Epi Pen help- quick

seashinesunshine

Can't believe I didn't think of this before, but anyone know if I need to carry on my epipen and inhalor in a special way for a flight. American out of MSP if that makes a difference. Does it need to be in the baggie with the "liquids". It does have the scrip from the pharm on it, so that's traceable. Leaving home tomorrow.

Happy Cruising

TIA

Can't believe I didn't think of this before, but anyone know if I need to carry on my epipen and inhalor in a special way for a flight. American out of MSP if that makes a difference. Does it need to be in the baggie with the "liquids". It does have the scrip from the pharm on it, so that's traceable. Leaving home tomorrow.

Happy Cruising

TIA

TIA, I also have an epipen and I just carry it in the hard plastic container it comes in and the prescription label with my name on it both in a zip lock baggie and have never once been more than questioned what was this and I simply state epipen for allergies and there is the prescription and I personally have never had any issues. Cannot speak for inhaler.

-Kyser

TIA, I also have an epipen and I just carry it in the hard plastic container it comes in and the prescription label with my name on it both in a zip lock baggie and have never once been more than questioned what was this and I simply state epipen for allergies and there is the prescription and I personally have never had any issues. Cannot speak for inhaler.

-Kyser

Thank you! I don't think they can take medical equipment away, but they are so dang expensive I don't want to take the chance.

It's not a problem taking it through with your carry-on but the maker has said to NOT x-ray the device. For a time we would tell TSA this to NOT x-ray it, but it became so much a pain with TSA that we just send it through the x-ray now. Hopefully this is OK. If you REALLY think you need it 100% full strength, you might want to endure the extra hassle NOT to x-ray it.

Also, always carry BOTH of them, not just one. There are instances where you may need the second one.

Take the pharmacy label with you just in case you encounter a power-hungry TSA smurf! I once was hassled because I had my inhaler with me (duh), but did not have the prescription label (it was on the box it came in, not on the device. Had to call for the supervisor to come and swat down the smurf, but he said I needed to have that label from now on :rolleyes: I've brought my EpiPens in the box they came in, so the label is there. I'll take the box for my inhaler and flatten it down just so I have the label in case I get tested on it again.

My husband has carried his inhaler in his carry on kept in the zip lock bag from the airport...never questioned by the airport securities.
My personal experience with a standard Ventolin inhaler: It normally lives in the pocket of my fleece jacket (together with a stick of lip balm, which is theoretically a gel and also caught by the liquids rule). If I remember at the airport, I put these into the liquids baggie. However, 95% of the time, I don't remember.

In the decade since the liquids rule came in, I think I've only been stopped once for the inhaler - it was actually last month, in Hong Kong - and the security screener just wanted sight of the inhaler (she specifically asked if I had an inhaler in the jacket) to check that it was in fact what it looked like on the X-ray screen, and she didn't even want to see the lip balm.

I know there's a chance that one day I will get held up for the full works because of this, which might encourage me to be less lazy about it. But my inference is that screeners see a lot of these, they know what they are, and they don't cause an issue.

So my advice would be to put the inhaler into the liquids baggie if you remember, but not to stress about it.

(together with a stick of lip balm, which is theoretically a gel and also caught by the liquids rule).

Lip balm in theory DOES have to be in the 3-1-1 bag but I always travel with it and never do. It stays in an easily accessible pocket in my purse and I have never once been questioned about it, or about actual lipstick which usually sits right beside it.

For the OP, meds do not need to be in your 3-1-1 bag, but as someone said, it doesn't hurt to have the Rx label in case you encounter an overzealous TSA agent.

I don't even declare the Epi-Pen or inhaler any more. HUNDREDS of flights and TSA screens and they've never batted an eye. Same thing with international security. Unless you are going someplace like Emirates, Saudi, etc., it's a non-issue.

I don't even declare the Epi-Pen or inhaler any more. HUNDREDS of flights and TSA screens and they've never batted an eye. Same thing with international security. Unless you are going someplace like Emirates, Saudi, etc., it's a non-issue.

We are all anecdotal data. Some have never been hassled, some of us have been hassled. Neither one is more or less valid than the other.

I never declare my meds - just was unlucky in getting a power-hungry TSA smurf. Do I want that to happen again? No. But, even with my HUNDREDS of flights under my belt, I'll still bring the script label - it's small and could help an unpleasant experience with some clerk hired off a pizza box ad...

We are all anecdotal data. Some have never been hassled, some of us have been hassled. Neither one is more or less valid than the other.

I never declare my meds - just was unlucky in getting a power-hungry TSA smurf. Do I want that to happen again? No. But, even with my HUNDREDS of flights under my belt, I'll still bring the script label - it's small and could help an unpleasant experience with some clerk hired off a pizza box ad...

I didn't say not to bring the script label. I said I don't declare them or pack them in a baggie.

Happy Cruising

TIA

No need to worry about epi-pen or any other meds. Be aware though, American Airlines will not grant people with allergies to pre-board (unlike other airlines). http://thegate.boardingarea.com/is-the-food-allergy-policy-of-american-airlines-considered-discriminatory/

No need to worry about epi-pen or any other meds. Be aware though, American Airlines will not grant people with allergies to pre-board (unlike other airlines).

