One Criticism - NFL Not Oceania Material?

curtdesilets

We just got off Sirena in the heart of the NFL Season. If you are a football fan, or sports fan at all, Oceania offers little in terms of keeping up with your team(s). ESPN is not on the TV, nor are there any sports news whatsoever. You can get scores the next evening with the daily news flyer, about 24 hours after the game is over. Or you can keep checking the (slow) internet.

I felt like I was being blacked out. With the free internet incentive, I was about ready to stream a game online in the internet room. Probably wouldn't happen however as the internet was pretty darn slow. Alas, my wife would have had major issues. So I had to get my NFL fix in yesterday watching nonstop football all day. And my RAMS lost to boot. :eek:

We were on a mainstream line last January and the football was centerpiece to some of their activities. As much as I liked the great food and service and refined product that Oceania offers, just a little bit of sports would have helped. :rolleyes:

Strictly speaking for myself I like an occasional football or basketball game, and really like baseball, especially the STL Cards, but other than the Cards wouldn't go out of the way to watch sports. I'm not really a typical Oceania cruiser. I would actually more fit the demographic that would want sports on.

I don't believe there's TVs in any of the public spaces on Oceania, except maybe the big screen on the pool deck.

In answer to your question, I doubt for the most part there has been enough demand for it on Oceania to make it a priority, JMO.

Interesting question. But Oceania has not positioned its offering with mention of the availability of USA sports. Of course some of this is due to the satellite situation on some cruises. Also not sure a "sports bar" would fit the needs of most cruisers.

They do not have NHL or the baseball on either ;)

I rarely watch the tv in the cabin

Oceania did show the World Cup final game when we were in Amsterdam one yr

They had the big screen in the lounge on Insignia

They tried to get the Super Bowl but people had to just listen

they could not get the live video feed

we were in Guatemala & they arranged with the local bar to watch it there & we stayed later in port

Maybe they could raise the fares & get the sports channels onboard via the live satellite feeds not a cheap option

We were on Celebrity last year during the Super Bowl. They had a great event. The game was on the big screen in the theater and they had a huge tailgate party at the back of the theater. It was great fun. They have had football and basketball games on when we were on other cruises.

Having said that, in today's age, there does not seem to be any reason they cannot get ESPN or any other of the hundreds of channels on the TV off a satellite.

I don't go on a cruise to watch TV but there are rainy days, sea days and early evening where the TV in the cabin gets use. I don't know abut Oceania yet as we are not going till Feb but I was also somewhat disappointed with the programming on Celebrity. At least Celebrity had some sports.

Edited by pete_coach

We were on Celebrity last year during the Super Bowl. They had a great event. The game was on the big screen in the theater and they had a huge tailgate party at the back of the theater. It was great fun. They have had football and basketball games on when we were on other cruises.

Having said that, in today's age, there does not seem to be any reason they cannot get ESPN or any other of the hundreds of channels on the TV off a satellite.

I don't go on a cruise to watch TV but there are rainy days, sea days and early evening where the TV in the cabin gets use. I don't know abut Oceania yet as we are not going till Feb but I was also somewhat disappointed with the programming on Celebrity. At least Celebrity had some sports.

It's important to realize that Oceania is not Celebrity and vice versa. I think the OP might have hit in on the head when they mentioned that it's just not the Culture on Oceania. Not necessarily culture in general, as they seem to be using that at a term of refinement, but it's just not real important in the Oceania operations.

FWIW. I'm almost sure there is some ESPN channel around channel 17 or 18 in your room. Maybe not the main one, but it will have sports news.

It's important to realize that Oceania is not Celebrity and vice versa. I think the OP might have hit in on the head when they mentioned that it's just not the Culture on Oceania. Not necessarily culture in general, as they seem to be using that at a term of refinement, but it's just not real important in the Oceania operations.

FWIW. I'm almost sure there is some ESPN channel around channel 17 or 18 in your room. Maybe not the main one, but it will have sports news.

