Pets on the ship

Jamericannn

If someone has a certified, licensed support animal, then that animal must be allowed boarding with its owner, even if that person's handicap isn't outwardly noticeable.

As long as I am not stepping in its business, I should stay out of its business.

That's not correct. Support or comfort animals do not meet the ADA requirement and do not have to be allowed. Only certified "Service Animals" have to be allowed onboard.

If someone has a certified, licensed support animal, then that animal must be allowed boarding with its owner, even if that person's handicap isn't outwardly noticeable.

As long as I am not stepping in its business, I should stay out of its business.

The question wasn't about service animals, it was about pets. Simply pets.

Just off Freedom New Years cruise!!! There was a lady at GS in line behind us and she had her service dog because she was blind. She also had a huge stack of documents, including shot records, insurance and special papers for the dog to leave the ship in the Bahamas. Don't believe it would be as simple as stuffing Fluffy in a carry on.

Just off Freedom New Years cruise!!! There was a lady at GS in line behind us and she had her service dog because she was blind. She also had a huge stack of documents, including shot records, insurance and special papers for the dog to leave the ship in the Bahamas. Don't believe it would be as simple as stuffing Fluffy in a carry on.

All of that is so the dog can leave the ship and return to the US without quarantine. The fraudulent service dogs ( don't have to pay kennel fees) just don't leave the ship.

Frankly we have a dog and cat. And had "MANY" animals growing up.

With our dog now we do travel with her, even in our plane. But I wouldn't take her on a cruise. Even though she has stayed at Pet Friendly hotels and NEVER peed in the room or even barked. She would never enjoy being on a ship. Neither would we. Being I would be concerned for her getting out. Not to mention there are people that are not friendly to dogs or cats. We have family members that have dogs 100-120 pounds. :eek: I'm sure they would fit well on a cruise...

Edited by Kudos2Fly

No thank you. I love my pets but I have a hard enough time chasing after my kids on a cruise and making sure their needs are met...don't need to add any more bodies for me to take care of! Not to mention I just can't see how this would work, logistically, on a large scale.

Was on a cruise recently and saw a couple with a "service dog" that had to be pushed in a stroller and was blind. Different person pushing the dog around at any given time of day...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Hilarious.

Tying in to last nights bombastic thread... Would you leave your pet on board while you went ashore in a foreign port? What if you missed the ship?!?!?. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Customs in a foreign country isn't going to allow anyone to just bring a pet into their country. I'm sure the rooms stewards would love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not wanting to sound rude, but I am not an animal person, so I would be against people wanting to bring their pets on a ship. Can you imagine what the ship would look like, and smell like, plus the lawsuits...it would be a nightmare. I have nothing against people bringing their service animals on board, but pets, no way! I can see dogs jumping up and down on other passengers, raising their legs on chairs, barking at all hours of the night, dogs snipping at people, or even biting someone. Nope, not something I would want to see on ships, thank God!

Its not a good idea. What a disaster that could be! As a paraplegic cruiser that owns a LEGIT service dog, I still do not take her on cruises! It is not fair to confine her to such tight quarters with thousands of people and since I can function without her so I try and have respect for my fellow guests by leaving her at home. She stays with her trainer and has a ball the week Im gone and gets to spend time with 12-14 other Labs.

She is like my child. We all need a break from our children once in a while :)

Sorry for showing off my Allie girl :cool:

15590502_10208162258029819_3026170219564154315_n.jpg?oh=1b5083e257144451a650516ea4eac777&oe=591D0063

Edited by ryano

Service animals of course are OK.

As for pets, no since you can't clean up all the hair and dander from a stateroom or cabin. I am a huge animal lover but when you have family members who are severely allergic them, I have to say no. My daughter has a severe allergy that includes "hyper-allergenic" dogs. She and I both are allergic to Benadryl, so what do you do? No medicine to take to make you well.

Cruising is a clean place for those with these kinds of allergies.

I think you mean HYPO-Allergenic. ;-)

Also, those cheapie online fake service dog vests, etc are the exact reason why it's so difficult and expensive to get a REAL service animal. A few months ago, I was poking around looking at costs, etc for a service animal for my son (he's autistic) but most places I checked online want upwards of 10 grand for a dog.

