't say I have ever tasted! Maybe another trip to plan.

Interesting topic Terry. I am a "frequent" wine drinker. I have a taste for the big, bold, reds. Being from Michigan, we have a wonderful wine region in Traverse City. Michigan is kind of known for it's Cherry wine (too sweet for my taste), as Traverse City is home of the National Cherry Festival and known as the Cherry Capital of the world. Michigan has a pretty good Riesling, that, in my humble opinion, can beat out a good German any day. However, they tend to push the "late harvest" which is far too sweet for my taste..

We'll have to compare NY Riesling from the Finger Lakes to the Michigan wine. We've been going to the Finger Lakes for 20+ years. It's come a long way. They make some great wine at this latitude!

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups from Shots and JP. Ohio has some wine production, but for my tastes and interests, sweet wines are not my "thing". Sorry!! Much prefer things on the dry side. Yes, good Reds are nice, especially with some "body" and character.

Getting ready in mid June for our first visit to the Bordeaux area of France. Lots of great wine production there, plus some items such as Cognac!! Planning on visiting wineries in Bordeaux's Médoc area. For Cognac, we are planning on visiting the famous Hennessy Distillery. Then, there will be earlier opportunities to visit Portugal's Port production areas.

What other wine-related likes, sharing, tips, successful winery visits, etc., would others like to share?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 211,282 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Good evening coolers .....

Not wine or food related but .....

Theresa May has signed the letter that will formally begin the UK's departure from the European Union.

Giving official notice under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, it will be delivered to European Council president Donald Tusk on Wednesday.

In a statement in the Commons, the prime minister will then tell MPs this marks "the moment for the country to come together".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, dinner has officially been cooked and consumed.

I made a Mexican style casserole. Beans on the bottom, cheese, chicken, chorizo, peppers, tomatoes, and more cheese.

This was then heated in the oven and served to be scooped inside warm tortillas. Queso, salsa, and guacamole (all homemade) on the side. Margaritas to wash it down.

Hubby said it was better than stuffed peppers.

80256b2d1412c011100d9b2407e86a25.jpg

Waiting for the dish to heat through.

977cf97b8c0517423b013671652ff8de.jpg

ee85c03264acdc83cabb7ac1bdb40645.jpg

772f9dceafaf25c642f21ef0857b57d1.jpg

b5a38a3a7e88bd8d47ca81e27502186a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk