Can you simulate traditional dining?

Hi fellow cruisers,

My family and I (9 of us) are really interested in a 2018 med itinerary on the Spirit. We haven't been on NCL before, but our favourite part of other trips has been the traditional dining- we all meet up at the end of our day to eat together, and have really enjoyed getting to know our servers. I know about NCLs "freestyle" dining- I'm wondering if you can kinda simulate traditional dining, arranging the same table and servers each night?

Any insight appreciated!:)

You might be able to 'follow' your server but they do rotate into other dining venues as well as in the for fee restaurants.

You can sort of simulate it by showing up at the same time every evening but you might not get the same table. Wouldn't it be fun to rotate through the MDR's just to get a feel for the vibe in each room?

Since its a Med cruise, usually its long hot days in port and so a little change of dining times might be a benefit. You can rest up, clean up and not be rushed.

Have a wonderful time.

Hi fellow cruisers,

My family and I (9 of us) are really interested in a 2018 med itinerary on the Spirit. We haven't been on NCL before, but our favourite part of other trips has been the traditional dining- we all meet up at the end of our day to eat together, and have really enjoyed getting to know our servers. I know about NCLs "freestyle" dining- I'm wondering if you can kinda simulate traditional dining, arranging the same table and servers each night?

Any insight appreciated!:)

Not really. You can go to the same dining room

At the same time every night if you like, but some nights there may be waits, some not. But if you request the same table and/or servers think you will definately struggle with the wait, and as others said, the same dining staff may not be available. If you go one a ship that has both traditional and anytime dining, and you are stuck with anytime you can someone simulate it the way you are suggesting. But since NCL is 100% anytime dining, the setup is different.

If you haven't tried freestyle/anytime dining however, NCL is a great way to do it. They seem to have it down better than other lines since they aren't trying to do both; and you may find that you enjoy it. Perhaps instead of having the waitstaff/table routine, your group meets for a pre-dinner cocktail every night instead and get to know the bartender. The biggest plus is that you can eat when you are hungry and it's convenient. So late port day, can eat later; early port day the next day, can plan an early night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would not hurt to ask the Matri D' if your favorite waiter is available for the

same service setting on MOST of the nights. You may be somewhat successful

if the reservations can be stacked in your favor by planning your dinning times.

BUT FIRST !

A question how are you going to know of your favorite waiter on the first visit

to a MDR or other venue unless you are on a B2B or other recent cruise and

know of the waiters schedule and assignment ?

If you are in a Suite or higher class of stateroom these arrangements maybe

easier to arrange and use of the Concierge to pull this off.

And as always a 'fat' tip helps to smooth the wrinkles out of difficult situations !

If your favorite waiter is on a rotational assignment or serving in a small

specialty restaurant this probably will not work. Working a large party into a

small venue may cause more problems than what it is worth.

The answer would be NO !

Never the less you can ask - won't know unless you do !

GOOD LUCK - wishing you well - bon appetite !

It would not hurt to ask the Matri D' if your favorite waiter is available for the

same service setting on MOST of the nights. You may be somewhat successful

if the reservations can be stacked in your favor by planning your dinning times.

BUT FIRST !

A question how are you going to know of your favorite waiter on the first visit

to a MDR or other venue unless you are on a B2B or other recent cruise and

know of the waiters schedule and assignment ?

If you are in a Suite or higher class of stateroom these arrangements maybe

easier to arrange and use of the Concierge to pull this off.

And as always a 'fat' tip helps to smooth the wrinkles out of difficult situations !

If your favorite waiter is on a rotational assignment or serving in a small

specialty restaurant this probably will not work. Working a large party into a

small venue may cause more problems than what it is worth.

The answer would be NO !

Never the less you can ask - won't know unless you do !

GOOD LUCK - wishing you well - bon appetite !

Thanks! We will have a group of 22, with at least half in Haven cabins.

###

Thanks for the insight everyone! The flexible time does have its appeal- on our last med cruise we found our dining time often aligned with leaving port and we missed out on watching our departure a few times. I'm sure we'll enjoy any dining arrangement for what it is- the traditionalists among our group are just resistant to change, lol!