Carnival's Medallion Technology at CES

cbr663

Carnival's CEO Arnold Donald will be unveiling its new Medallion Technology at the upcoming Consumer Electronic Show (CES). A take on Disney's MagicBand and RCL's Wow Bands, the little medallion will transform the ship into a smart ship.

Passengers will be provided with the medallion prior to boarding. It can be used to unlock your cabin door, pay for merchandise and excursions, and interact with digital displays on the walls. Bluetooth enabled, the devices will be able to communicate with sensors all around the ship.

You can read more about it at this link provided by The Street: https://www.thestreet.com/story/13938804/1/carnival-cruise-line-s-big-splash-creating-the-ultimate-smart-ship.html.

While technology such as this can make your ship experience more enjoyable, it also has the potential to be tracking your every move both on and off the ship. It can also be used to send advertising your way and collect much more personal analytical information.

I am not a fan of this type of technology and would not sail on any ship that has it.

I am not a fan of this type of technology and would not sail on any ship that has it.

I think it's a great idea.

BTW, you are aware that many retailers do similar things with your smart phone?

Some even track your eye movements as you move through an aisle.

I am not for this type of technology.

I don't have a smart phone or an iPhone. Just a regular cell phone -- no picture taking or texting, etc.

Same here, I just bought a new flip phone, and I even found a model that doesn't come with camera. No internet access. If I want to take a picture, I use my camera. If I want to use the internet, I use my notebook.

I don't mind this medallion thingy for use as a door key or buying drinks at a bar, but I don't want some device following me around the ship. I might be tempted to jump in the pool with it.

If you've been to Disney World and stayed on property, you've already experienced this. Carnival's technology is done by the same people who made Disney's Magic Band system. It's pretty passive and not hard to use at all.

They're waterproof.

Edited by POA1

If you've been to Disney World and stayed on property, you've already experienced this. Carnival's technology is done by the same people who made Disney's Magic Band system. It's pretty passive and not hard to use at all.

They're waterproof.

You could wrap it in tinfoil.

I predict this thread will be bigger than the one on pre-made sandwiches.

Edited by RocketMan275

Sounds very interesting. I would like to try it out.

We moved on from pencils to calculators, room keys to pass cards, cabin ledgers to on line accounts/services so I guess we can adapt to this and take advantage of it's attributes.

For the record, I HATE the Disney system.

I totally get the theory. But the reality is the Disney system has made a Disney vacation much more complicated. It makes your vacation much more rigid with little room for last minute changes.

Disney Example: You can make your dining and ride reservations in advance. But you've got to set your clock and log in the moment the reservation window opens or you won't be riding the Snow White ride (unless you want to stand in a two hour standby line). The theory is great-- you can eliminate lines. But what happens when you wake up and it's raining outside and you decide to skip Disney World today and go tomorrow?? The answer is, you're out of luck because you won't be able to make dining or ride reservations because they were snapped up 30-days ago at the stroke of midnight. A Disney vacation is now super structured. That may be one of the reasons Universal Studios has seen a huge increase in attendance (plus Universal has been adding higher quality attractions). The Disney bands are also a revenue generator that help Disney identify ways to make more money off of you (photos, etc).

I am all for efficiency and making a vacation "easier," but I worry these former Disney guys are the ones who helped Disney remove some of the magic ;-)

And in all fairness, I do not begrudge the company looking for ways to increase revenue with technology. Businesses are in the "business" of making money. But PLEASE maintain a balance and don't destroy the vacation experience.

I was going to post this as well, but cbr663 beat me to it! :D

I also immediately thought of the installation at Disney World. It was being introduced when I was there a couple of years ago, but I didn't experience it myself.

Although I am generally one to support new technologies, I'm not so sure I would want HAL knowing where I am every moment.

For those acting like this is an invasion of privacy, how is this different than everyday life? You all likely are on the reciving end of at least some of the following:

* Credit/debit cards track the physical WHERE that you shop and your spending habits

* Those that think they're sneaky with having "dumb" phones... They can still tell who you contact (call and/or text) and where you travel based on what cell towers you "ping"

* Even the most secured home computers likely have some cookies tracking your browsing habits. If for no other reason to pop up some at least somewhat relevant ads.

