Is it reasonable to have to vacate cabins at 7am on disembarkation?

AnOnymously

Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?  

858 members have voted

1. 1. Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?

They will have to drag me out at 7am!

Even if we get up at 6am. We each shower, dress, have breakfast, and return to brush our teeth and finish up. All in one hour? No way! Not to say, who wants to get up at 6am?

We have a long travel day ahead of us. Travel is long, stressful and tiring as it is.

We would need a vacation from our vacation!

But I have a feeling, this 7am is a suggestion, as a poster said. They hope some will leave then. And some (as we have read here) will be very happy to leave at 7am, so that will help them out.

Do you really expect an electrician to be changing linens, or perhaps the Staff Captain scrubbing toilets?

Not just the Staff Captain, but the Captain himself. Lisa as well. Perhaps I come from a different breed, but to me, the buck stops at the top. If I'm at the top, that means I'm responsible for everything. Scrubbing a toilet is not below me, if that's what it means to make sure my product is up to snuff.

Onboard now and no problem

Talk to your attendant

This is all fine and good until the stewards are told to stop making exceptions. If it's a "suggestion" as is being alleged, then they need to tell people that on the literature. Otherwise, those of us who try to be reasonable and respect our host's requests will feel compelled to be out of the room by 7. Or, like some are already doing, just book with a different company altogether rather than deal with what 8 out of 10 people currently agree is an unreasonable kick-out time.

"To accommodate our turnaround, we would prefer that you vacate your cabin by 7am. If you need extra time beyond that, please consult with your steward to see what accommodations are possible." See? Simple.

We are used to (on disembarkation day) waking up at 6, going to the dining room at 7, and after brushing teeth after breakfast, doing the final leaving of the cabin at 8.

I can't imagine having to get up at 5 in order to be completely out of the cabin by 7.

This is all fine and good until the stewards are told to stop making exceptions. If it's a "suggestion" as is being alleged, then they need to tell people that on the literature. Otherwise, those of us who try to be reasonable and respect our host's requests will feel compelled to be out of the room by 7. Or, like some are already doing, just book with a different company altogether rather than deal with what 8 out of 10 people currently agree is an unreasonable kick-out time.

"To accommodate our turnaround, we would prefer that you vacate your cabin by 7am. If you need extra time beyond that, please consult with your steward to see what accommodations are possible." See? Simple.

But everyone would want to stay and they will say that if you pay enough EXTRA you can stay until 8.30 we are told.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs appear before Celebrity's eyes.

Customers can go hang.

Well, it's about 7am on a Saturday here near Toronto and I have been up for at least an hour after sleeping in because it is the weekend. I hope all of you late risers write lots of letters and emails to Celebrity and get them to rescind this 7am out of your cabin thing. I would hate to be lining up for disembarkation with all you grumpy folks!:p

No greener grass on HAL unless they've added a lawn. Have great cruise experiences on whatever cruiseline you choose.
Very true. I read five or six different cruise line forums on Cruise Critic to help me make my decisions and they're all the same in this regard. The specifics of each concern and each strength are different, but the overall impression is pretty much the same.

This brings up another interesting element, as a staff member - on longer itineraries, you have less turn around days. So, on 7-day cruises, you have the stress day every 7 days, on 14-day... well, you get the point. So, do the more senior staff get the longer itineraries?

I've been told by crew members we've become friendly with that they actually prefer the shorter itineraries.

They get sick of us and our individual eccentricities and prefer to keep changing.

Makes no sense to me as I also would have thought the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been told by crew members we've become friendly with that they actually prefer the shorter itineraries.

They get sick of us and our individual eccentricities and prefer to keep changing.

Makes perfect sense to me. Some folks on board are truly obnoxious and entitled. I'd want them to be on their way as well.

Makes perfect sense to me. Some folks on board are truly obnoxious and entitled. I'd want them to be on their way as well.

Surely only if they are the majority:D. Perhaps you are saying they are:rolleyes: I worked many years ago with holiday guests and was glad to get rid of some, but not others. I was a young fellow at the time and I remember watching to what the young ladies were like at changeover, then the challenge began;)

No greener grass on HAL unless they've added a lawn. Have great cruise experiences on whatever cruiseline you choose.

LOL.. The lawn is one of those corporate decisions I always questioned. On one of the first cruises out of Cape Liberty on the Silhouette the lawn, due to the fact it was WINTER, was covered in plastic and looked 3/4 dead until we reached warmer climes in the Caribbean only to once again be shocked half to death by the return to the Great Northeast.

Having a third of an acre of lawn at home which I must tend to, my vacation never centers around grass, but instead bright soft sandy beaches instead of the snow and ice we usually have at home when we cruise.

