What happened to the 14 day cruise itineraries?

tinybabynurse

TBM's Hubby here:

We try to take a 14-day cruise in late fall and then another in early spring. We like those to be in November/early December and February/March time frames. We book far in advance, for various reasons, and are currently looking for spring 2019 bookings. Presently, there is only ONE available 14-day Caribbean cruise itinerary from Florida for all of 2019. That one departs January 4, 2019. All others we could find are 12 days or less. This is a notable departure from previous years and even from 2018 when there were/are abundant choices. I am hoping that there will be some 14-day trips added and available with their new ships, but who knows.

Because I thought that I must somehow, suddenly be unable to properly search the internet I called. Just off the phone and had a pleasant chat with Charles at Celebrity. He confirmed only one option is presently available and that virtually all 2019 Caribbean cruises are 10-, 11-, or 12-day itineraries. Why that change had occurred was, "above his pay grade", he said. He said he had no information about the itineraries of the new ships.

We are a pretty disappointed pair of loyal Celebrity Cruisers right now.

You aren't making an error in your search.

Earlier this month aboard Eclipse a Future Cruise Representative told us that Celebrity is going from 14 night to 9, 10, 11 and 12 night Caribbean itineraries in order to broaden it's market reach for those people who cannot take time off work for a 14 night. They will also offer more 4 - 5 night Caribbean cruises with the redeployment of Infinity. Reductions will start in 2018 and there may be no 14-night Caribbean cruises by the end of 2019.

TBM's Hubby here:

We try to take a 14-day cruise in late fall and then another in early spring. We like those to be in November/early December and February/March time frames. We book far in advance, for various reasons, and are currently looking for spring 2019 bookings. Presently, there is only ONE available 14-day Caribbean cruise itinerary from Florida for all of 2019. That one departs January 4, 2019. All others we could find are 12 days or less. This is a notable departure from previous years and even from 2018 when there were/are abundant choices. I am hoping that there will be some 14-day trips added and available with their new ships, but who knows.

Because I thought that I must somehow, suddenly be unable to properly search the internet I called. Just off the phone and had a pleasant chat with Charles at Celebrity. He confirmed only one option is presently available and that virtually all 2019 Caribbean cruises are 10-, 11-, or 12-day itineraries. Why that change had occurred was, "above his pay grade", he said. He said he had no information about the itineraries of the new ships.

We are a pretty disappointed pair of loyal Celebrity Cruisers right now.

That is a bummer. We loved the 14/15 day itineraries in general. Only done 14 day Caribbean, the Southern Caribbean, on Constellation/Eclipse. Can't think of too many other itineraries they might do. We are on a 12 day Caribbean for January 2018. I could have enjoyed 2 more days! :) Would have booked a 14 day over a 12 if it had been available.

Earlier this month aboard Eclipse a Future Cruise Representative told us that Celebrity is going from 14 night to 9, 10, 11 and 12 night Caribbean itineraries in order to broaden it's market reach for those people who cannot take time off work for a 14 night.

While I think the idea of broadening their market is a great idea, whoever did the actual scheduling didn't take that into account very well for people who work Monday through Friday. I realize that isn't everyone, but I suspect it's a lot of people who cruise X. When I saw the 12 night cruises I though great, still good compared to the 14 night Eclipse cruise we did, but we could save a few vacation days. However, because of how X scheduled them every single one I looked at still required two weeks off. Same was true for the 11 night sailing. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if I'm going to take two weeks off work I'd rather take the longer, and better (IMHO), Eclipse sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the past, the 14 night Eclipse itineraries were always great sellers. Just look at the price and availability when they first come out, and see how fast those ships fill up. My guess is the new Edge Class will be taking over the 14 night sailings, and Celebrity has yet to release these sailings to the public. I think it is just one of their market ploys and will have lots of hype to try to keep the price as inflated as possible.

Time will tell . . . .

When cruiselines release new cruiseships they often want them to touch and reach as many people as possible. Which means they use them for 7 night itineraries and then 10-11-12 European itineraries....Rarely are new ships used for long itineraries......they usually get older ships.....like the Millennium doing 14 day trips around Asia...... FYI.

When cruiselines release new cruiseships they often want them to touch and reach as many people as possible. Which means they use them for 7 night itineraries and then 10-11-12 European itineraries....Rarely are new ships used for long itineraries......they usually get older ships.....like the Millennium doing 14 day trips around Asia...... FYI.

Totally agree. I think the first Edge class ship would be the last to do 14-day trips, but only time will tell. And since all reports are that this class will be very suite-centric (and thus, in =X= current thinking, wildly expensive per diem) shorter cruises will be an easier pill to swallow.

Some things I believe and some speculation.

