Why early disembarkation?

simplelife

Judging from the many posts on the subject, most people seem to want to get off the ship as early as possible on disembarkation day. I I understand that early disembarkation is necessary if one has an early flight, but otherwise, what is the appeal? Seems it would make sense to wait as long as possible, relaxing on deck or wherever, and avoid the lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The reason for me is because I don't want to have to lug my stuff around and sit on deck and such. A lot of places are closed and you have to be out of your room by 7am so they can start cleaning for the next round of passengers

We got back off the Fantasy on Monday, and were off the ship at 7:30 (I was surprised they let us get off that early even with FTTF).

Personally, I would rather get on home after a vacation. It is over and there is really nothing going on onboard at that time, except breakfast as another poster stated.

If I am just going to be sitting and waiting, I would rather do that at home sooner rather than later.

Plus, for the most part it avoids the crowds all trying to leave at the same time, which to me is more relaxing.

We drive to our ports on the east coast. As was the case last weekend, we had an 8.5 hr trip back to NC from PC and it was Christmas Eve. For us it is just a matter of getting home or getting to our next destination if that is the plan. Not that we are anxious to leave the ship. :)

It does make sense to wait as long as possible. However, the same hysteria to be on the ship as early as possible returns when it comes time to exit the ship.

Such is the choice of the traveller to wait, stand in line and grimace through the slow-moving process. Several hours of my time (and the famous "free lunch you paid for so why miss it") is not worth standing around with cranky guests caterwalling how inefficient the process is and questioning why embark/debar hasn't started.

I for one have chosen to wait to embark until the crowds have boarded and waited to embark until the crowds have gone. It's just less stressful for me. For others, the need to get where they want to be outweighs the need for leisure.

Edited by StolidCruiser

It does make sense to wait as long as possible. However, the same hysteria to be on the ship as early as possible returns when it comes time to exit the ship.

Such is the choice of the traveller to wait, stand in line and grimace through the slow-moving process. Several hours of my time (and the famous "free lunch you paid for so why miss it") is not worth standing around with cranky guests caterwalling how inefficient the process is and questioning why embark/debar hasn't started.

I for one have chosen to wait to embark until the crowds have boarded and waited to embark until the crowds have gone. It's just less stressful for me. For others, the need to get where they want to be outweighs the need for leisure.

Cruise is over and breakfast venues are crazy crowded. Better to stop quickly on road for breakfast and get home

We will be driving from New Orleans to Nashville when we get off the Dream on the 15th, so we plan to do self assist so we can be on our way as soon as possible. I kind of think it's rude for stragglers to hang around on the ship when the crew is trying to clean and get ready for the next passengers. I wouldn't want to be that kind of passenger.

I like to be first on and first off .. when its over its over .. I would rather sit at the airport and get as early flight as possible people watch and relax, I tend to skip breakfast as people act like they will not eat again until there next cruise , Lido is crazy ...

This is me. First on, first off! When it's over, it's over. At around midnight I am already thinking of all the things I have to do at home :eek:

We will be driving from New Orleans to Nashville when we get off the Dream on the 15th, so we plan to do self assist so we can be on our way as soon as possible. I kind of think it's rude for stragglers to hang around on the ship when the crew is trying to clean and get ready for the next passengers. I wouldn't want to be that kind of passenger.

Passengers have to wait for their groups to be called to disembark. There is a final disembark announcement and no one is allowed to remain past that time.So there are no stragglers.

You can still have breakfast and get off early. The lines through customs do tend to be shorter.

That is what we did. Got up early, had breakfast, gathered our stuff and went to the lounge expecting to be waiting an hour to get off.

Within five minutes of sitting they called fttf guests and we were off and through customs in under ten minutes. Out of the garage and on the interstate in another ten.

We had a short (1 hour) drive home and I had the rest of the day to relax and unpack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

We attribute much of the early disembarkation to the same queue lover fanaticism we see with travelers all over the world. So ask yourself, why wait in a queue if it is not necessary? The only answer has to be "because they want something to whine about....which is waiting in queues. As a general rule, on most of our more then 100 cruises we have been among the last to leave the ship. But on our most recent cruise (2 weeks ago) we were forced to book an early FLL flight which meant our first experience with express disembarkation. We experienced the long wait for an elevator (had too much heavy luggage to use the stairs), crowding into a confined lounge with hundreds of others, standing around with our luggage and listening to many whining about standing around with their luggage, etc. We asked just about everyone we met why they do this, and some did have early flights. But most really had no good reason other then they wanted to get off the ship.

