Crown Princess - What the condition is the ship in?

Dunks517

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions with regards to the Crown Princess.

1. Is it shabby and in poor condition?

2. What is the quality of the food?

3. What is the current state of the entertainment in Crooners and Adagio? Are there regular performances?

Thanks

Duncs

Edited by Dunks517

Here is a link to a bunch of photographs I took of the Crown Princess in February of 2016. You can then decide for yourself what shape it is in.

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2316257

Thanks but by your admission you state that some of the images were from 2014, that's 3 years ago. I've read that conflicting reports of the ship being tired and in need of a refurbishment, the buffet is quite poor and entertainment quite scarce.

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions with regards to the Crown Princess.

1. Is it shabby and in poor condition?

2. What is the quality of the food?

3. What is the current state of the entertainment in Crooners and Adagio? Are there regular performances?

Thanks

Duncs

We stayed on board for 38 days between end of November and beginning of January. We found the ship to be in a very good condition. We moved balcony cabins twice and everything was as expected.

We found the food to be excellent, much better than on previous cruises. We mainly used the MDR. The few times we went to the buffet, much more choices than an our previous MED cruise on Emerald and very good quality.

There was a piano player in Crooners. I don't remember if there was anything taking place in Adagio. Overall, I would rate the entertainment to be average.

Overall, we found this one of our best cruises ever. The crew is very friendly. If you miss anything, just let them know and you'll get it.

We stayed on board for 38 days between end of November and beginning of January. We found the ship to be in a very good condition. We moved balcony cabins twice and everything was as expected.

We found the food to be excellent, much better than on previous cruises. We mainly used the MDR. The few times we went to the buffet, much more choices than an our previous MED cruise on Emerald and very good quality.

There was a piano player in Crooners. I don't remember if there was anything taking place in Adagio. Overall, I would rate the entertainment to be average.

Overall, we found this one of our best cruises ever. The crew is very friendly. If you miss anything, just let them know and you'll get it.

Thanks for your reply, since posting my holiday dates have moved left a week so We've cancelled the Crown Princess and going on the Queen Mary 2.

Thanks

Duncs

I see that OP's plans have changed but if anyone else is curious about the Crown Princess...

We were on our first cruise on the Crown at the same time (but 'only' for 31 days from LA to Rio) and concur with your observations. It was one of our best cruises ever too.

The food was some of the best we've ever had on Princess (with over 20 cruises) and our MDR wait staff was by far the best. Adagio had no entertainment that I know of but it was our favorite venue for pre-dinner cocktails (the waiter in Adagio was great too). The 2 guest lecturers were excellent and the other entertainment varied (good production shows, some very good guest singers, a comedian that wasn't really funny, etc.).

We were really impressed with the staff - in fact we submitted 4 consummate host cards and survey recommendations (waiter, assistant waiter, waiter in Adagio, waiter in Vines) - the most we've ever submitted on a single cruise.

The most wear and tear I noticed was on the balconies (we were in an Emerald mini-suite). There was some rust at the bottom of the railings and the rubber mat and some of the balcony furniture were flecked with paint. Public spaces all looked good, especially decorated for the holidays.

We'd have no qualms sailing on the Crown again.

Edited by capriccio

• 2 weeks later...

There was a foot long crack on the observation deck (Deck 11 fwd) above the Pilot house, center, 4 antenna were rusted halfway in 2 mounted to the railing on that area and I mean half the mount was just gone. The Elevators all needed paint and the Fwd, Port side elevator doors were scraped badly from rubbing on the jamb and pretty dirty. Passageways on deck 14 were dirty and had dents all along the wall but had new carpet as did the rooms. Our Steward was one of the best, coming in at least 3 times a day to tidy up. Princess promised in writing warm cookies and milk and popcorn at MUTS in the evening but they told us to go and get them ourselves. They were except for 1 time cold little hockey pucks. Princess totally screwed up our Meet and Greet with wrong count and time even after I went on the very first afternoon and told them. They ration butter in MDR. I'd give the cruise a 9, the ship a 7 and the food a 9. They upsell everything they can too.