All the 14-days we have been on have supposedly been sold out.

Judging from the age group on those it appears having to get back to work is pretty far down the list. Many older than me and I just turned 70.

I'm GUESSING that this the tried and true 'new and improved package' ploy where the new 'packaging' obscures the fact that the contents have been reduced or otherwise degraded. My unsupported logic is that an increased perdiem rate is expected to be obscured by the reduced number of days so the cruise cost looks to be less.

I guess time will tell but, as I said earlier, =X= has a a couple of unhappy (Elite +) customers

Some things I believe and some speculation.

All the 14-days we have been on have supposedly been sold out.

Judging from the age group on those it appears having to get back to work is pretty far down the list. Many older than me and I just turned 70.

I'm GUESSING that this the tried and true 'new and improved package' ploy where the new 'packaging' obscures the fact that the contents have been reduced or otherwise degraded. My unsupported logic is that an increased perdiem rate is expected to be obscured by the reduced number of days so the cruise cost looks to be less.

I guess time will tell but, as I said earlier, =X= has a a couple of unhappy (Elite +) customers

You may be correct about some speculation but we booked our 2019 Caribbean cruises the day they opened while we were on Eclipse. 14 nights were not sold out for April/May 2019. There were no 14 night Caribbean cruises in April/May 2019. We are Elite + and also and not pleased about the new itineraries. 14 nights were great.

Sorry to be confused but my search and the Celebrity Rep told me the only 14-day Caribbean cruise from FL for 2019 was January 4. All others listed were 12-days or less. There were quite a few available for 2018. Maybe I missed something.

To be clear we were only checking on the Carribean and all my comments apply only to the Caribbean and cruises leaving Florida.

Edited by tinybabynurse
Mispelled word

Sorry to be confused but my search and the Celebrity Rep told me the only 14-day Caribbean cruise from FL for 2019 was January 4. All others listed were 12-days or less. There were quite a few available for 2018. Mabe I missed something.

To be clear we were only checking on the Carribean and all my comments apply only to the Caribbean and cruises leaving Florida.

You are right. I think there are just a few 14 day cruises in the Caribbean in the new releases. The Eclipse is being moved.

I am also disappointed and I wonder if the 2019 cruises are a test. Some of us might do a B2B with a 9 day for a total of 21 days. Perhaps when the Edge does the 7 day cruises one of the other ships we start regular 14 day cruises in late 2019 and 2020.

Although I would love it I have little hope that the Edge Class will do a 14 day cruises in 2019 when released next year. If yes I would most likely book it.

Sorry to be confused but my search and the Celebrity Rep told me the only 14-day Caribbean cruise from FL for 2019 was January 4. All others listed were 12-days or less. There were quite a few available for 2018. Maybe I missed something.

Sorry if my comment was confusing. There are no 14 night Caribbean cruises offered in Apr/May 2019 on Celebrity. Please accept my sincere apology. Now...it's almost time to celebrate 2017! Happy New Year!

We previously posted this info, but will again respond to the OP. Cruise lines are in the business to maximize their profits and a big part of this is generated from "onboard revenue." In most cases, the shorter cruises (especially in the Caribbean) generate more onboard revenue per passenger day, then a 14 day+ cruise. Why? There might be some debate, but it is surmised that that shorter cruises attract a younger clientèle who will quickly part with their money for drinks, photos, cruise ship excursions, gambling, etc. Longer cruises attract older (moi) passengers who are more reserved in their spending. For example, we have been cruising for over forty years and would never dream of buying a photo, taking an excursion, throwing our money away on overpriced so-called art, etc. The cruise lines do still seek us out (because we cruised over 100 days this year) but would be happy to replace us to a younger working couple who is happy to spend money. For us, the shorter itineraries simply means booking back to backs or more. So the lines figure they get the best of both worlds by shortening cruises to attract the working folks.

Many cruisers are aware of Holland America's reputation of attracting Seniors...and its true. The reason is that HAL routinely does long itineraries (we have done many cruises with them that are over 30 days.....and some over 60 days). But HAL uses a somewhat different business model which does seem to work for that line.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

While I think the idea of broadening their market is a great idea, whoever did the actual scheduling didn't take that into account very well for people who work Monday through Friday. I realize that isn't everyone, but I suspect it's a lot of people who cruise X. When I saw the 12 night cruises I though great, still good compared to the 14 night Eclipse cruise we did, but we could save a few vacation days. However, because of how X scheduled them every single one I looked at still required two weeks off. Same was true for the 11 night sailing. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if I'm going to take two weeks off work I'd rather take the longer, and better (IMHO), Eclipse sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not everyone lives in Florida. By making them 12 days people now have a travel day at either end to be able to take only 2 weeks off.