Where did the good deals go???

SummerLovin1

I've been watching for months now, and have yet to see anything close to what we paid just a year ago... Not only is the cruise itself more expensive, but the perks are not as great either. Last year in addition to being able to pick 2 of the Free At Sea offers, we also had the 3rd and 4th guest sail free, plus a free 50 photo package AND $100 OBC.

Any insight as to whether deals this good will ever come around again?

I've been watching for months now, and have yet to see anything close to what we paid just a year ago... Not only is the cruise itself more expensive, but the perks are not as great either. Last year in addition to being able to pick 2 of the Free At Sea offers, we also had the 3rd and 4th guest sail free, plus a free 50 photo package AND $100 OBC.

We used to find killer last-minute deals in January after the holidays....sailing IN January.

Not the last couple of years we haven't, this new year seems to be even worse. Nothing on NCL, nothing on Princess, nothing on Carnival. At least

not at the $50 (person per day + port charges/taxes/fees) price point or less we are used to paying for last-minute deals.

I'm dyin' here!

I'm not finding hardly any deals on any cruise lines. I guess the cruise lines are filling their berths or just biting the bullet holding the line on price. Pre-paid gratuities is real money, but I couldn't care less about free booze, premium dining or Internet and I cruise solo so 3rd and 4th guest free means nothing to me.

I hope something breaks soon or my only hope is a last minute TA until next September.

I'm dyin' here!

I'm not finding hardly any deals on any cruise lines. I guess the cruise lines are filling their berths or just biting the bullet holding the line on price. Pre-paid gratuities is real money, but I couldn't care less about free booze, premium dining or Internet and I cruise solo so 3rd and 4th guest free means nothing to me.

I hope something breaks soon or my only hope is a last minute TA until next September.

I hear you Lido Deck and I feel your pain as well!

I priced cruises for the first time in several months. The prices were too high so another year I wont be cruising. There are still some fair prices for inside cabins. In 2013 5 family members cruised a 2 bedroom suite on Epic for about $5,000. A 2 bedroom suite now is about $8400. Its has increased so much that when the family comes back we are renting a beach cottage in the keys.

I assume NCL is filling the cabins at these prices with the (paid for) promos because the prices have remained consistent for well over a year now.

I assume NCL is filling the cabins at these prices with the (paid for) promos because the prices have remained consistent for well over a year now.

Agreed. The odd thing is that it's contradictory to the increased capacity (lots of new builds, almost no decommissions?) but it works for the cruise lines I guess..

Even if all the extra capacity would be going to new markets there's still no explanation for a decrease in capacity which could explain the higher prices..

I priced cruises for the first time in several months. The prices were too high so another year I wont be cruising. There are still some fair prices for inside cabins. In 2013 5 family members cruised a 2 bedroom suite on Epic for about $5,000. A 2 bedroom suite now is about $8400. Its has increased so much that when the family comes back we are renting a beach cottage in the keys.

I noticed that Europe 2017 suite prices were a lot less than 2106. The prices in 2016 were insane. 17k for a 2 bedroom non haven suite. 64k for a GV. There were tons of last minute upsells. 2017 season they priced them much lower and they are selling much better. Id much rather pay a little more upfront for a set room than play fire sale last minute upsell game. I agree that prices overall have seen an increase compared to a few years ago but the economy recovered and so the days of incredible deals are gone for the most part. In 2013 we sailed last minute 7 nt Pearl inside stateroom Alaska for less than our port fees thanks to the resident discount. I didn't see any resident discounts last couple seasons and certainly no cruise to Alaska for less than port fees on any lines.

Edited by littlelulu01

Depends on what cruises you are looking at. We just booked the Gem on a 10 day Caribbean out of NYC in March and paid $3600 for 4 people including port charges and the drink package (with added charge) in a minisuite. We got $300 OBC plus the free room calls, photo package, 100 min Internet, and 10 pic package.

Agreed. The odd thing is that it's contradictory to the increased capacity (lots of new builds, almost no decommissions?) but it works for the cruise lines I guess..

Even if all the extra capacity would be going to new markets there's still no explanation for a decrease in capacity which could explain the higher prices..

The entire cruising industry is contradictory. During recessions where people vacation less and spend less money, the cruise lines had record years. Maybe if the economy continues to get better we will see better pricing ;)

The entire cruising industry is contradictory. During recessions where people vacation less and spend less money, the cruise lines had record years. Maybe if the economy continues to get better we will see better pricing ;)

Not so sure about that. They were serving lobster included with the fare, back then and letting people bring a Coke and a bottle of water on board. If anything I'd think the envelope will be pushed as far as possible and only when it does not work anymore will they cut prices. Kinda like the insane suite prices for Europe 2016 that were a total bust- they didn't make the same mistake this year.

I feel like cruising is all about timing. When I traveled during the Thanksgiving holiday of course the prices were (of course) higher and the Free At Sea promo like 3rd person free wasn't being offered on that sailing. You may have to change around your dates or even look at different companies. I think there are sites that alert you when certain travel prices change so maybe subscribe to those as well.

I'm to new to NCL to know what better deals there use to be. But I have to say that on NCL I've gotten better deals and offers then on the other 3 different cruise lines I traveled on in the past. OBC and things like that I was never offered until I found them on NCL. I guess a lot of them offer these now perhaps, but not any of them on my past cruises.

I am wondering the same thing!! I think cruising must be very popular right now as they ship I wanted to sail on in February is sold out! Usually when we book in January, we have no problems finding ships to go on even a few weeks out.

We scored a deal @ Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada via C.C.'s sister company Jetsetter. ;)

Depends on what cruises you are looking at. We just booked the Gem on a 10 day Caribbean out of NYC in March and paid $3600 for 4 people including port charges and the drink package (with added charge) in a minisuite. We got $300 OBC plus the free room calls, photo package, 100 min Internet, and 10 pic package.

That's $900 per person. I'm used to getting three 7 day cruises for that kind of money.

Oh, yeah...And that's cruising solo.

I feel like cruising is all about timing. When I traveled during the Thanksgiving holiday of course the prices were (of course) higher and the Free At Sea promo like 3rd person free wasn't being offered on that sailing. You may have to change around your dates or even look at different companies. I think there are sites that alert you when certain travel prices change so maybe subscribe to those as well.

Thanksgiving is usually one of the bargain periods because it's at the back end of hurricane season and bookings are usually light because people don't cruise over Thanksgiving like they do Christmas and NYE.

What gets me is the site that doesn't keep itself current.

I had been looking at an awesome $199 rate for 3 days and decided on the 4th day to book it.

I went to book and the price jumped to $319 for the cheapest cabin available, in spite of the fact that it said $199 when I clicked to book.

I called NCL and was told that their website only refreshes prices once every few days and that there was nothing that could be done about it.

Even after I booked at the $319 rate I continued to go back for the next 2 days to see the price STILL advertised at $199.

It was a bit of a tease.

I know now not to wait, though. Lesson learned.

Edited by CrazyKoi