Hawaii to Sydney Reposition Cruise

We are keen to book a reposition cruise from Hawaii to Sydney next Sept/Oct and would like to seek opinions/experiences of people who have previously done this cruise.

I have found that Celebrity, Royal Carribean and Carnival have these repositioning cruises in spring with Celebrity and Royal Carribean going via New Zealand and Carnival via Fiji.

What would be the preferred option and would appreciate directions to any blogs of the cruises please.

We are keen to book a reposition cruise from Hawaii to Sydney next Sept/Oct and would like to seek opinions/experiences of people who have previously done this cruise.

I have found that Celebrity, Royal Carribean and Carnival have these repositioning cruises in spring with Celebrity and Royal Carribean going via New Zealand and Carnival via Fiji.

What would be the preferred option and would appreciate directions to any blogs of the cruises please.

Do you have a preferred line?

That may make it simpler for you.

Do you have a preferred line?

That may make it simpler for you.

At this stage we would probably prefer to travel on Celebrity because we have been on both Carnival Spirit and Legend. But am interested any option because the itinerary is the primary interest and people's experiences on thus forum will help us decide.

At this stage we would probably prefer to travel on Celebrity because we have been on both Carnival Spirit and Legend. But am interested any option because the itinerary is the primary interest and people's experiences on thus forum will help us decide.

We went from Honolulu to Sydney via Samoa and Fiji on Rhapsody in 2014. No complaints, it was a wonderful trip.

We chose not to come via NZ, because it was September and we wanted to avoid the cold weather.

However, if I were to do it again I would came back via Tahiti/NZ, purely because I have never been to Tahiti (and take some jumpers).:)

Of the lines you have listed for us it would be Celebrity, but expect a tamer experience with an older average age than Carnival.

I did this on Solstice. Love the itinerary which is what it was chosen for. However, Solstice is very sedate, and the entertainment was lacking with shows repeated, ostensibly due to 'no-shows'. Their activities crew is only 1.5 people now. So if you're just choosing between ships it comes down to what you're looking for from the ship.

Have you considered Norwegian Jewel? We choose this as it is via Tahiti, Samoa, Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caladonia. More ports with fewer multiple sea days.

Tahiti with the addition of Samoa is a nice itinerary. The entertainment on NCL is top notch as well.:D

Have done both routes several times, and about to forego another RCL Explorer repo in preference for NCL. NCL Jewel does best of both routes taking in Tahiti, Samoa's and Fiji.. (not NZ) If You have the inclination, Jewel starts in Seattle, does inside psg Alaska and finishes in Sydney after 4 BACK TO BACK cruises.

First leg Alaska sails Sept 23rd. 2nd leg Oct 3rd, 3rd leg from Honolulu Oct 13th. 4th leg from Papeete on Oct 25th.

Sue and Phil

Have done both routes several times, and about to forego another RCL Explorer repo in preference for NCL. NCL Jewel does best of both routes taking in Tahiti, Samoa's and Fiji.. (not NZ) If You have the inclination, Jewel starts in Seattle, does inside psg Alaska and finishes in Sydney after 4 BACK TO BACK cruises.

First leg Alaska sails Sept 23rd. 2nd leg Oct 3rd, 3rd leg from Honolulu Oct 13th. 4th leg from Papeete on Oct 25th.

Sue and Phil

That sounds great to do all that, must make it around 45-50 nights.:D

In regards to Tahiti, make sure it is taking in Bora Bora and Moorea as Pape'ete is nothing special IMO.:D

If you do end up on a transpacific cruise that only calls at Papeete, dont panic. Take the ferry over to Moorea for the day. It leaves from the next wharf along from where you dock.:)

We went from Honolulu to Sydney via Samoa and Fiji on Rhapsody in 2014. No complaints, it was a wonderful trip

Ahhh, we have fond memories of that trip. That was the final leg of our B2B2B all the way from Seattle. Sadly no more Rhapsody downunder.

When we do that cruise next time, our wish is to go via Tahiti, just because we haven't been there before, and we have been to New Caledonia & Vanuatu several times.

Bora Bora is spectacular and is the highlight of this itinerary. If you are considering a transpacific, make sure it goes via Bora Bora!

I agree. Have done this itinerary 3 times and I think it is Bora Bora that keeps me wanting to do it again. Have had a fantastic time on each visit. Maybe I should think of having a land holiday there - if only my lotto number would come up :D

If you do end up on a transpacific cruise that only calls at Papeete, dont panic. Take the ferry over to Moorea for the day. It leaves from the next wharf along from where you dock.:)

Thanks David, Yes I saw that, from the times I saw, the timing is a bit tighter than I would wish though.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

So far, we have done the Trans Pacific on the Dawn Princess, three times on Radiance, Legend of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas and Regent Seven Seas Mariner and will do it again on the Radiance in April. The Crossing on the Explorer was our least favourite - crappy Ports.

All ships were good, just make sure the Itinerary is what you are looking for. Also remember, the Trans Pacific cruises book out fast.

Enjoy - it's our favourite cruise.

Cheers

Di