Edited by IPlayWithString

Even though she is hypo-allergenic & very friendly, I would never dream of subjecting my sweet toy poodle rescue dog, Crêpe Suzette, to the discomforts of a cruise! What if she got seasick or lost one of her toys? Instead, she gets to go to Camp Bow Wow to play with all her little friends. :)

Since we sail in international waters, I'm not sure how much the cruise line has to conform to ADA rules.

Getting off in other countries is one thing, but the cruise ship itself is another. If the cruise line is 100% ADA compliant, you can show up with Fluffy, declare her a service dog, and there is nothing the cruise can do about it. As long as you say it's for a disability and that the dog "hears for you" or whatever, they can't ask you any other questions, can't demand paperwork/certification or anything of the sort.

I'm not saying this as someone who supports it, I'm saying this as someone who is annoyed by the service dog abuse and would love to see actual certification/documentation requirements. But the ADA is VERY clear about it. You can even train your dog yourself... and no "service dog" harness is required.

For what it's worth, you can not leave your service animal in your room per ADA requirements - it must be with the handler at all times.

Edited by BNBR

Here is the full information about Service Dogs from Carnival's website:

"Carnival only permits working service dogs on board. A working service dog is legally defined and trained to meet a disability-related need. Therapy/companion dogs or service dogs in training are not permitted on board.

Service dogs must have current vaccinations in addition to what governing port officials require. Guests must submit copies of the dog's current US vaccination records, one week in advance of embarkation, to specialneeds@carnival.com and to the Guest Services team once on board. Please know that many of the ports you may visit will only accept annual rabies vaccinations. The three-year rabies vaccination is not recognized in many countries. It is the guest’s responsibility to contact the Department of Agriculture and each port of call prior to embarkation to obtain information on the requirements for each port. If you fail to have the required vaccinations or documentation, your service dog will not be able to disembark. You may not disembark the ship at a port of call and leave your service dog unattended on board the vessel. Our ship staff cannot care for the dog. Please carry with you, while traveling, the original vaccination records and any permits required for visiting ports of call. Service dogs are permitted in dining areas, as well as all public areas of the ship, except in the pools and hot tubs. The service dog must be under control of the owner at all times. Guests are responsible for the care and feeding of their service dog. They must bring their own dog food and feed the dog in the stateroom.

Contact Guest Services on board the ship for information on the relief areas that will be set up for the service dog."

Per the ADA website the only inquiries that can be made about service dogs is asking if the animal is a service dog and what type of work the dog is trained to do. Carnival cannot ask what kind of disability the person with the dog has or ask for any specific documentation outside of vaccination records.

Since we sail in international waters, I'm not sure how much the cruise line has to conform to ADA rules.

Getting off in other countries is one thing, but the cruise ship itself is another. If the cruise line is 100% ADA compliant, you can show up with Fluffy, declare her a service dog, and there is nothing the cruise can do about it. As long as you say it's for a disability and that the dog "hears for you" or whatever, they can't ask you any other questions, can't demand paperwork/certification or anything of the sort.

I'm not saying this as someone who supports it, I'm saying this as someone who is annoyed by the service dog abuse and would love to see actual certification/documentation requirements. But the ADA is VERY clear about it. You can even train your dog yourself... and no "service dog" harness is required.

For what it's worth, you can not leave your service animal in your room per ADA requirements - it must be with the handler at all times.

Absolutely right. However, it's not the international waters that limits the ADA, but the foreign flag the ship flies. In the US Supreme Court ruling in Specter v. NCL, the court held that cruise ships must make "reasonable effort" to meet accessibility, but that absent clear indication from Congress, foreign flag ships do not need to meet ADA requirements in their "internal policies and procedures". Basically, the court said that until Congress changes the ADA to specifically include foreign flag ships, then the ADA is only partially applicable. To date, Congress has not done so.

So, realistically, the cruise lines could make their own rules about allowing service animals onboard, and how those animals could be handled. To be honest, if CLIA would do this, it would withstand probably any legal challenge, based on Specter.

One thing that many fail to notice is that the DOJ in their ADA FAQ page, state that service animals are allowed to be in two positions: on the floor, or in the owner's arms (for instance, small diabetic alert dogs). Any dog that is in a stroller or on the furniture is not a service animal, and should not be allowed to be present onboard.