* If you have something for auto insurance like the Progressive Snapshot they are able to tell where you drive, what times, how fast, how hard you brake, etc

* Grocery stores that have the "club cards" take your basic contact info and combine it with the specifics of your purchases on each shopping trip (they use this info to contact you if there has been a recall and some stores may have a program that sends you rewards based on spending habits

* IKEA can track your purchases and keeps receipts on file associated with YOU going back to 1988. They also have their "Family" club card thing that tracks what sorts of things you're buying.

* Costco/Sam's Club can let you return things even without a receipt. How? They log all of the individual items you purchase and can see you DID INDEED purchase it...

So seriously... what's the big deal?

sExactly.

I think the 'big deal' is that some people do not like change. Alas, change is constant.

Technology is wonderful. My aging uncle has a device at home that constantly checks his heart (from his implant) and sends the data to the hospital. This precludes him from venturing out in the cold, icy winter to go to the hospital for his montlhy check up. Also substantially reduces the cost of health care delivery. He also has a device around his neck or arm...if he falls he can immediately summon assistance. Both allow him to remain in his own home.

We embrace the good and less appealing (to us) aspects of technology because on balance it great enhances our life.

Edited by iancal

After this is rolled out, I wonder if they will also continue to issue key cards, or will this be the only method to enter your cabin, sign for purchases, etc?

Doubtful. It would be a redundant expense. However these "tokens" can be worn via a wristband/necklace type holder, added to a keychain or just carried in a pocket. So actually smaller and more convenient

I totally get the theory. But the reality is the Disney system has made a Disney vacation much more complicated. It makes your vacation much more rigid with little room for last minute changes.

Disney Example: You can make your dining and ride reservations in advance. But you've got to set your clock and log in the moment the reservation window opens or you won't be riding the Snow White ride (unless you want to stand in a two hour standby line). The theory is great-- you can eliminate lines. But what happens when you wake up and it's raining outside and you decide to skip Disney World today and go tomorrow?? The answer is, you're out of luck because you won't be able to make dining or ride reservations because they were snapped up 30-days ago at the stroke of midnight. A Disney vacation is now super structured. That may be one of the reasons Universal Studios has seen a huge increase in attendance (plus Universal has been adding higher quality attractions). The Disney bands are also a revenue generator that help Disney identify ways to make more money off of you (photos, etc).

I am all for efficiency and making a vacation "easier," but I worry these former Disney guys are the ones who helped Disney remove some of the magic ;-)

And in all fairness, I do not begrudge the company looking for ways to increase revenue with technology. Businesses are in the "business" of making money. But PLEASE maintain a balance and don't destroy the vacation experience.

I don't see this Disney system as anything really different from most cruise setups. You want a specific cabin? Get on it as soon as that cruise opens. Want a specific specialty restaurant reservation? Get on it as soon as that cruise opens. Want ship-sponsored excursions? Get on it as soon as that cruise opens. You get sick on the evening of your dinner? Sorry, you're most likely out of luck for another one. It rains on the day of your excursion? Sorry, either do it in the rain or sit in your cabin and sulk at the loss of money.

Honestly, I don't see anything here to get all worked up over. RFID key cards are proliferating at hotels - just wave and you are in. Some forward-thinking hotels even have apps where you use your smartphone to open your door (if you want) - you check-in on the app, get your virtual key, and check-out on the app, never visiting the Front Desk if you want. Ever wonder why you see certain ads on CC, TA or on your Facebook account? Data mining and culling your information from these sites.

Old phone has nothing to do with it. I kept my 2006 Motorola RAZR until this past June. The poor thing was just dying - the clock kept resetting to July 2004 - so I decided to get an iPhone. I still don't use it for anything but my InCaseofEmergency phone (I do not give out that number), but it is synced with my Macbook and iPad Mini for addresses, calendar, photos, etc. I'm not addicted to it, but it does come in handy.

We are leaving for WDW Friday morning. Got the 'magic bands' out last night. They 'live' with the passports and foreign currency. :)

When you think about it, since shipboard expenses are already tracked more completely than ordinary travel how is this some sort of quantum leap?

