What airport do we fly into...

SugarTwist

If our ship leaves out of Port Canaveral, what airport do we fly into? We've always driven in and our kids nor my husband want to do another 16 hour drive, so we decided to possibly fly.

Thanks in Advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For most travelers, Orlando. Carnival operates shuttle buses from the airport to the seaport.

If our ship leaves out of Port Canaveral, what airport do we fly into? We've always driven in and our kids nor my husband want to do another 16 hour drive, so we decided to possibly fly.

Thanks in Advance

The cheapest would be Orlando (MCO) and the closest would be Melbourne (MLB)

Thanks in Advance

We've done three cruises out of Port Canaveral, with another coming up in March and have always driven, (ATL) is not that bad of a drive. I believe PC is about 60 miles (1-1-half drive, depends on traffic) so you can find a hotel with shuttle service and fly in the day before, or book a shuttle service with the cruise line or an independent service at the airport the day of. The only problem with the second is, you do NOT want some sort of problem with an airline reservations system crash leaving you stranded at a distant airport forcing you to drive such a long distance at the last minute. My wife and I had to do that on a cruise out of Miami and got to the pier at 3 pm. We barley made it, way too close for comfort. :(

Thanks in Advance

Most people fly into MCO in Orlando when they cruise out of Port Canaveral. If you typically fly from a city that Southwest Airlines services, remember their fares do not show in the mainstream online booking engines. You must go to their website.

If you fly in a day early and make your own arrangements for transfer to the port (I last used Florida Town Car Service), a popular hotel option is Radisson Resort at the Port.

Have a great cruise!

We've done three cruises out of Port Canaveral, with another coming up in March and have always driven, (ATL) is not that bad of a drive. I believe PC is about 60 miles (1-1-half drive, depends on traffic) so you can find a hotel with shuttle service and fly in the day before, or book a shuttle service with the cruise line or an independent service at the airport the day of. The only problem with the second is, you do NOT want some sort of problem with an airline reservations system crash leaving you stranded at a distant airport forcing you to drive such a long distance at the last minute. My wife and I had to do that on a cruise out of Miami and got to the pier at 3 pm. We barley made it, way too close for comfort. :(

It's 40 miles from the Orlando airport to the port. No more than 45 min with normal traffic.

We just made our flight reservations for October; flying in and out of Orlando.

However you might get some good fares out of Melbourne.

And if you're feeling lucky, Allegiant flies into Sanford. Allegiant is among the lowest fares; however they cancel too many flights at the last minute. I don't trust them.

You can also look into Daytona as well.

Another option is Sanford/Orlando Airport. Small airport, never crowded, about 60 miles north of Port Canaveral. Sometimes you can find a bargain.

He problem with SFB is that it's all European charter airlines and the only domestic option is Allegiant. Yuck. Don't fly them. They're in the news so often down here that none of us locals will every fly them.

MLB is my home airport. It has direct flights to ATL (Delta), CLT (Charlotte - AA) and YTZ (Toronto - Porter). Prices are sometimes better than MCO, sometimes not. Schedules are often better out of MCO though since it has more airlines with more frequent service to more cities. There's a small upstart airline Elite Airways that uses MLB as a main base but I'm not sure where they fly from here. They fly stupid little CRJs though.

DAB isn't a terrible option either for people flying in to Port Canaveral.

You didn't ask about transfers to the port but several locations do one way rentals from Orlando.

Last time we flew Southwest into Orlando and did a rental through Avis.

Rental car companies don't charge a one-way drop fee for rentals within Florida also which makes this much more affordable. I do one way car rentals from MLB to MCO for flights regularly if it's a longer flight and a $10 Uber from my house to/from MLB and the car rental each way are cheaper than expensive airport parking. Usually you can find them for around $35 each way.

As you can see I never post comments, but seeing this thread I wanted to share our recent experience flying into and out of MLB (Melbourne) for our cruise on the Carnival Magic. This is a very small airport but by far THE best airport we have ever been to!

We arrived on Dec. 23rd and as we got off the plane we were greeted by a group of four or five men and women dressed in old time costume singing Christmas songs. It was just a very warm, neat thing to see.

It took us maybe 2 minutes to walk from plane to the 1 (yes ONE) and only baggage claim conveyor belt. Very easy!

We had made reservations ahead of time with Melbourne Airport Express to take us from the airport to our hotel in Cocoa Beach. They have a desk near baggage claim. We walked up, gave them our name, paid for round trip transportation to the hotel and arranged for them to pick us up at the port at the end of our cruise. Very easy!

When we arrived back at MLB the following week, we went in and walked maybe 10 steps right up to the ticket counter (Delta) to check in. Not one person ahead of us. We stopped at their one and only cafe and ordered some food. The food and service was very good. Their "gift shop" consisted of a few magnets, coffee mugs, post cards and toiletry items (small but nice). If you're looking for airport gift shops and food venues galore, this isn't the airport for you. ;)

Time to go through security check. There was 1 (yes ONE) very friendly security check-in guy. We walked right up. No lines! There were I think, 1 or 2 people ahead of us placing their carry-ons on the conveyor belt. NO lines!

It's hard to explain and sounds really corny, but it was almost like taking a step back in time. It is small, very clean inside and outside and EVERY employee we encountered was extremely nice, friendly and helpful. Far from the hectic hustle and bustle and crowds of the bigger airports. For us it was the easiest and most relaxing experience we have ever had at the beginning and at the end of our cruise.

Travel time from airport to Cocoa Beach hotel was around 30 minutes give or take a few minutes. And from Port Canaveral to airport was about 45 minutes but didn't seem like it took that long. If we ever sail from Port Canaveral again, MLB will definitely be my first choice of airports! JMO

We flew into MCO the day before as well and rented a car one-way for the drive to Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral. If I recall the car rental company shuttled us to the port from their office. We utilized the shuttle bus from the port to MCO when we got back. Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks in Advance

Orlando MCO.