Having done the earliest possible departure, and having often been among the last off a ship....we can say with absolute certainty that being the last off is so much more relaxing, fun, and just makes sense. When you wait you do not have to deal with lines, searching for your luggage (easy to find among the few remaining pieces), waiting in a long line for a taxi, rushing breakfast, etc. So many folks fight there way off a ship early, so they can get to an airport early, so they can wait around a crowded airport (which is not nearly as comfy as waiting in a deck chair. So hear is another true mystery. Why do folks who have Fixed Dining and an Assigned Table....wait in line (sometimes for a half hour) to get into the MDR? Or why do folks wait in a long line and fight to get a seat so they can eat lunch at noon....when there would be no lines at 12:30? And then our favorite example is airports. Lets say you are in a terminal with 3 TSA Security Lines called A, B and C. You will usually find that 1 or 2 of those lines will be very long (sometimes more then an hour wait) while 1 line will be quite short. But folks will always gravitate towards the longest line without even asking about or checking to find the short line. We think many just want to tell their friends how long they had to wait in a TSA line....and the prize must go to those who wait the longest :).

Hank

I see many say there is no line if you wait to get off later. Well I have had the opposite thing happen to us. We usually do self assist and have always had a short line at customs. Yes no line on the ship but the one time we waited to get off the ship until the end there was an extremely long, slow line to get through customs. We waited to get off because we were staying in the city for a couple of days after the cruise and knew our hotel would probably not have our room ready. Big mistake! We ended up waiting for over an hour to get through customs and then when we got to the hotel our room was ready for us.

Judging from the many posts on the subject, most people seem to want to get off the ship as early as possible on disembarkation day. I I understand that early disembarkation is necessary if one has an early flight, but otherwise, what is the appeal? Seems it would make sense to wait as long as possible, relaxing on deck or wherever, and avoid the lines.

My story is similar to some others who have posted here. Beyond breakfast, there's very little that can be done on the ship that can't be done better at the airport. So I figure I might as well get on with life and keep moving.

Your cruise has essentially ended late the night before - when you put your bags outside the door. Aside from breakfast - which can be a grim hassle as the Lido is likely to be a swarm of people after their last shot at an all-you-can-eat pig-out. Of course, there is no point in rushing to stand on the stairs, so you want to find a comfortable place to sit until your group is called to disembark. But, other things being equal, I prefer to be among the earliest groups: I have a life off the ship, which I would like to get on with. Because we almost always spend the night at a local hotel/motel and fly home the next day -- which gives a much wider choice of (often less expensive) flights -while allowing us to shoot for a reasonable arrival time at the airport; we want to get there and relax.

If folks could wait in their cabin, I think there would be a lot less anxiety for getting off the ship as soon as possible. We got to experience a relaxed wait once when we booked a suite. But once passengers are forced out of their cabin into crowed waiting areas, the experience is more like being part of a herd of cattle rather than a final great cruise experience. It's normal for humans to want to get away from that environment as fast as possible.

Burt

It depends.

I can get to work in about 30-40 minutes from Miami and 15 minutes from Port Everglades. I don't need to be first to do that, I'll have a breakfast and walk off; good for short cruises where I don't need to check luggage. But still on the earlier side.

If I am checking luggage and don't need to try to get to work (weekend arrival) I go to the dining room, order breakfast, and then aim to be off by 9:30 AM. Usually the crowds have died down and people that NEED to be off early are gone; I don't need to be in their way since I am not rushing for a plane.

In our case if we case we like to leave the shop early, especially on a Saturday, so we can get to the vet's office to pickup our fur baby before noon. If we don't we'll have to pay two extra days Saturday and Sunday. Its not cheap and after boarding her for 9 or more days I prefer she's home instead of having to stay in a small confine space (she's a cat. Dogs are giving more space) for more than necessary.

I get off as soon as I can. There is never anywhere to sit on the ship and the whole atmosphere is gloomy (at least to me). I personally prefer to get off the ship and head to the airport, because getting through airport security gives me anxiety, especially in Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk