A different gratuities question

wombat34

Only time I saw this was on the Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise last year when Alfredo himself prepared a special pasta.
I'm not sure if pasta should be prepared table-side under any conditions. The point of table-side preparation is to put the skills on display, but wielding a ladle doesn't seem like an impressive show of skills to me.

I agree with Pam..."asking" is going too far, but friendly notice that their contract is ending is fine.
Could you please say more? I feel that a fundamental aspect of service quality is maintaining that "duck on a pond" motif: All is peaceful above water, regardless of what's going on below the surface. I feel the guests should be kept fastidiously unaware of the vagaries of staff assignment and other operational concerns - making guests aware of those vagaries (unless the guest presses staff for such details) is, itself, bad service quality. As such, I see no positive aspect of staff discussing contracts and such with guests.

I'm not sure if pasta should be prepared table-side under any conditions. The point of table-side preparation is to put the skills on display, but wielding a ladle doesn't seem like an impressive show of skills to me.

Could you please say more? I feel that a fundamental aspect of service quality is maintaining that "duck on a pond" motif: All is peaceful above water, regardless of what's going on below the surface. I feel the guests should be kept fastidiously unaware of the vagaries of staff assignment and other operational concerns - making guests aware of those vagaries (unless the guest presses staff for such details) is, itself, bad service quality. As such, I see no positive aspect of staff discussing contracts and such with guests.

I agree,I always leave my auto tips on.

I do not need to know about the ups and downs of the crews life. I do not live in the lap of luxury and work to afford my vacation. I am not there to support the crew and their families. I am on a hard earned vacation and just want to relax.

I do not want to know about their hardships or they mine.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

On one 28-night Princess cruise our MDR waiter introduced himself with the comment "I'll look after you and you'll look after me. You know what I mean." Said with a meaningful look. We would have tipped him extra on top of the auto gratuity, but this time he got nothing extra. :D

He got just what he asked for. ;)

I agree,I always leave my auto tips on.

I do not need to know about the ups and downs of the crews life. I do not live in the lap of luxury and work to afford my vacation. I am not there to support the crew and their families. I am on a hard earned vacation and just want to relax.

I do not want to know about their hardships or they mine.

Reader

I totally agree, and would add that if however you do want to change the automatic gratuity then do it nearly at the end of the cruise.

That way you are off the ship before the dastardly deed is uncovered.

I find that two increases in a year to the current level is somewhat excessive for the autotip on Princess, if the crew get it all without Princess dipping into it themselves then I think the cabin steward is probably making more than I am these days, not that I'd want his job whatever the pay might be.

I totally agree, and would add that if however you do want to change the automatic gratuity then do it nearly at the end of the cruise.

That way you are off the ship before the dastardly deed is uncovered.

I find that two increases in a year to the current level is somewhat excessive for the autotip on Princess, if the crew get it all without Princess dipping into it themselves then I think the cabin steward is probably making more than I am these days, not that I'd want his job whatever the pay might be.

Same here. Although I wouldn't remove them UNLESS there was something drastically wrong I wouldn't do so till the end of the cruise. I'm not sure if Princess publishes the names of those people who-op out but why take chances.

We haven't had a blatant ploy for tips play out like the OP did from a cabin steward. We did have it from an assistant waiter one time. He showed those of us at his tables a photo of "his" little girl. I could tell that the photo looked like one taken on board the ship--same background used on one of the formal nights. He also had folded the photo--something most people wouldn't do. The others at our table may have fallen for his story about not having seen her in many months. I did not.

We've had the crew blatantly ask for tips from us as well .... way more than once. It gets tiresome as I really like the system that is set up where a standard amount is given. But, on Princess, I noticed this was pervasive when the auto tips were first implemented. If you'll remember those disembarkation talks from the cruise director. They used to be held in the theater (now on one of the stations). A few times when this first started, half the talk would be about how we should reach into our pockets, dig deeper and give even more than the auto tips. I felt like this just crossed the line and stated as much in my post cruise survey. Well, I assume many others did as well because that begging for more, more, more must have annoyed others as well.