There was a foot long crack on the observation deck (Deck 11 fwd) above the Pilot house, center, 4 antenna were rusted halfway in 2 mounted to the railing on that area and I mean half the mount was just gone. The Elevators all needed paint and the Fwd, Port side elevator doors were scraped badly from rubbing on the jamb and pretty dirty. Passageways on deck 14 were dirty and had dents all along the wall but had new carpet as did the rooms. Our Steward was one of the best, coming in at least 3 times a day to tidy up. Princess promised in writing warm cookies and milk and popcorn at MUTS in the evening but they told us to go and get them ourselves. They were except for 1 time cold little hockey pucks. Princess totally screwed up our Meet and Greet with wrong count and time even after I went on the very first afternoon and told them. They ration butter in MDR. I'd give the cruise a 9, the ship a 7 and the food a 9. They upsell everything they can too.

OH my, we are going on the Crown in March. Dirty passageways? Was it because it wasn't cleaned or cleaned properly or had passengers left debris laying in the hall. Told you to get the MUTS snacks yourself? As for "upselling" I just walk away or throw the advertisement in the trash.

Rust is one thing, heavy corrosion is another. I own my own boat and know all bout galvanic corrosion and it's a nightmare. Kinda like being married, "Nags at you all the time!" :D The Walls on deck 14 were dirty like they could use a good steam cleaning or new walls. They were almost what I'd call cruddy. Before you pass judgement on me let me say, Kennedy Airport is Cruddy, so is Brooklyn and the Bronx and most of Philadelphia. Princess changed the wording this month to say Warm cookies and milk in the afternoon. I stll have the piece of paper I printed and even asked Captain Justin Lawes the question "Where are the Cookies and milk promised in my contract?" Should have brought my own Oven I guess. Stupid little thing but if you make a promise, keep it!

Rust is one thing, heavy corrosion is another. I own my own boat and know all bout galvanic corrosion and it's a nightmare. Kinda like being married, "Nags at you all the time!" :D The Walls on deck 14 were dirty like they could use a good steam cleaning or new walls. They were almost what I'd call cruddy. Before you pass judgement on me let me say, Kennedy Airport is Cruddy, so is Brooklyn and the Bronx and most of Philadelphia. Princess changed the wording this month to say Warm cookies and milk in the afternoon. I stll have the piece of paper I printed and even asked Captain Justin Lawes the question "Where are the Cookies and milk promised in my contract?" Should have brought my own Oven I guess. Stupid little thing but if you make a promise, keep it!

And what was the Captains reply??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess changed the wording this month to say Warm cookies and milk in the afternoon. I stll have the piece of paper I printed and even asked Captain Justin Lawes the question "Where are the Cookies and milk promised in my contract?" Should have brought my own Oven I guess. Stupid little thing but if you make a promise, keep it!

That's something I learned from my Grandfather when growing up. (Mostly raised by grandparents.) His word meant something. If he shook your hand you could rely on him to be honest and follow through.

You can call me an a-hole or pretty much whatever expletive you like and I won't be super offended. (I figure that's your bad manners.) Call me a liar and I'm likely to go ballistic. :cool:

Note: That, of course, doesn't preclude me being wrong but it won't be intentional.

Edited by Thrak

I have 52 witnesses who will testify he said "I'll look into it." He never gave anyone a direct answer after the M & G or were there any of the promised cookies served. They were in Horizons at meal time but hard as Doggie Biskits and the Milk was never cold always that boxed, extended life. I was raise to keep my word and I do including the fact I owe a guy $20 for hay because we his man loaded 11 round bales on the last load and I didn't have enough cash. I'll pay him.

A Promise made is a debt unpaid. Robert Service

Edited by WupperAV