I am quite sure I did not insinuate that Celebrity and Oceania were the same, just relaying an experience we had last year.

As for "not the culture....", I am unsure what that means? Oceania customers are not sports or football fans? Oceania customers have a different level of "refinement"?

What are you trying to imply?

I definitely would have liked having ESPN in the cabin. Sky Sports is completely useless for American sports. Even ESPN International would have been better. I was on a Celebrity cruise this year during the Super Bowl, and they carried the game in the theater. Have also been on other ships that carried football games on outdoor movie screens or in bars. So yes, for a sports fan, Oceania is very lacking.

On the other hand, since I'm a Chargers fan, not being able to watch 2 of their games this month wasn't a bad thing : ).

ESPN on cruise ships is a rarity and they've never been the cable network for the Super Bowl. Broadcast networks rotate the SB. Early round playoff games may air on ESPN, as will the college football playoffs.

ESPN is hemorrhaging customers, recently they lost one million in a two month period. Cord cutting is all the rage and customers railed against high prices.

I would not depend on Oceania for must see sports. A few years ago they brought in a final four BB feed, the quality was poor and there wasn't much interest. We watched five minutes then left.

Mass market lines offering more activities do a great job with the NFL and Princess had a major partnership with them to air virtually every game. I haven't experienced the playoffs or SB on a ship but they are very important capstone events for many of us.

I'm sure one of the 5,000 passenger ships have Sports Bars that can meet your Sports needs. Perhaps that is the best option for you if Oceania can't meet your needs. Since I typically go into the ports early and get acclimated to the local time, I probably wouldn't interrupt my dinner or stay up until midnight watching a game, in all the different time zones, anyway. But, as I said, one of the mega ships is probably a better option for your future travels.

There is a reason, since ships are maritime and they can be anywhere in the world and have to subscribe to one service that provides all services, voice, data, cellular service, internet and lastly and least useful TV. This is all done thru MTN (now EMC), which most cruise lines use.

They provide only the following TV services with worldwide coverage -- BBC World News,CNBC, Fox News,MSNBC, Sky News HD,Sky Sports News HD, Special Events Channel, Sport 24, Prime Telly, Prime US, Engage. Oceania subscribes to a subset. Would assume cost, bandwidth limitations, copyrights and exclusivity agreements prevents them from broadcasting more.

So no ESPN, No NFL, No NHL. Special events are sometimes broadcast (like Superbowl).

Edited by PaulMCO

There is a reason, since ships are maritime and they can be anywhere in the world and have to subscribe to one service that provides all services, voice, data, cellular service, internet and lastly and least useful TV. This is all done thru MTN (now EMC), which most cruise lines use.

They provide only the following TV services with worldwide coverage -- BBC World News,CNBC, Fox News,MSNBC, Sky News HD,Sky Sports News HD, Special Events Channel, Sport 24, Prime Telly, Prime US, Engage. Oceania subscribes to a subset. Would assume cost, bandwidth limitations, copyrights and exclusivity agreements prevents them from broadcasting more.

So no ESPN, No NFL, No NHL. Special events are sometimes broadcast (like Superbowl).

Fair enough but, they are not obligated to only subscribe to a singular service. While ships are maritime, they do ply regional waters for probably 6 months at a time and can choose for the region they are presently in.

This is certainly a "first world" issue. A decade (or less) ago, being on a ship was to extricate yourself from the day to day routines. Today, we demand internet and communications even when trying to "chill out".

The technology and services are there to use, it is just the up to cruise line to choose which one.

I'm sure one of the 5,000 passenger ships have Sports Bars that can meet your Sports needs. Perhaps that is the best option for you if Oceania can't meet your needs. Since I typically go into the ports early and get acclimated to the local time, I probably wouldn't interrupt my dinner or stay up until midnight watching a game, in all the different time zones, anyway. But, as I said, one of the mega ships is probably a better option for your future travels.

Pinotlover: I Surely Hope You Are Not Addressing This To Me

-Curt, OP

Are you talking to EasyBoy?? It's not clear???

Edited by curtdesilets

I definitely would have liked having ESPN in the cabin. Sky Sports is completely useless for American sports. Even ESPN International would have been better. I was on a Celebrity cruise this year during the Super Bowl, and they carried the game in the theater. Have also been on other ships that carried football games on outdoor movie screens or in bars. So yes, for a sports fan, Oceania is very lacking.

On the other hand, since I'm a Chargers fan, not being able to watch 2 of their games this month wasn't a bad thing : ).

I missed two pretty forgettable games, and the firing of our head coach during our cruise. so in reality, my original message was sort of a moot point

Still a RAMS fan though. - Curt, OP

I missed two pretty forgettable games, and the firing of our head coach during our cruise. so in reality, my original message was sort of a moot point

Still a RAMS fan though. - Curt, OP

If you thought those 2 games were forgettable, what about this last one - losing at home to the hapless 1-13 49ers? :D

If you thought those 2 games were forgettable, what about this last one - losing at home to the hapless 1-13 49ers? :D

Rams are in total disarray right now. We have a number of theories. I for one thought Case Keenum was a better QB than our very expensive #1 draft pick, but I was in the minority. Better luck next season. Horns Up! :D

You cannot knock our PUNTER however. Johhny Hekker has shattered every single game statistic for punters this season. But I digress.

Come to think of it, better that we had no sports on Oceania.

As for the guy/gal thinking I should be better suited for a 5000 passenger megaship....We got some talking to do. :mad:

Edited by curtdesilets

Easy solution. If you are passionate about a particular sport's season or seasonal activity then don't cruise during those periods. While I enjoy NFL games, there is no great loss if I miss them; HOWEVER, I am an avid skier and you will not find me on a cruise during ski season (January through mid-April). Ski season coincides with the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, so I don't miss them either, but FWIW skiing is the driver in that decision, not football. One must have their priorities, whatever they may be.

Easy solution. If you are passionate about a particular sport's season or seasonal activity then don't cruise during those periods. While I enjoy NFL games, there is no great loss if I miss them; HOWEVER, I am an avid skier and you will not find me on a cruise during ski season (January through mid-April). Ski season coincides with the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, so I don't miss them either, but FWIW skiing is the driver in that decision, not football. One must have their priorities, whatever they may be.

Great post! We could care less about any "games" that are on television. IMO, children and families would be better served spending time playing these games with each other instead of watching them on television. I applaud you for not cruising during ski season since this is important to you. There are some of us that wish that Amazing Race or Survivor were telecast on cruise lines but certainly understand why they are not. We record television shows that are important to us and make sure that we do not see or read anything that will give away the ending:)

Just for the record, we were on Riviera once during the Super Bowl and it was shown on a big screen tv in the lounge, with a nice party atmosphere. Sometimes it can be done!

Last year - I think - there was a pretty hot discussion on this board about O making it a priority to show the World Cup games. (They apparently did not). Some in that post seemed to feel that O could not claim to be "cultured" if they did not make this global event a priority. (I believe O found a way to show the final game)

I agree with those who say that you just cannot please everyone - since, as has been noted, there are so many different priorities amongst passengers.

I love watching baseball and some football and La Liga football/soccer, but when I am on a cruise I guess I can manage to live without it - and focus on other joys that are at hand!

Donna

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on Insignia for the last Super Bowl. The game started about 1 am local time. Only about 20 people stayed up to watch it. They showed it again 9 am and again only around 20 people.

I enjoyed watching it but considering Oceania has to pay a license fee, it was hardly worth it.

As for the guy/gal thinking I should be better suited for a 5000 passenger megaship....We got some talking to do. :mad:

I think it is absolutely possible to enjoy both a more sedate cruising experience and watching sports. People have a multitude of interests.