All inclusive Beverage Package

pjcruiser1

I was wondering if you can purchase the beverage package once you embark on your voyage or does it have to be purchased in advance?

If you are thinking it will be cheaper on board, it won't be. They have it figured out. Either buy it in advance or as soon as you get aboard.

If you wait until you are onboard and then wait until the second day to purchase you will still be charged for the first day. Either get it in advance or immediately upon boarding. Since the cost is the same I can see no value to waiting unless you want to pay for it using OBC.

Actually, I would probably put off buying it in advance. It is a big ticket item- and if you had a medical condition (e.g. taking an antibiotic for a UTI) that precluded you from drinking alcohol- this could be a big waste of money.

Actually, I would probably put off buying it in advance. It is a big ticket item- and if you had a medical condition (e.g. taking an antibiotic for a UTI) that precluded you from drinking alcohol- this could be a big waste of money.

I would never pay for it but it was included as a perk in my next two cruises. Since the price this year without the package was the same is it is next year with the package it was a no-brainer.

I never thought of that good reason for waiting.

Tony

Something similar happened to me a couple weeks ago with our Celebrity Silhouette cruise. Our booking included the "Go Best" package, which for those unfamiliar with Celebrity's perks, includes their "Premium Beverage Package" and other items. After booking, and before our cruise, I got doctor's orders for "no drinking" until further notice due to liver problems of unknown causes (not due to drinking though). Therefore, my wife was drinking mainly wine the entire cruise while I was stuck with bottled water and good coffee.

Even though I did not really get to use my Beverage Package, it was included in the main booking and could not have been eliminated without us losing more money than just the Beverage Package. Hard to explain, but removing the "Go Best" perk at the time of booking would have cost us more than leaving it in. The same thing would have applied to a couple making that same booking that did not drink at all. Cruise bookings are a fun game - LOL.

Something similar happened to me a couple weeks ago with our Celebrity Silhouette cruise. Our booking included the "Go Best" package, which for those unfamiliar with Celebrity's perks, includes their "Premium Beverage Package" and other items. After booking, and before our cruise, I got doctor's orders for "no drinking" until further notice due to liver problems of unknown causes (not due to drinking though). Therefore, my wife was drinking mainly wine the entire cruise while I was stuck with bottled water and good coffee.

Even though I did not really get to use my Beverage Package, it was included in the main booking and could not have been eliminated without us losing more money than just the Beverage Package. Hard to explain, but removing the "Go Best" perk at the time of booking would have cost us more than leaving it in. The same thing would have applied to a couple making that same booking that did not drink at all. Cruise bookings are a fun game - LOL.

Not really sure why you could not have booked the Big or Better option. The Big would have been $45 less per day per person. Perhaos you received the Best for the price of the Big which was a special for a suit booking. Neither would have cost you more.

No wonder it is hard to explain. Besides the other Best perks have value without the drink package.

Not really sure why you could not have booked the Big or Better option. The Big would have been $45 less per day per person. Perhaos you received the Best for the price of the Big which was a special for a suit booking. Neither would have cost you more.

No wonder it is hard to explain. Besides the other Best perks have value without the drink package.

At the time of booking, the Go Best was the only option offered (for CC and above I think, we were booking an AQ), or none. The other non-drink package perks covered the gratuities, unlimited free Internet, and $150 OBC @ ($300 total). The included gratuities and OBC credit alone more than covered the small increase in cost to go with the Go Best Package. Even though I could not use much of the drink perk we still saved money. To expand on this weird story, we booked an AQ QTY. When I made the final payment they immediately assigned us to an AQ2 and probably the worst one; directly under the gym (some help being Elite!). I called the Captain's Club and they moved us to another AQ2, but in a much better location.

Now for the kicker. The sailing was sold out, but I kept checking back just incase something interesting poped-up. About 7 days out a Sky Suite became available so I called the Captain's Club again and was able to move from an AQ2 to a SS2 for $300@, and was able to keep all my earlier booking perks. What a deal! The best $600 ever. I guess it pays to keep checking......

Sorry for stealing a Princess thread. We will be on the Regal 1/28 in a Club Class cabin (that cost about $100@ over a MS QTY). It will be an interesting comparison.

(Note: All prices mentioned were from the each cruise line's respective web sites or by calling them directly (Celebrity). I do not use a TA.)

Edited by sptrout

If you are thinking it will be cheaper on board, it won't be. They have it figured out. Either buy it in advance or as soon as you get aboard.

For Canadian cruisers, it may be cheaper to purchase it in advance via the Cruise Personalizer. We are on the Ruby on January 28th to Mexico and the exchange rate we got for this booking was at 30%. Today, the US exchange rate is 35%. So you will save if you pre-purchase versus buying onboard. If you do not have enough OBC to cover the cost, the amount will be charged to the credit card on your onboard account and depending on your credit card company, they could charge a processing fee of up to 3% on top of the current exchange rate. :eek:

This also applies for any other purchases you may buy onboard that you can purchase ahead of time. (e.g.: coffee card, balcony dining, etc.)

Paul

Edited by cruisincdns

At the time of booking, the Go Best was the only option offered (for CC and above I think, we were booking an AQ), or none. The other non-drink package perks covered the gratuities, unlimited free Internet, and $150 OBC @ ($300 total). The included gratuities and OBC credit alone more than covered the small increase in cost to go with the Go Best Package. Even though I could not use much of the drink perk we still saved money. To expand on this weird story, we booked an AQ QTY. When I made the final payment they immediately assigned us to an AQ2 and probably the worst one; directly under the gym (some help being Elite!). I called the Captain's Club and they moved us to another AQ2, but in a much better location.

Now for the kicker. The sailing was sold out, but I kept checking back just incase something interesting poped-up. About 7 days out a Sky Suite became available so I called the Captain's Club again and was able to move from an AQ2 to a SS2 for $300@, and was able to keep all my earlier booking perks. What a deal! The best $600 ever. I guess it pays to keep checking......

Sorry for stealing a Princess thread. We will be on the Regal 1/28 in a Club Class cabin (that cost about $100@ over a MS QTY). It will be an interesting comparison.

(Note: All prices mentioned were from the each cruise line's respective web sites or by calling them directly (Celebrity). I do not use a TA.)

True. Congratulations. I remember the deal you actual got the Best for the Big price so you did not lose anything, but got a good deal.

Thanks! I thought when they first introduced the package all adults in the cabin had to get it. I may be thinking of another cruise line we sailed on.

No, it did start that way but quickly changed. Some lines still require all passengers in the cabin over 21 to buy their package but Princess doesn't.

If you buy on board you can use OBC for it.

PS: We saw a difference to the terms of when you can buy the package on a recent Island Princess cruise, so check the patter when you get aboard:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51802464&postcount=665

From the Patter: "Package can be purchased any day of the cruise and will be effective from the time and day of sign up. The All Inclusive Package can be purchased no later than 4 days prior to the voyage ends."

If you buy on board you can use OBC for it.

PS: We saw a difference to the terms of when you can buy the package on a recent Island Princess cruise, so check the patter when you get aboard:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51802464&postcount=665

From the Patter: "Package can be purchased any day of the cruise and will be effective from the time and day of sign up. The All Inclusive Package can be purchased no later than 4 days prior to the voyage ends."

If on a 12 day cruise on the Island, you can purchase it on day 7 and only be charged from that day?