Penthouse Suite on Marina

Tybeequeen2010

More room in general. Large walk-in closet, larger bathroom.

You have a butler in the PH -- do you want one? Lots of arguments here. When butlers were first brought onto Oceania we didn't use them at all. Now we do! We don't use them as much as others do -- we haven't scheduled cocktail parties in our suites, for example. But they are very useful in getting reservations in the specialty restaurants if you want them. If you want them to pack or unpack for you, they will -- we don't! OTOH, DH has occasionally had his shoes polished ...

Plus, the possibility of ordering dinner in from any of the restaurants (except for Terrace) is enticing to us on long touring days and also the last night before leaving the ship. I know that many here don't like the dining set-up on the "O" ships PH cabins with the table and two chairs at the bottom of the bed. It's rather awkward, I agree. (I actually find the dining set-up more comfortable in the PH cabins on the "R" ships, even though the cabins are smaller.)

We haven't been in the lower levels on Marina or Riviera although we have on Nautica. We couldn't even have breakfast in a veranda on Nautica, but the PH on Marina was do-able.

For US, we prefer the PH on any of the ships. But not everyone agrees. I await other opinions! It really depends on what YOU want. Many CruiseCritic fans don't think it's worth the extra $$ for concierge, let alone a PH or above. But WE do.

Mura

We never usually book anything as good as a penthouse suite on any line,but got a good deal in August last year.

The only downside is being spoilt so much,how can we travel any other way again? Having said that,looking around other cabins in August and listening to cruise critic,Oceania seems to be one company who have high standards all over with comfort very much in mind in all cabins.

For us ,there was a real luxury,feel good factor in our penthouse suite that made us feel completely relaxed on our holiday.We never once felt any type of anxiety in anything we did as we were well looked after.To us it was a 'complete' holiday in every expectation.

If I could afford it,I would do it again in an instant.

If you do your research,you will see that some people prefer the extended balconies on some verandah cabins,which are really lovely but on a hot trip,they would be too 'open' for us.But the cabins were perfect...

A personal choice but I believe whatever you choose,it will be fine.

Edited by janecambridge

We were offered an upsell for what we thought was a reasonable amount on a 17 day Marina cruise with lots of sea days. We jumped on the offer as it gave us the lovely walk in closet and more space for a longish cruise. We also were able to get a penthouse with an extended balcony on deck 7 which was fabulous on sea days. Then there is access to the Spa Terrace which we enjoy for the quiet views of the sea, again very nice when you have many sea days but not everyone's cup of tea.

One of my fondest memories about staying in an Insignia penthouse was being served dinner, course by course, in the privacy of our cabin while cruising the Chilean fjords. Pure heaven :)

A PH is always nice. It if you have the money it's a simple decision. For us, on a very personal note, we opt to pay for the PH on the R ships, because the standard cabins are just to small, particularly on cruises over 10 days. However, we find the space in the verandahs adequate on the O ships and don't opt to pay the upgrade to PH. We do stay in the Concierge cabins on the O ships because we like the higher up cabins. Do we miss the advantages of the PH on the O's, yes, but it's a cost/reward issue which we always need to weigh.

A PH is always nice. It if you have the money it's a simple decision. For us, on a very personal note, we opt to pay for the PH on the R ships, because the standard cabins are just to small, particularly on cruises over 10 days. However, we find the space in the verandahs adequate on the O ships and don't opt to pay the upgrade to PH. We do stay in the Concierge cabins on the O ships because we like the higher up cabins. Do we miss the advantages of the PH on the O's, yes, but it's a cost/reward issue which we always need to weigh.

Brilliantly stated, but for the uninitiated who read this:

Regatta-Penthouse-Suite1.jpg a Penthouse on the smaller Oceania ships brings a much larger cabin footprint and Butler service which elevates the "in Cabin Dinner Service" from glorified Room Service to an experience which is an equal to dining in the ships restaurants.

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

On Marina and Riviera the improved physical layout of the Penthouses makes them even nicer.

IMO, the PH suites on the Marina and Riviera are wonderful - worth every penny. However, the PH suites on the smaller ships....... not so much (note: for 100% honesty - we have toured the Nautica but have not sailed on a smaller ship (as it is not something that is of interest to us - despite the lovely décor).

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent information. You have helped us make a decision to take the PH on Marina. Mura, wonderful description and information. I am grateful. Jim and Stan, many thanks for the lovely pics. What a beautiful accommodation we have to look forward to. Happy New Year, everyone!

Edited by Tybeequeen2010

DH and I went through this argument again this afternoon on whether to upgrade to the PH. We decided not to. We are going to spend extra on a Beverage Package instead.:)

The cost to upgrade is $1200 for a 7 night cruise, plus the extra fees for the Butler, whom we do not need.

Although, I do like the size of the bedroom, and the lighted vanity would be a plus to me, the bathroom does not appear to be any larger.

We also prefer to eat in the dining rooms, so would not use the in-suite dinning.

Tybeequeen2010 Iamthesea - We lived on Tybee Island for a number of years.

Very pretty! We lived on Fripp Island, SC and then in Beaufort many years ago.

Iamthesea, I live in a lovely little Appalachian town in northeast Georgia. It is where my family began and where I was born. BUT, after all the snow we had this week, I miss my low country home more than ever. There's nothing quite like the coastal south. Thank you for all your good information. I hope you have a lovely cruise! TQ