Are there ever shrimp entrees in the buffet at night?

fedexretiree

Just wondering if the Breeze ever has shrimp entrees on the buffet at night. That happens to be my favorite food and when we cruise, I LOVE shrimp for dinner.

Now I know that I can get the shrimp cocktail in the MDR, but we enjoy the buffet because my husband is a super picky meat and taters kind of guy and if he can't pronounce it, he won't eat it. He also doesn't enjoy getting dressed up on vacation.

Also, do they keep both sides of the buffet open in the evening?

Before I get into this a little more, I have to say that we LOVED THE VIBE ON THE MAGIC AND HAD A WONDERFUL TIME but... the buffet was a bummer.

Last year when we cruised on the Royal Princess every night there was a wonderful different shrimp entrée every night on the buffet. The buffet on the Royal was probably one of the best that I have ever seen.

Last Jan. we were on the Magic out of Galveston and my husband and I were SO disappointed in the choices in the buffet. Not only were there no shrimp dishes available but at about 6:30-7:00 pm they closed half of the buffet up and the choices of food were minimal. Also, the lines were long and if you didn't snag a desert early in the evening the choices there were very limited as well. If you are wondering why I would choose the Breeze, its because we loved the vibe that the Carnival ship has and live 1 hour from the port, a major plus instead of flying. We thought that the Magic must have just been having a bad week and I am wanting to give Carnival another shot.

The buffet on Carnival is not the same food as in the MDR. Your husband does not have to "dress up " to eat there so on a night when they have shrimp on the menu I'd either go myself or convince him to try it.

You can read the MDR menu early in the day and then he can prepare what he wants to eat. Mine doesn't do fancy food either and if there's nothing he likes he can order plain grilled steak or chicken or salmon if he feels like it.

Just wondering if the Breeze ever has shrimp entrees on the buffet at night. That happens to be my favorite food and when we cruise, I LOVE shrimp for dinner.

Now I know that I can get the shrimp cocktail in the MDR, but we enjoy the buffet because my husband is a super picky meat and taters kind of guy and if he can't pronounce it, he won't eat it. He also doesn't enjoy getting dressed up on vacation.

Also, do they keep both sides of the buffet open in the evening?

Before I get into this a little more, I have to say that we LOVED THE VIBE ON THE MAGIC AND HAD A WONDERFUL TIME but... the buffet was a bummer.

Last year when we cruised on the Royal Princess every night there was a wonderful different shrimp entrée every night on the buffet. The buffet on the Royal was probably one of the best that I have ever seen.

Last Jan. we were on the Magic out of Galveston and my husband and I were SO disappointed in the choices in the buffet. Not only were there no shrimp dishes available but at about 6:30-7:00 pm they closed half of the buffet up and the choices of food were minimal. Also, the lines were long and if you didn't snag a desert early in the evening the choices there were very limited as well. If you are wondering why I would choose the Breeze, its because we loved the vibe that the Carnival ship has and live 1 hour from the port, a major plus instead of flying. We thought that the Magic must have just been having a bad week and I am wanting to give Carnival another shot.

Certain sea foods, such as shrimp, lobster and scallops don't do well on a buffet. Keeping them warm on a buffet under heat lamps can cause them to be overcooked, causing them to get chewy and lose their flavor. The exception would be something like a gumbo or paella, neither of which I've ever seen on a ship's buffet. I have, on occasion, seen other types of fish on the buffet, but it's usually cooked in with something else to help keep it moist.

Certain sea foods, such as shrimp, lobster and scallops don't do well on a buffet. Keeping them warm on a buffet under heat lamps can cause them to be overcooked, causing them to get chewy and lose their flavor. The exception would be something like a gumbo or paella, neither of which I've ever seen on a ship's buffet. I have, on occasion, seen other types of fish on the buffet, but it's usually cooked in with something else to help keep it moist.

Not all ship "buffets" are self-serve with only food that just sits there. If it's a ship with a served buffet (where staff serve items "cafeteria style"), they will often prepare steaks and shellfish (including lobster, prawns etc.) "a la minute". OP may want to look at cruise lines where food is a highlight of the experience and "buffets" do regularly serve well-prepared items (including gumbo, paella, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The buffet on Carnival is not the same food as in the MDR. Your husband does not have to "dress up " to eat there so on a night when they have shrimp on the menu I'd either go myself or convince him to try it.

You can read the MDR menu early in the day and then he can prepare what he wants to eat. Mine doesn't do fancy food either and if there's nothing he likes he can order plain grilled steak or chicken or salmon if he feels like it.

ABSOLUTELY! If you take your supper in the buffet, you're missing one of the best experiences of the cruise. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I will eat supper in the buffet. I wear dress shorts and a nice shirt into the MDR for all our evening meals.

Not all ship "buffets" are self-serve with only food that just sits there. If it's a ship with a served buffet (where staff serve items "cafeteria style"), they will often prepare steaks and shellfish (including lobster, prawns etc.) "a la minute". OP may want to look at cruise lines where food is a highlight of the experience and "buffets" do regularly serve well-prepared items (including gumbo, paella, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What you say is true, but the OP's question was specifically about the Carnival Breeze, which does not offer the type of service you mention.

Carnival does not offer shrimp at the buffet every night on any ship. On one of the cruise elegant nights, they usually serve Tempura Shrimp at the buffet. They usually have one seafood choice per night at the buffet, but it's usually something besides shrimp.

FYI-most of Carnival ships have the same basic menu for the buffets with minor variations available on the accompanying stations, such as the comfort food station, which is separate from the main buffet.

Carnival has decreased the variety of food on their buffets the past few years as part of their costing saving measures. One bright spot that remains on their buffets is their homemade soups. It is a common practice for them to only have one buffet line open in the evening. I wouldn't expect that to be any different on Breeze. I've seen that on all Carnival ships I've been on.

Edited by winddawn

My sister is a no fancy food and definitely a meat and potato type of girl. She eats with me in the MDR every night and orders either steak or chicken, plus baked potato and veggies.

Don't forget that he can order off the kids menu too, many adults do and they have hamburgers as a selection every night. My favorite is a banana split.

They do have sushi selections in the buffet at night. I think some have shrimp on them.

As far as eating in the buffet versus MDR, that's an individual decision. Faster to eat in the buffet. I've seen lots of families and larger groups dining there nearly every night. easier to get seating together or near each other and kids can run amok.:p

ABSOLUTELY! If you take your supper in the buffet, you're missing one of the best experiences of the cruise. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I will eat supper in the buffet. I wear dress shorts and a nice shirt into the MDR for all our evening meals.

I could not agree more. I would never eat in Golden Corral either. When we go out to eat we want to be served

What is the dress code for the MDR on the regular nights? Can you wear jean shorts and a polo shirt?

Yep. Usually the first night, on 7 day cruises anyway. Sweet and sour sauce available with it. Pretty good stuff. Get all of it you want.

Yes, all the ships that we've been on when we went to the buffet on the first night, there was always sweet and sour shrimp!