That's a new one to me; I've traveled on many different airlines and never heard any pre-boarding announcement for people with allergies.

What's next? Pre-boarding for blondes? :0

That's a new one to me; I've traveled on many different airlines and never heard any pre-boarding announcement for people with allergies.

Well you know those seat belts can be tricky...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They board with the handicap. The reason that they have pre-boarding for allergies is to give a chance to wipe down the seats with disinfectant wipes.

We take epipens on flights including international....no problem

As ducklite suggests, it can depend a lot upon the specific country. There are no "uniform international rules" about bringing medications into a country.

And it needed be just "someplace like Emirates, Saudi, etc."

Japan has strict rules about bringing in medications, including those in limited quantities for personal use, and there are other countries with different but more strict rules.

Regarding EpiPens in particular, Japan restricts one person to brining in 2 EpiPens without prior authorization.

Getting that prior authorization isn't necessarily a problem, but it does take a bit of advance planning, submitting a form and then having the approval.

It may be unlikely that one would be stopped, although in this day and age of "drug vigilance", we wouldn't want to risk that.

We are going to Japan, and just emailed the department a list of all meds (Rx and OTC), and they wrote back in less than 24 hours, explaining which were permitted without special approval (certain quantity), which needed just the form letter, and one that needed a separate approval.

One would need to complete the form letter for more than 2 EpiPens; otherwise, no special pre-approval.

ALL of the above is per an email received within the last week, and might not apply to everyone, or coming from all countries. (We have no idea about whether that varies.)

Some meds that are OTC in the USA can be prohibited entirely in other countries.

We just prefer to get all permissions, and not have to worry about being stopped. Being stopped isn't the problem, but if something were confiscated, that could be a real problem.

(So could being detained for attempting to bring in a prohibited drug.)

It's easy to comply, unless one must take something that is restricted/prohibited, and in some cases, there are workarounds.

We always travel with the pharmacy bottle and label for each med.

(For meds we get in large pharmacy bottles - e.g., for 90 days of large capsules - our pharmacy will provide empty small bottles with the same label, so we can put in the number we need for a particular trip.)

I'm done with the first week of cruising and finally got back. I did put mine in the baggies with the lotion, and asked the tsa person who looks at our passports, she just waved me on and said no problem. The guy at the screener asked if I had any aerosols. Not sure if that counted so I pointed out my inhaler and he just waved it on.

I used my new lotion (in a small travel size container) and discovered my hands got red and swollen. Yeah, allergic to that too. Now I remembered WHY I never switch lotion brands. Short lived reaction and all was well after a few hours. Stupid thing is, I didn't connect the new lotion with the redness and swelling until I had used it 3 times. I should have known better right away

:)

I'm glad to hear you had no issues carrying on your meds, but that does stink about your hand cream! I hope it clears up quickly!

I have a similar medicine issue, however mine needs to be refrigerated and it's not something that can be ordered in a local pharmacy. It's sent to me from a specialty pharmacy.

My question is more in regards to the ice packs. Will it be an issue if I fly with my pre filled syringes in a little soft cooler pack (I'll be using one of the kids lunch boxes! Lol!) with those gel ice packs? I'll, of course, have my prescription with me on the individual syringe boxes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad to hear you had no issues carrying on your meds, but that does stink about your hand cream! I hope it clears up quickly!

I have a similar medicine issue, however mine needs to be refrigerated and it's not something that can be ordered in a local pharmacy. It's sent to me from a specialty pharmacy.

My question is more in regards to the ice packs. Will it be an issue if I fly with my pre filled syringes in a little soft cooler pack (I'll be using one of the kids lunch boxes! Lol!) with those gel ice packs? I'll, of course, have my prescription with me on the individual syringe boxes)

If you go to the TSA website, there will be listings of what can be brought aboard (get through Security, actually), and in some cases, what sizes - and also many examples of things that cannot be.

If you go to the TSA website, there will be listings of what can be brought aboard (get through Security, actually), and in some cases, what sizes - and also many examples of things that cannot be.

Lol! Good idea! I did find under the medicine tab that frozen gel packs would be considered a medical accessory and therefore ok. When I fly home, I won't have any syringes with me so I will toss the gel packs before I leave Miami (I get a few every months when my pharmacy sends me my meds) so it won't be an issue on the way back.

Lol! Good idea! I did find under the medicine tab that frozen gel packs would be considered a medical accessory and therefore ok. When I fly home, I won't have any syringes with me so I will toss the gel packs before I leave Miami (I get a few every months when my pharmacy sends me my meds) so it won't be an issue on the way back.

You could also put them in your checked baggage.

I'd really rather not, just in case..

There's this new invention out there, called a ziplock bag. And they can even be put one inside another for several layers. Plus, put something in the middle of the suitcase (rather than one of the sides) and it would take significant impact to break through all those layers.