Leaving kids on the ship while at port-questions for new RCCL cruiser

I haven't waded through all the posts, but to the OP: I hope you enjoy your excursion and your 5 year old enjoys AO. I remember being on a Mediterranean cruise with small children on an excursion and the kids were tired and cranky. They had no interest in cathedrals or historic sites. Those kids would have been better off on the ship. The parents did not enjoy the excursion and kept asking the tour guide when it was going to end. Everyone was glad to see that excursion end because of those kids.

A parent knows what is best for their child and what others think is irrelevant.

Enjoy your cruise, op!

We did the Fort's tour in San Juan with our 2 and 4 year old. They had a wonderful time. They didn't cry, complain, or cause any issues at all for any other guests - they had such a great time. I think it would be sad for the boys to miss these experiences, personally - and leaving my kids on a ship while I'm in another country just doesn't sit well with me, but it does for others. I would say that many of you have made some pretty decent arguments for why it's ok, though.

I'm not sure a nice way to write it, but I'll try - I can't relate to having a 5 year old that simply runs off if they see a bunny.

A lot of child sexual abuse is perpetrated by friends or family; reading over this thread, I get the impression some people think daycares & similar are quite dangerous, yet people they 'know' (e.g.: family, friends and teachers) are fine. There are a lot of people traumatized by past abuse from caretakers who were supposedly 'okay.'

Professionally trained ship caretakers for the kids also sound better educated & more capable, plus there are more unhand so if something awful happens it's more likely someone knows what to do & has the personality style to step up and deal with it, as opposed to family, friends and babysitters back home.

My point is, some of the assumptions about relative risk with various practices in this thread have some holes in them.

Richard.

We did the Fort's tour in San Juan with our 2 and 4 year old. They had a wonderful time. They didn't cry, complain, or cause any issues at all for any other guests - they had such a great time. I think it would be sad for the boys to miss these experiences, personally - and leaving my kids on a ship while I'm in another country just doesn't sit well with me, but it does for others. I would say that many of you have made some pretty decent arguments for why it's ok, though.

I'm not sure a nice way to write it, but I'll try - I can't relate to having a 5 year old that simply runs off if they see a bunny.

I think that is the whole crux of these disagreements or differences in opinions. Not just on this thread but on others. Different people have different personalities and comfort on things. These include the kids. My DD wasn't the type to go running off either. I didn't fear her taking off and getting lost for the most part. Other kids can be, they're adventurous and want to explore. Some parents are comfortable with having others watch their children, others aren't. So we look at situations in different ways, and of course get differing opinions on what is best or appropriate for that situation.

Enjoy your cruise OP. I have not sailed on RCCL, but Disney and Carnival and like you, I have left my daughter on the ship 2x while I went on cruise line excursions and she is doing just fine. We went on a cruise for our 10 year anniversary and my 40th birthday and really wanted to do an ATV excursion, but of course, DD could not go. I guess we could have left her at home and not let her go on the cruise, but it seems extreme. I also could have waited until she was 18, but by then maybe I wouldn't have had the nerve to go. In the end, we went on the excursion. it was a ship excursion. There was a big protest, shut down the street and it took us extra time to get back to port. But we still were back on board by lunch- 4 hours before sail away.

Obviously things can happen, they happen in Missouri too. A few weeks ago, there was this terrible ice storm and the Dept of Transportation was ill prepared. Highways shut down and the like. Fortunately that was in St. Louis, not our area. There were people that it took 4-6 hours to make the evening commute. Kids had to go home with teachers or some of them slept at school. I doubt any parent dropped their kid off at school thinking that would happen, but it did. And a new plan was made, kids were taken care of, and life went on. Stuff happens, you just have to make plans, back up plans and back up back up plans. And have faith.

I didn't have a runner until #5 was born. Turns out he lacked a bit of impulse control (which we worked on, much better at 14 than 4). His twin sister was my slow wanderer, even now I'll get a text from dd15 from Target that she can't find her sister agsin. All kids are different.

I think you need to reread what you wrote. You said no one researches ship child care, which is an outright lie. Then you say you are against anyone watching other people's kids. Considering you said you are a teacher, I'm not sure how you reconcile that opinion with your profession.

I am not the one you speak off. I am perfectly fine with the ships childcare. I am a business owner not a teacher.

I double quoted the person you speak of and pointed out that they don't like childcare. Please revisit my post 96 and reread it.

Edited by A&L_Ont

To be fair here, the OP also said, multiple times that RCCL excursion means the ship "cannot leave without me", etc. It seemed her decision to leave the child onboard had to do with this wrong information. When corrected, she then looked to validate her reasons another way. I think it's fair for commenters to correct her incorrect information. When she made it clear she wasn't interested in having correct information, but just looking for validation, I let it be :)

I've read this whole thread. If the following was proven wrong, I missed it.

The ship will not leave without them.

We have been on a cruise that left port with passengers still on shore, and had to turn back around because one woman had minor children aboard (the mother was NOT on an RCCL excursion). If the OP is on a ship excursion and her 5 year old child is in AO, the ship will not leave.

Based on the logic discussed in this thread I feel like I am a bad parent for bringing my kids on a cruise. After all there is no guarantee that the ship will not sink and we all die.

Edited by njm5378

I didn't have a runner until #5 was born. Turns out he lacked a bit of impulse control (which we worked on, much better at 14 than 4). His twin sister was my slow wanderer, even now I'll get a text from dd15 from Target that she can't find her sister agsin. All kids are different.

Not so much a runner, but I was definitely a wanderer as a small child. After I disappeared in a large amusement park, I had to wear a leather harness and leash. This was in the late 40's and I did not end up warped. A few cruises ago there was a family a few cabins away with a toddler. The minute the door would open he would take off down the hall with dad in hot pursuit. Then out would come an adorable stuffed animal backpack with leash. Sometimes a parent just has to deal.

I have to wonder why you start a thread then ignore what just about every reply mentions. While the chances are low, the ship most certainly can leave without you, even if you are on a ship excursion.

OPs question was simply if AO was open, and he/she even proactively mentioned that they were not looking for opinions if leaving the kids on the ship was a good idea.

There's a low chance of something bad happening with every action we take (and don't take).

So I have to wonder why you felt compelled to offer your opinion and question OPs motives.

Please re-read my post. Nowhere did I question the OP's motives for starting the thread, but I did question why she chose to state "We always do ship excursions so the ship can't take off without us", ignoring so many posts to the contrary.

As I also said in my post, I think that the chances of the ship leaving without her are low, but it appears that the OP is blithely denying that there is any risk at all, and that causes some concern. Risk assessment and risk management are part of our daily lives. Risk denial shouldn't be.

Not so much a runner, but I was definitely a wanderer as a small child. After I disappeared in a large amusement park, I had to wear a leather harness and leash. This was in the late 40's and I did not end up warped. A few cruises ago there was a family a few cabins away with a toddler. The minute the door would open he would take off down the hall with dad in hot pursuit. Then out would come an adorable stuffed animal backpack with leash. Sometimes a parent just has to deal.

Lol I had leashes for my twins when they were toddlers, it was the only way I could take them out without a stroller, and were great when we were in crowds. I stopped using them when I lost one of the harnesses, around age 3, because they caught over who got to wear it (I needed it more for the runner than the wanderer).

I've read this whole thread. If the following was proven wrong, I missed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Host Jacquelyn View Post

We have been on a cruise that left port with passengers still on shore, and had to turn back around because one woman had minor children aboard (the mother was NOT on an RCCL excursion). If the OP is on a ship excursion and her 5 year old child is in AO, the ship will not leave.

Conversely, I've seen no proof that it is any more factual than all of the posts stating the opposite.

BTW, you do realize that RCI and all of the other major lines recognize the possibility, and all use wording similar to the following:

In the extremely unlikely event you were to miss the Royal Caribbean International (RCL) due to one of these tours, the tour consolidator guarantees that they will pay the full cost of your meals, hotel, and transportation to the next port of call, and that they will handle all of your arrangements for you.

Unlikely, yes, but still possible.

I have read most of the responses on this thread and it's clear to me the OP was seeking validation on her already made decision to leave her 5 yr old on the ship. That was evident by the kind things she had to say to those in agreement with her and the snarky comments to the others.

One of the reasons given for not taking her son is that he will not enjoy the excursion, even at 5 there are things we have to do that we don't want to do. As an educator, I am tried of seeing students who aren't made to feel uncomfortable or do things they don't want to do.

Another reason she gave is because he is the type that runs off. I mean this with all due respect, if YOU can't control your 5 yr old on the excursion, what makes you think the staff will be able to safely control him. Perhaps you should stay home, stateside and on land, until you have better control.

I will never understand how people think and do things because they are on a ship and/or vacation but would never do at home.

This entire thread reminds me of the one from the young man who was propositioned in the spa showers....let that sink in.

I specifically wrote in my original post, please do not comment if you cannot tell me about the clubs and only posting negative comments about my parenting. So if a person cannot leave me well enough alone and move on to another thread, let the snark fly. I had no questions on IF I should leave him, it was how do the clubs work on this cruise line.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

She asked for how it worked onboard. Not to be judged for doing it.

As a teacher - you of all people should realize that going on a vacation with family is a wonderful thing and far better of a memory than being left home alone with a sitter. This doesn't mean that you can't use a sitter for a period of time while on vacation. The OP doesn't plan to leave her child everyday - just some.

As for leaving her child with virtual strangers - I'm guessing that you never had children in a daycare center. On any given day - a new teachers could be responsible for caring for your child - even being the one you leave them with in the morning. Daycare parents learn to trust in the system. And it's a good thing - as once you enter elementary school - you know even less about the teachers that are with them for a full day.

I interacted more in a week on Navigator with all 9 kids club staff members than I have with any of my sons last 4 years of elementary school teachers (who I actually TRY to get to know but can't!)

I don't know why everyone feels the need to judge - clearly by now everyone in America who lived thru the election cycle should be well aware that we don't all think alike and that there are some stark regional divides. Is it really that hard to think that we might also have other things besides our political views that are different? No need to damn those who think differently than you....you probably wouldn't want them doing that to you....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really appreciate your words. Thank you for your response. :-)

To answer the OP's other question, AO is open all day (while in port) on port days, and they bring the children to lunch.

Oh yes they might do this, very rare I am sure but once 2,000 passengers were left behind shoreside in Villafranche as they could not be tendered back to the ship as it was too dangerous high winds and bad seas they had to bus them to Marseilles.

Had the OP simply asked the question "[D]o the [kids'] clubs stay open while at port?", the thread would have petered out in less than a page. Unfortunately, giving a good deal more information than was necessary and saying that people who disagreed with her approach shouldn't bother posting simply served to get the very reaction she was trying to avoid. A fatal error on any board is to say that those who disagree with one's position need not reply.

True....in hindsight, I should have just asked that question directly.

I haven't waded through all the posts, but to the OP: I hope you enjoy your excursion and your 5 year old enjoys AO. I remember being on a Mediterranean cruise with small children on an excursion and the kids were tired and cranky. They had no interest in cathedrals or historic sites. Those kids would have been better off on the ship. The parents did not enjoy the excursion and kept asking the tour guide when it was going to end. Everyone was glad to see that excursion end because of those kids.

A parent knows what is best for their child and what others think is irrelevant.

Enjoy your cruise, op!

Thank you! We will enjoy! Quite excited about it....

I didn't see the OP put out any red flag or throw down any gauntlet. She made it evident she was already aware some people disagreed with the practice, and didn't wish to debate it in this thread she started to glean info. about a matter of interest to her, not to serve as a soap box for opportunists.

If she hadn't said something to that effect, critics might think she hadn't thought of those concerns and feel emboldened to preach against what she intended to do (which obviously quite a number did anyway). By letting them know she was already aware, they were basically invited to live & let live.

Better luck next time, OP.

Richard.

Thanks...I was hoping to avoid this by your very same thoughts. I guess my warning made it worse.

I would like to thank everyone who answered my question regarding the club. I now know it stays open. Thank you to those pointing out the details of what happens if the excursion does not make it in time. To those questioning my parenting skills, I would say before you judge others, take a look at yourself. If you feel you are the perfect parent, that's great. Otherwise, please be nice to others. We all parent differently and no one way is correct.

I would like to thank everyone who answered my question regarding the club. I now know it stays open. Thank you to those pointing out the details of what happens if the excursion does not make it in time. To those questioning my parenting skills, I would say before you judge others, take a look at yourself. If you feel you are the perfect parent, that's great. Otherwise, please be nice to others. We all parent differently and no one way is correct.

Kudos. All else aside, you maintained your composure and civility throughout.

Thanks...I was hoping to avoid this by your very same thoughts. I guess my warning made it worse.

Some of these responses are just people arguing for the sake of arguing.

Conversely, I've seen no proof that it is any more factual than all of the posts stating the opposite.

BTW, you do realize that RCI and all of the other major lines recognize the possibility, and all use wording similar to the following:

Unlikely, yes, but still possible.

So you're basically just hung up on the semantics. If she had just said "...I'm ok with it because the possibility of the ship leaving me is so low that I'm comfortable with the risk" would you have stopped beating this horse?

Please read above in red. It reads as though you aren't a fan of child care/day care.

As you said in the second post I quoted everyone has a right to their opinion. This discussion is like a revolving door. You are not a fan of RC child care and others are. There is no end to this type of discussion.

I stand corrected and apologize to you. That's not what I meant to type. What I meant was I wouldn't let JUST anyone watch my 5 yr old. Daycare is necessary, I used it for my daughter and she's using it for my grandson. Again, as I have said before,IMHO the cons far out weigh the pros in leaving your 5 yr old on a ship while you go on an excursion in a foreign country.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app