Are ALL luggages scanned on board??!!

garda

Good Evening!

Thoughts and prayers to all in Fort Lauderdale Airport today.

I did not realize that one was allowed to bring firearms in checked luggage with proper documentation! Never given this a second thought but now this has freaked me out!

Does Celebrity scan All luggages and check for this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think any passenger can know for sure, and I would be very doubtful that Celebrity would answer if you asked them.

Anecdotal evidence is that the luggage is spot checked, but not every piece of checked luggage is scanned. This is based on the occasional reports here on Cruise Critic that someone's bottle of liquor or iron was not spotted. But we also know that many, many passengers have had their suitcases sent to the so-called "naughty room" because some forbidden item was detected. The passenger has to one the suitcase and remove the item in question, which can be retrieved when disembarking.

Good Evening!

Thoughts and prayers to all in Fort Lauderdale Airport today.

I did not realize that one was allowed to bring firearms in checked luggage with proper documentation! Never given this a second thought but now this has freaked me out!

Does Celebrity scan All luggages and check for this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes they are scanned.

I really wouldn't worry that much about this fact. If you've ever visited the US you would be shocked if you knew the number of people concealed carrying. You will never know with the vast majority of gun carriers. Not a gun debate, but... if someone has violent mental illness or bad intentions, they will find a way to hurt people; someone who just wants to go about their life and keep themselves and their family safe won't. The presence of guns by themselves isn't alarming.

Every time you walk into a public place someone has assessed the threat and security level, it's all around you in this day and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

My question is about boarding a cruise, not the airport.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, all bags are scanned. Also your hand carry on bags are scanned. And at every port bags are scanned when you return from shore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Each airline has it's own rules on how guns and other weapons (bows and arrows, etc.) may be checked, but the general minimum Federal guidelines in the US are that a gun has to be unloaded, in a hard sided case, and securely locked, and declared to the airline when checking in. Ammunition must be packed in a separate case, but I'm not sure if the ammo has to be in a hard sided locking case or not.

The TSA Blog lists the guns and other weapons it discovers in carry on bags each week; here's the link to last week. Here's the short version:

TSA discovered 53 firearms last week in carry-on bags around the nation. Of the 53 firearms discovered, 42 were loaded and 15 had a round chambered. All of the firearms pictured were discovered last week. See a complete list below.

Most of the time the people have a carry permit and honestly forget about the little 9mm in their purse. The police, not TSA, handles any other legal issue, but TSA can fine you for trying to carry past the checkpoint.

Edited by fshagan

How do you think hunters go hunting in far off places? What about people who are in shooting competitions? They have to get their firearms there too. There's a procedure and a responsible gun owner (the vast majority of them) will follow that before entering the airport. What isn't protected very well and probably should be protected better, is the airport baggage area.

On a cruise, your baggage is scanned. About 10 years ago, when you were allowed to bring alcohol on ships in your checked baggage, my husband's vodka (in a small travel flask) was tested. We've also had water bottles tested too. Sometimes there's a note on them explaining what they did and other times, there's just one water bottle that has been pried from the flat of water that has about 1/4 cup missing. So, yes, they DO scan luggage and check other items too. ;)

Each airline has it's own rules on how guns and other weapons (bows and arrows, etc.) may be checked, but the general minimum Federal guidelines in the US are that a gun has to be unloaded, in a hard sided case, and securely locked, and declared to the airline when checking in. Ammunition must be packed in a separate case, but I'm not sure if the ammo has to be in a hard sided locking case or not.

The TSA Blog lists the guns and other weapons it discovers in carry on bags each week; here's the link to last week. Here's the short version:

Most of the time the people have a carry permit and honestly forget about the little 9mm in their purse. The police, not TSA, handles any other legal issue, but TSA can fine you for trying to carry past the checkpoint.

If you "forget" you have a handgun in your purse you are definition of an irresponsible gun owner.

If you "forget" you have a handgun in your purse you are definition of an irresponsible gun owner.

Not sure how you 'forget' you have a gun on you !!!!

I agree, not sure you should be allowed a weapon if that is the case!

Not sure how you 'forget' you have a gun on you !!!!

I agree, not sure you should be allowed a weapon if that is the case!

Totally agree and not buying into that excuse of I forgot. Would that person supposedly have forgotten they had a cancelled weapon in the event they had to protect themselves with their gun?

Edited by davekathy