I have had the 'magazine' picture of their underprivileged kids shown to me as well. When they can't remember their names or ages, I just have to roll my eyes. I even was on a B2B once and the waiter claimed it was his last cruise but didn't have enough money to get home. Well, you guessed it, we saw him on the next cruise and he was still pulling the same line on other passengers ... up until the point where he saw us. He just looked like 'oh, well ...can't blame me for trying'.

The most egregious ploy for tips, though, was on the Coral Princess several years ago. We were traveling with a group of friends, most of which hadn't been on a cruise previously. We ordered a round of drinks and when the bar waiter came by to deliver the drinks, he handed my friend the slip to sign. She noticed the line for the tip and asked if the gratuity had already been added. He said, no, it hadn't been. When I spoke up and said it most certainly had been he argued that we should tip another 15% because he delivered the drinks and didn't receive any of the auto tip .... it went entirely to Princess and the bartender. He then said that we should tip over and above so he would get a tip .... after all, he delivered the drinks and we were stiffing him. At this point, I was outright arguing with him knowing full well that he did receive at least a portion of that 15% that was already added. Well, he never got his additional tip. We always pick a waiter that is kind and stick with ordering from them. He certainly wasn't our waiter of choice for the remainder of the cruise.

Now, with that being said, we have tipped extra (nothing extravagant, though) for those that have provided excellent service, some of which have refused and stated they are just doing their job ... but then accepted it based on our insistence. By and large, most of the staff and crew are very customer oriented and the examples I gave above are uncommon ... but in my many cruises, I have seen the tip ploy used now and again.

In the spirit of truly professional service, I have found that the majority of the crew / staff value a compliment on our post survey reviews.

So sad how many people can share these stories... While I know that crew rely on tips and auto-grats to make a living wage- to aggressively pander is just beyond tasteless.

I am with Pam on this- if you ask or hint loudly- I will be less inclined to produce "extra" (cash beyond the auto-grat).

Only time I saw this was on the Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise last year when Alfredo himself prepared a special pasta.

I leave the auto-tip on and if anyone, whether dining or cabin staff suggests I tip extra, they get nothing. I have no problem having them let me know they are leaving earlier than my disembarkation and I tip accordingly if justified. But if they ask for a tip, they don't get.

2f2c6d7b854e799a8391f8c8383bb702.jpg

Reminds me of when I was in the Army, chefs, ladles and pile of plates and some unidentifiable grub being ladled into them from a big stainless steel container.............. actually that doesn't really look very appetizing..............

Edited by Griller

Wow I can't believe all these stories of cruise staff asking for extra tips! I can't imagine how I would react if someone did that to me. Fortunately it's never happened and when I do cash tip extra, they've always acted surprised and grateful. The only time anyone has blatantly asked for tips is on the shore excursions. I always tip anyway so it's kind of annoying. The worst was a snorkel/kayak excursion in St. Thomas. When the tour was over they brought us back to where we started, sat us down and gave about an 8 minute lecture on how they make less than the minimum wage, and how tipping them is the same as tipping waiters in restaurants, etc. It was so insulting and soured an otherwise excellent experience. I guess people are just feeling desperate sometimes. It's both annoying and sad.

Also in that other tipping thread is a post that I find is credible about crew being unable to keep cash tips from passengers who remove the auto tip.

This rumor has gotten around quite a bit. Can you provide the documentation to substantiate this rumor. I've been told it's rubbish.

No documentation required, not considered a rumour as far as I am concerned, just plain fact, or are you just attempting to be inflammatory?

My information is clear and simple, if you know any differently then so be it, I have no problem with that, folk will believe whatever they wish, not a problem to me, just factual.

My information is based on the following....I have been involved in the travel industry for over forty years and own three travel companies. I obviously have contacts in the cruise industry and more specifically in this case at Princess, who I have asked the question of. I have travelled many times with Princess myself and have made it a point of asking direct questions of senior management, both at head office level and indeed on-board, concerning both this topic and numerous others travel related. I consider this particular question regarding the rules and regulations concerning gratuities to be an important one as I am constantly being asked to clarify the issue by my clients. I also verify the information provided with on-board crew members in order to satisfy myself that I am not simply accepting “the Company line”.

At all levels I have been assured that the cabin steward is required to hand into their departmental management all “tips” that passengers gift to their steward. At the end of the cruise all gratuities that have originated from passengers who have left their auto-gratuities in place have these additional “tips” returned to the steward. Any gratuity that has been handed directly to their steward from a passenger who has removed their auto-gratuity does not have these handed back as it is deposited in the crew “pool”. Subsequently, these are distributed by a percentage formula amongst crew members who Princess has determined participate in the “pool”, simple and fair I would say!

Now, if you dispute these plain and simple facts, and I notice that you do indeed like to be contentious, then so be it, it is not a problem to me.

Readers of this forum can and do make their own minds up but having passed on my own knowledge on the subject I am positively exiting from this gratuity thread, never to return!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51303697#post51303697

Reminds me of when I was in the Army, chefs, ladles and pile of plates and some unidentifiable grub being ladled into them from a big stainless steel container.............. actually that doesn't really look very appetizing..............

It was really good. :) It was a huge treat for us on that cruise to have Alfredo himself on board, just like one of the crew. Really nice man.

You obviously miss the point. This was the 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess, which was a big deal to many people. Chef Alfredo Marzi is the Head Executive chef of Princess. Alfredo's the venue is named for him. He prepared the pasta dish in the dining room, putting "skills on display," but then after it was prepared, he helped the PP head chef to serve it. Serving involved a ladle and a bowl. Even the most self-proclaimed foodie snobs on that cruise were impressed. BTW, the food on the entire cruise is the best I've ever had on Princess. I imagine the fact that there were several celebrities on board made them up their game, but I never had a bad meal on the entire two-week trip.

You obviously miss the point. This was the 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess, which was a big deal to many people. Chef Alfredo Marzi is the Head Executive chef of Princess. Alfredo's the venue is named for him. He prepared the pasta dish in the dining room, putting "skills on display," but then after it was prepared, he helped the PP head chef to serve it. Serving involved a ladle and a bowl. Even the most self-proclaimed foodie snobs on that cruise were impressed. BTW, the food on the entire cruise is the best I've ever had on Princess. I imagine the fact that there were several celebrities on board made them up their game, but I never had a bad meal on the entire two-week trip.

I've been fortunate to have Alfredo on a couple of our cruises & the food was excellent! :D

He was frequently around & it was obvious to me that he loves what he's doing when preparing food...another Italian who loves food. He's my version of a celebrity chef and is better than a TV celebrity chef from Downunder. :p ;) :D

I've been fortunate to have Alfredo on a couple of our cruises & the food was excellent! :D

He was frequently around & it was obvious to me that he loves what he's doing when preparing food...another Italian who loves food. He's my version of a celebrity chef and is better than a TV celebrity chef from Downunder. :p ;) :D

Hard to believe this is the guy who is ultimately responsible for stopping the parmesan bowl for the Fettucine Alfredo!

And who puts burgers on the formal night dinner menu!

Oh well that's mass market cruising for you, we get what we pay for.

I'm on Pacific next week so will experience first hand how its going, and then Star for the first time, and then Crown.

You obviously miss the point.
No, not really. I just had an observation about a very specific aspect of the occasion, and expressed that observation. If, by extension, you need me to say, "regardless of the occasion, and regardless of the chef" then consider those words added to my earlier comments.

He prepared the pasta dish in the dining room, putting "skills on display," but then after it was prepared, he helped the PP head chef to serve it.
It would have been both proper and preferable for the prepared pasta to be taken from the dining room and divvied up out of sight, rather than taking the easy way out and dishing it out in the dining room.

