Great Stirrup Cay?

Wisconsin995

We leave in a couple of weeks to sail on the Epic. We are used to Disney cruises so forgive me for sounding ridiculous :o.

I'm wondering if the lagoon area is now only for the Haven guests. Or if anyone can go? We have smaller children and I'd prefer to be away from crowds and crazy party people. I can't even find a recent map of the island. I know they are refurbishing, but the cruises the last few weeks have gone...what have you seen?

Tram still an option to the other end? Or only for the Haven?

Many thanks!

Edited by Wisconsin995

Well that stinks. I don't need the lagoon, but I'd like to have a quieter spot away from crowds...guess that won't happen. I've never been but from what I understand there are two eating spots, correct? Were both open? And the line was still that long? :confused:

Edited by Wisconsin995

We love the peace & quiet over at the more secluded lagoon, it's only open when the mega-ship docked there and not open with the smaller Dawn/Jewel/Gem class ships (unless there's 2 of them) as the crowds are much smaller.

I can't imagine taking the trams away entirely, maybe operations temporary suspeneded until the remodeling is finished & done, then, do a grand re-opening and promote the exclusivity for Haven membership while cruising :D - but, the DYKWIA crowd aren't going to spend 20 or 30 minutes walking over there from the tender pier and then back again ... private go-karts instead of the longer trams, just kidding :p ;)

We aren't scheduled to attempt our tendering stop there until this May, plenty of time to read about other scouting reports here on CC and get all the "intel" - plan B, stay on the ship while the herds fight its way to get ashore ... in air-conditioned comfort, food choices equal and/or better to what's on GSC, which the crew had to transfer & bring ashore anyway.

Just FYI, previously, when the Breakaway docked there successfully - both places open & they had F&B setup, lagoon was definitiely quiet and virtually no lines, tons of loungers unclaimed so the hogs were not an issue, still enough clam shells to rent for the day, on the spot - sign for it & crew will set it up for you.

http://imgurcom/a/zKnDV Please click the link, then add the "." back in before "com"

I'm sorry, I don't understand how to work around the ridiculous image posting rules.

The image above is old (and also not mine), but I have added some things to it in the hopes of giving people a slightly better idea of the current state of GSC.

We were there on December 24th, 2016 with the Epic.

The main beach area near the Bacardi bar was loud and very crowded all day.

For a quiet spot - The area I shaded in green is where we settled for the day. We got there around 9:30am and there were only about 15 people there (plus the people in high numbered Cabanas up behind us). It stayed very quiet until around 11am when people started noticing the area existed. When we left around 1pm, the loungers and clamshells in this area were not quite half full. We did not encounter a line at the bar there. There are restrooms up behind the cabanas roughly were the map says "T3."

The area shaded in red is closed by a construction fence. Probably everything behind and past the small cabanas is closed off, but I didn't try to go back there.

The new taco bar, Abaco Taco was open. It is complimentary and open the same hours as the buffet. It is in the area next to the Patron Bar and straw market - just to your right once you tender onto the island. They had 3 types of premade taco: softshell with ground beef, softshell with shredded chicken, and softshell with fish. They are all seasoned, so no plain options - and I found the chicken way over-sauced and spicy. It is buffet style: You grab your tacos then dish your own toppings.

The Hippo Slide and the Snorkel Trail are gone.

Edited by GirlGamer001

http://imgurcom/a/zKnDV Please click the link, then add the "." back in before "com"

I'm sorry, I don't understand how to work around the ridiculous image posting rules.

The image above is old (and also not mine), but I have added some things to it in the hopes of giving people a slightly better idea of the current state of GSC.

For a quiet spot - The area I shaded in green is where we settled for the day. We got there around 9:30am and there were only about 15 people there (plus the people in high numbered Cabanas up behind us). It stayed very quiet until around 11am when people started noticing the area existed. When we left around 1pm, the loungers and clamshells in this area were not quite half full. We did not encounter a line at the bar there. There are restrooms up behind the cabanas roughly were the map says "T3."

The area shaded in red is closed by a construction fence. Probably everything behind and past the small cabanas is closed off, but I didn't try to go back there.

The new taco bar, Abaco Taco was open. It is complimentary and open the same hours as the buffet. It is in the area next to the Patron Bar and straw market - just to your right once you tender onto the island. They had 3 types of premade taco: softshell with ground beef, softshell with shredded chicken, and softshell with fish. They are all seasoned, so no plain options - and I found the chicken way over-sauced and spicy. It is buffet style: You grab your tacos then dish your own toppings.

I appreciate the feedback! I can't get the link to work as I'm new here and technologically behind.:o.

i was in dec 11 cruise. i walked to the 'third' beach away from the main beach. got a clamshell and was very happy. wasnt too crowded there. there was a further beach to go to but i never went that far.

i was looking forward to the lagoon but .....

I'd love to see the image. Headed there in February. Please just give the link written out like yahoo dot com - or something similar. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by happy cruzin

I wouldn't worry too much about a party crowd, that wasn't our experience. Unless "party crowd" means people drinking alcohol, in which case you should probably cancel the cruise as people are drinking everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the pic from the link above

2lkr4uh.jpg

We were in the section of 'reserved' clamshells by the taco bar and straw market on Dec 28 with the Sky. Our excursion ticket called it Beach 3. It was pretty quiet, probably because it was far from the buffet and main attractions. We really liked it.

Thanks!!!

So....you walked over to the green shaded area?? Was it an easy walk?? How long did it take??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

i made it over to that small cabana area with a blind person and 2 kids so i'm sure you can too :) i did not time it but even with them in tow it was probably 5 to 10 min. in no way prohibitive. there are also partial paved walkways if you look for them. stay high off beach to get them.

i made it over to that small cabana area with a blind person and 2 kids so i'm sure you can too :) i did not time it but even with them in tow it was probably 5 to 10 min. in no way prohibitive. there are also partial paved walkways if you look for them. stay high off beach to get them.

Thanks!

Thanks!

YW. the walk back to the buffet wasnt fun but thats the price for less people.

LISTEN to the workers in line that tell you to move to another line. i normally dont line jump but i watched and yes, the other line did move more quickly. i should have moved

does anyone know what you are supposed to do with your plates after you are done? i could find no central repository for them even within each beach

• 2 weeks later...