We found the HAL experience to be very close to X, and when Celebrity moved away from Michel Roux and a few other cuts came in we would rate them about equal.

We shall see when the time comes, but for the present I hope everyone has a great cruise on every line they choose.

I hope some day the "Lisas" sitting around those big tables on top of mount Olympus listen to the people who come back each year or more and put the coins in the corporate coffers and realize that ALMOST EVERY COMPLAINT DEALS WITH NOT ENOUGH PROPERLY TRAINED STAFF.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Surely only if they are the majority:D. Perhaps you are saying they are:rolleyes: I worked many years ago with holiday guests and was glad to get rid of some, but not others. I was a young fellow at the time and I remember watching to what the young ladies were like at changeover, then the challenge began;)

If this thread is any indication [emoji13][emoji13]

Wonder what it must be like for the staff on those 125 day cruises HAL offers.

Wonder what it must be like for the staff on those 125 day cruises HAL offers.

I guess if a certain percentage of your guests are crabs or stinkers, it would make no difference how many times they change. Would it be better or worse to have 1 crab for 120 straight days or 1 crab on each of 12 ten day cruises? LOL

bosco

I guess if a certain percentage of your guests are crabs or stinkers, it would make no difference how many times they change. Would it be better or worse to have 1 crab for 120 straight days or 1 crab on each of 12 ten day cruises? LOL

bosco

But each crab is different and with time you can find their nuances and act accordingly, so staying with the same lot would appeal. Though it might be that hope springs eternal and they keep thinking "it must get better".

Meanwhile we can annoy the bad customers by banging doors and talking at 6am to make sure they are awake on leave day, because my sojourn with these miserable complaining wretches is OVER.

You don't think that the ship is targeting those do you?

[quote name=

JGUT2407]Never been asked to be out by 7:00 normally 8:00 or 8:30.

Just returned from Silhouette on Sunday nine day cruise. Leaving room at 7:00 am is ridiculous. Was not aware until night before after midnight, we should have been told earlier so we would have prepared. Have been on many celebrity cruises and never had this before. We were also not prepared for the 47 degrees outside at the port n Fortlauderdal. In a group of 10 people, all who are ill now, had to stand outside for about thirty minutes in inappropriate clothing with a wind chill, before we could get our luggage. Great cruise ,but horrible ending.

Meanwhile we can annoy the bad customers by banging doors and talking at 6am to make sure they are awake on leave day, because my sojourn with these miserable complaining wretches is OVER.

He who laughs last laughs best... I love it.

bosco

Just returned from Silhouette on Sunday nine day cruise. Leaving room at 7:00 am is ridiculous. Was not aware until night before after midnight, we should have been told earlier so we would have prepared. Have been on many celebrity cruises and never had this before. We were also not prepared for the 47 degrees outside at the port n Fortlauderdal. In a group of 10 people, all who are ill now, had to stand outside for about thirty minutes in inappropriate clothing with a wind chill, before we could get our luggage. Great cruise ,but horrible ending.

Nasty tastes don't go away quickly. I hope you are going to complain.

This 7am business is getting out of hand. It is absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible.

I accept it is too late for some bookings.

Some cruisers may elect to change their holiday plans.

I recently completed a cruise which had an overnight at the final port. I disembarked in the evening to catch a midflight home rather than hang about the following day.

Annie

You are discussing something I needed to know. We spend the night in Singapore but choice air won't book us a flight until after noon on the final day of the cruise. I like to use them because of the guarantee to get to ship. Did you book independent of Choice Air?

I'm not going to read all the posts but, since we did return on a 9 night Silouette cruise on January 8th, I can post realty.

The night before disembarkation bulletin "did state" rooms had to be vacated by 7:00 am. My first thought was this policy change was most likely the result of eliminating the room steward assistant position, thus requiring the room stewards more time to get the rooms ready. BTW, room stewards are also now responsible to deliver luggage on embarkation and haul it all away the night before disembarkation.

Since we were on deck 10 and realizing the buffet on deck 14 would be a nightmare, we decided (since we're not usually big breakfast eaters) to go to Qsine on deck 5 to simplify debarkation knowing that, in the past there has usually been juice, coffee and pastries to tide us over until lunch. It is very evident (after 25 Celebrity cruises) there are cutbacks in almost every area. The Elite Plus offerings were coffee, tea and a chocolate danish. Is this a major issue...NO...but I can only assume this is the result of yet another "Corporate" cutback to minimize costs. I won't even get started on the "quality" of meats now offered in the MDR.

This is the first time in 8 years, we do not have two more Celebrity cruises booked for this coming year. Little by little, they have managed to chip away the little things that made them a "cut above" many other lines. Complimentary drink packages don't drive our decision to book a cruise...consistent quality does!!!!