Dennis

[sNIP]

Honestly, I don't see anything here to get all worked up over. RFID key cards are proliferating at hotels - just wave and you are in. Some forward-thinking hotels even have apps where you use your smartphone to open your door (if you want) - you check-in on the app, get your virtual key, and check-out on the app, never visiting the Front Desk if you want. Ever wonder why you see certain ads on CC, TA or on your Facebook account? Data mining and culling your information from these sites. [sNIP]

Exactly, RFID technology is proliferating everywhere. Been on Koningsdam? Your key card was RFID-enabled and can be tracked everywhere on the ship.

Have an [insert toll system name here] pass on your car? They know your driving habits. Even old cell phones are tracked for location and that information is banked.

Welcome to the 21st century! The digital world! It's now harder than ever to avoid. Rest assured there is anonymity in numbers!

You could wrap it in tinfoil.

...or use any of the many RFID-blocking products or ideas discussed online. Google "how to block RFID" and you'll find all sorts of options, such as RFID-blocking wallets or sleeves. These are the same products that protect your RFID-enabled credit cards. Just pull the medallion out when you need to use it. No need to boycott the cruise line! :D

This is a horrible idea!

I have a flip phone that I keep turned off, and turn on only when I want to make a call. I have an RFID sleeve for my credit card, which I carry in an RFID wallet. I have an RFID sleeve for my passport. When I cruise, I carry my HAL key card in an RFID sleeve. I have not been to Disney World in years and will not ever again. I would support legislation making such tracking illegal.

The time that HAL issues me one of these insidious medallions is the day I quit cruising HAL -- not only is the technology hideous, the blatant disrespect of passengers this would represent is reprehensible.

I would be much more interested in this: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/04/anti-surveillance-clothing-facial-recognition-hyperface

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

It's how this technology can be potentially used that concerns me. I am also concerned about the security and privacy implications.

Donald has stated that the medallions will be linked with the payment system so no one has to swipe a card or sign a receipt. HAL is well known for having great difficulty with on board billing and the only saving grace sometimes is having receipts. It is because of these current problems that I would never trust a HAL billing system that does not provide me with hard proof of purchase.

Donald has said that passengers can opt out. I certainly would opt out.

This, this, and this again. Really, the concern shouldn't be about "privacy" or even the proliferation of RFID technology, but the fact that this technology - as evidenced by how Disney implemented it with the same guys coming to Carnival Corp - is as much about crowd control and the rationing of experiences and services. The system seduces you with such blandishments as being able to reserve things ahead of time; the reality is that spontaneity is almost totally eliminated, and vacation planning - a la how Disney is now - becomes a lite version of the Invasion of Normandy, complete with one-minute-after-midnight website login attempts to secure some elusive attraction slot.

Example: they might say "use it to reserve a deck chair; no worries about chair hogs." But sadly, it's raining when your reservation is. Try for later? Sorry, those slots are all gone. Like tonight's show? So much that you want to get there really early for a front seat? Sorry, the first 10 rows have been monetized and were already snapped up by the folks willing to put an extra $10 on their "Magic Sea Bands" for the privilege. THAT's the kind of thing Disney has been doing, and that's what this kind of system enables Carnival to do.

So let's not be seduced by happy-slappy images of people just waiving their wrists at their cabin door, or waiving their band at a server bringing drinks. There's a deep, dark underside that Disney is still exploring in its own implementation. A "vacation" which has to be planned in 1-hour segments six months in advance is no longer a vacation.

I would not worry too much.

HAL has a terrible reputation when it comes to IT systems. They can just barely run their web pages so I think implementing this will be a huge challenge. Their on board IT systems are about 10 years behind some of their competitors.

So, no need to worry.

Really, the concern shouldn't be about "privacy" or even the proliferation of RFID technology, but the fact that this technology - as evidenced by how Disney implemented it with the same guys coming to Carnival Corp - is as much about crowd control and the rationing of experiences and services. The system seduces you with such blandishments as being able to reserve things ahead of time; the reality is that spontaneity is almost totally eliminated, and vacation planning - a la how Disney is now.

So let's not be seduced by happy-slappy images of people just waiving their wrists at their cabin door, or waiving their band at a server bringing drinks. There's a deep, dark underside that Disney is still exploring in its own implementation. A "vacation" which has to be planned in 1-hour segments six months in advance is no longer a vacation.

That's exactly what I'm worried about and what others should be as well. Disney is no longer "fun."