I know some folks may feel differently. That's okay. We need not all think alike. There are loads of things that I see folks complain about in these threads which I don't have a problem with. Here's something that apparently breaks the other way, perhaps with things being the way they want them to be and not the way I would prefer. There's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by bUU

Frank-

Since Italian food is a favorite of mine, I am more than a little jealous!

What I would do for a nice bowl of pasta fagioli (and NOT the Princess version) right now. Sadly, I live in NC. You can get great BBQ, but Italian? Not so much.

No, not really. I just had an observation about a very specific aspect of the occasion, and expressed that observation. If, by extension, you need me to say, "regardless of the occasion, and regardless of the chef" then consider those words added to my earlier comments.

It would have been both proper and preferable for the prepared pasta to be taken from the dining room and divvied up there, rather than taking the easy way out and dishing it out in the dining room. I know some folks may feel differently. That's okay. We need not all think alike.

Whatever. I guess you had to be there.

Hard to believe this is the guy who is ultimately responsible for stopping the parmesan bowl for the Fettucine Alfredo!

And who puts burgers on the formal night dinner menu!

Oh well that's mass market cruising for you, we get what we pay for.

I'm on Pacific next week so will experience first hand how its going, and then Star for the first time, and then Crown.

If Princess would have given Alfredo the budget they provided for Curtis Stone's menus then such cutbacks wouldn't be necessary.

The head executive chef can only create menus based on the budget provided by HQ & since siphoning off money to pay for Stone's not well received menus such cutbacks are the result.

I agree...we get what we pay for but the EC can only provide food that's within his budget.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Frank-

Since Italian food is a favorite of mine, I am more than a little jealous!

What I would do for a nice bowl of pasta fagioli (and NOT the Princess version) right now. Sadly, I live in NC. You can get great BBQ, but Italian? Not so much.

Tracie...the Princess watery pasta fagioli is nothing like my famiglia made which was thick & hearty! :D

Although the Princess version of cannoli is even worse...a cornucopia shaped puff pastry with some type of filling which I think had candied fruit instead of chocolate...YUK! :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

If Princess would have given Alfredo the budget they provided for Curtis Stone's menus then such cutbacks wouldn't be necessary.

I completely agree, Frank. Alfredo has been the Master Chef since 1974 on Princess, so when people talk about the good old days, they are talking about him. The Director of the Department of Bad Ideas has convinced the brass that people want some kind of "celebrity flash" over good food. (I wonder if An-jay Arts-sway is listening. Apparently, I have to be careful saying the name in English. ;):p:D.)

Edited by shredie

I completely agree. Alfredo has been the Master Chef since 1974 on Princess, so when people talk about the good old days, they are talking about him. The Director of the Department of Bad Ideas has convinced the brass that people want some kind of "celebrity flash" over good food. (I wonder if An-jay Arts-sway is listening. Apparently, I have to be careful saying the name in English. ;):p:D.)

Ery-Vay Unny-Fay!!! Love it!

I know that gratuities can often be a minefield and for the nations of the world where tipping is not second nature, Princess (along with most other cruise lines), have a system whereby, if we wish, a daily gratuity amount is automatically deducted from our accounts "for our convenience". We are always happy to have this applied to our account as we think it is helpful in the "who do we pay and how much do we pay" dilemma. We also think that it is only fair that the back room staff in the laundry and the kitchen etc. receive a share of the tips as well as the front line staff like the waiters and stewards. Of course, we are free to give an additional amount to anyone should we want to.

Now, three days before our steward was to leave the ship, he left a note in our stateroom saying goodbye and wishing us well for the future. A day later, he left a second note, saying something similar, but placing a couple of loose coins on the note. Then on the last day, he left a note saying goodbye and should we like to leave a tip to find him around or to give him a call.

My questions therefore are as follows. Firstly, is it in order, or indeed common practice for a steward to be so blatant as to virtually ask for a tip?

Secondly, do the stewards know whether or not a guest has decided to opt in or out of paying the daily gratuity? If so, what right does he/she to know what transactions are being passed over a guests account?

Would be interested to hear others views. Thanks.

We've never had any staff solicit tips like that.