Cunard cruise prices so high for 2017

Daveth10

I just don't understand it I paid approximately £1,100 each for a 17 night cruise October 2016 with 700$ per cabin on board spend. When I returned looked to book for 2017 and fair enough price had increased to approximately £1,400 each but still with 700$ credit. Just looked now and price has doubled and only 300$ credit.

I do not see why anyone should book in advance and believe we should all wait until prices drop to a reasonable price.

I believe an inside cabin should be no more than £70 per night per person.

Wait until last minute to book is my advice. Cunard always struggle to fill the ships. They were even selling Christmas cruises right up to a couple of days before departure

4 years ago (I think) we paid about £2200 each for 14 nights to the Baltics. That was full fare for a Britannia balcony, booked almost a year in advance. The following year, for almost the same cruise, Britannia balcony again, booked on the saver fare, booked 2 months in advance, it was about £1100 each, i.e. half the price for exactly the same thing.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Hi,

The prices start out high, but Cunard seems to frequently have sales that reduce the prices on many sailings to a reasonable level. I recently booked a short segment of the QM2's 2017 World Cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore) at an excellent price. However, I would prefer that Cunard begin with more realistic prices.

I booked my last cruise on the QM2 far in advance at a high price. However, I received a very generous upgrade.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Perhaps the insides are priced high because (at least in the US) they're promoting that a Balcony stateroom (Sheltered BZ on QM2) is the same price as an inside. Folks have noticed that at least some of the promotion is accomplished by increasing the price of the Inside cabin, but I also noticed that for the Christmas 2017 Caribbean itinerary the BZ balcony was priced lower than it was in 2015 or 2016. I've booked for 2017 but I took advantage of good pricing for a higher category balcony than we normally book.

Don't forget that the Pound is lower against other currencies than in the past. Perhaps that's affecting your fare as well.

Hi,

The prices start out high, but Cunard seems to frequently have sales that reduce the prices on many sailings to a reasonable level. I recently booked a short segment of the QM2's 2017 World Cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore) at an excellent price. However, I would prefer that Cunard begin with more realistic prices.

I booked my last cruise on the QM2 far in advance at a high price. However, I received a very generous upgrade. Chuck

Not going to happen. The starting price is "unrealistic" until somebody pays it...then it becomes market rate.

Of course it's all about supply and demand. Our Queen Vic. BE for July 2017 Med cruise started at abt. $A 4500 pp, dropped to $A 3000 in June, 12 months out, naturally we booked, went to $A 5000 and is now $A 4250. Will it go to below $A 3000 just before sailing. I don't think so.

We sometimes book early and use a direct Cunard agent. When specials or a sale comes up, we can re-book as long as the part of the fare we paid is not higher than the new fare. If that happens, we can get on-board credit or upgrades. Just call your agent.

That said, when we book late we get even better deals, with the lowest fares -and- significant on-board credit as well as upgrades.

Let me give an example: our next voyage is Jan 6 on the QE from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale and we pay $62.50 per person per day for a Balcony BB cabin with $50 on-board credit. This was originally booked at that price for an inside cabin around October 24 without the on-board credit. Another perk we sometimes get is free gratuities. Just call and ask whenever a special or sale comes up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just $62.50 (£51) pppd for a balcony - wow never seen prices that low!

If you are addressing the OP, he is from the UK. Different conditions apply to UK bookings than the US. Once booked we would lose our deposit if we re-booked at a lower price and no adjustments given.

And I've never seen an offer for free gratuities here in the UK.

If you are addressing the OP, he is from the UK. Different conditions apply to UK bookings than the US. Once booked we would lose our deposit if we re-booked at a lower price and no adjustments given.

Price comparison, as of today

May 17 Cruise on QE

Book via USA agent

Balconies from

$2,449 $175 per night

Book via Cunard direct

Banconies from £2629.00

USA Agent also offers

Up to $250 Onboard Credit for Military! (View Details)

Cruise Deal

Upgrades On Us: FREE Stateroom Upgrades, Reduced Deposits & MORE! (View Details)

Cruise Deal Upgrades On Us: Past Guest Bonus! (View Details)

Cruise Deal Free Pre-Paid Gratuities! (View Details)

"Let me give an example: our next voyage is Jan 6 on the QE from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale and we pay $62.50 per person per day for a Balcony BB cabin with $50 on-board credit. This was originally booked at that price for an inside cabin around October 24 without the on-board credit. Another perk we sometimes get is free gratuities. Just call and ask whenever a special or sale comes up."

After the last three years of 'rough' crossings everyone is avoiding the first legs of the QE and QV world cruises. Hence the price as they are desperate to fill the cabins.

Edited by gfs1ram

After the last three years of 'rough' crossings everyone is avoiding the first legs of the QE and QV world cruises. Hence the price as they are desperate to fill the cabins.

Yes, I think so, too. In January 2011, we had high storms during two nights and one day on the transatlantic with QV. She did it well and I would do it again because, in my opinion, Cunard ships are the best to cross the North Atlantic :)

Cunard uses a pricing algorithm similar to to the one airlines use. If say, three months before sailing, the ship is 70% sold and history shows that it usually is 80% sold, the prices will be dropped. Conversely, if the cabins are 90% sold, the prices on the remaining cabins will be raised.

Cunard uses a pricing algorithm similar to to the one airlines use. If say, three months before sailing, the ship is 70% sold and history shows that it usually is 80% sold, the prices will be dropped. Conversely, if the cabins are 90% sold, the prices on the remaining cabins will be raised.

Thanks for that I will check again before final payment which is about 3 months out.

Pls be aware that this rate was for an inside cabin but was later upgraded to balcony. We see the $62.50 pppd rate regularly like the 8-night crossings for $499 that often come with another $50 on-board credit. I have met people who only paid $450 for a transatlantic crossing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by DeVerm

Until we in the UK get the same booking conditions as the US (i.e. book and cancel without loss of deposit) the only point in booking early is if you really, really must have a specific sailing or if you've won the pools. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

I'm firmly now in the camp of waiting while the early bookers cancel, thereby generating a lower priced availability and then if it's attractive we'll jump in. To be honest, it's a lot easier with Celebrity where, going by posts on the forum, there seem to be more people who book multiple voyages then wobble on one or more of them before final payment.

Cunard are definately getting a lot smarter at maximising their revenue than a few years ago when they had late getaway deals even for the Grills, but there's finitie early booker loyalty and price ineleasticity that they can rely on.

• 11 months later...
Until we in the UK get the same booking conditions as the US (i.e. book and cancel without loss of deposit) the only point in booking early is if you really, really must have a specific sailing or if you've won the pools. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime. .

I agree with that I also find it difficult to get US members on here to understand once we are booked that is it.

Just recently we booked a princess cruise and shortly after I was reading how the US people had booked with a $1 deposit with$$$s OBC. Then came the sip N Sail - kept the $1 deposit and if drinkers took the drinks - (worth more than the OBC)

Then came the 3 for free so they then had the $1 deposit the drinks package an upgrade to the best in their section. AND included gratuities. Last I heard they were hoping for a price drop!!

I raised this with Princess UK who just seemed amused when I asked if there was any chance the Included gratuities could be offered to UK & Aus clients or some OBC in lieu. They were less amused when I said ok I will just cancel the gratuities when I get on board, telling me how the staff will suffer if I do that.

Supply and demand surely? We booked our upcoming cruise on the Queen Elizabeth Southampton to San Francisco (first two segments of the world cruise) plus a 3 nights stay in San Francisco way back in February/March of this year, which is the earliest se have ever booked. Because we wanted to fly back to Manchester we had to pay a supplement. The price? £2,700 pp for an inside cabin.

Since then I've occasionally looked at the price, watching it rise at one point to over £4,000 pp JUST for the cruise. In the last month the price has disappeared off the website to just 'call for a price' but I can't imagine it dropping below what we paid.

I have learned to wait patiently for the laws of supply and demand to take hold. Last minute prices for December QM crossings and late or early season Med voyages seem to meet our budget.

Edited by ew101