New to Celebrity - Silhouette?

phabric

I have never cruised with Celebrity before. I have cruised with Princess 15 times and many of the other cruise lines.

I am thinking of joining a group on the Silhouette for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.

Can anybody that has been on both Princess and Celebrity compare the two?

I can have a 2A balcony category on deck 7.

Any recommendations for a balcony on deck 7?

We have been on both Princess and Celebrity. Both are very good and similar in atmosphere. We found Celebrity to have a little higher service, but that could have been the exact crew. If you like Princess you will like Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our 1st Princess was in 1992, our last was the Ruby in 2012.

1st Celebrity was in 1994, 2013, 14, and 15 were Celebrity.

Our next in Nov is back on the Equinox for the 3rd time, on deck 7!

We have been on 8,9, and 11.

Yes we have seen various changes on both lines over the last 20 years.

We feel the standards on Celebrity have remained closer to the original than on Princess.

The production shows are better on Princess.

We did an Alaskan Cruise in June of 2015 on the Ruby Princess, then a Caribbean Cruise last March on the Silhouette. Both were the first and only on each cruise line.

That being said, we enjoyed Celebrity a bit more, but mainly because it's more of an adult cruise, as there isn't much for kids to do, and thus quieter. That being said, we talked to some other people in port that were on a different Celebrity ship and they were full of 20-something spring breakers. The Princess cruise was full of kids.

We liked the decor of Celebrity a bit more (felt more modern), and we felt that they were less "in-your-face" when it came to selling extras, especially pictures. As far as shows, those aren't our thing, so I can't speak on those.

Food-wise, we ate in the MDR just about every night on Princess, but only once on Celebrity due to traveling with picky friends. I did find the MDR experience a bit nicer on Princess, but I think our travel agent hooked us up pretty well with a nice table by the window. We couldn't really judge Celebrity by one night, but we both came away with positive opinion.

We are doing another Celebrity cruise next month, so I guess that shows our preference now!

On the Silhouette, the balcony cabins have an alternating layout. One layout has the bed by the balcony, the other layout has the bed by the bath. There are advantages to both, mostly it's just personal preference.

We prefer the bed by the bath then we can sit on the couch by the glass doors and look out.

Dave

Hi,

First we are elite on Princess and have only been on two Celebrity cruises one in 2002 and a two night one in 2016.

So for me it's difficult to give you any advise as it's been to long since we had a full seven night experience on them but our two nights last year made us realized that we also should give them an other try.

We are also looking into booking the Silhouette in March and hopping we will like our experience as much as our last two Princess cruises Royal/Regal.

Will be following this interesting thread as well :-)

Sea ya

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only had 1 cruise on each so my experience isn't extensive - yet. ;) Celebrity is more refined and Princess is more fun. Food was better on Celebrity with Princess' being good but more mainstream in the choices.

I have been on 5 Princess cruises ( last time was 7 years ago) and 20 Celebrity Cruises. I always had problems finding a place to sit in the shade on the Emerald Princess, and really disliked the large screen at the pool always blaring day and night. I was thrilled to find all the great places to sit on the Silhouette. There are triangle "tent"s giving shade near the pool, lots of shade by the windows on the pool deck, shade cloth above the lounge chairs around the upper pool deck, and great places to sit in the solarium.

I loved the resistance machine in the small pool on Princess to swim in place. Nothing like it on Celebrity.

The closets are far superior on Princess. On longer cruises we have left part of our clothing in the suitcase on the smaller Celebrity ships. However, now we get free laundry (elite and elite plus) on Celebrity we don't have to bring so many clothes.

Sailing in April, we have been away from Celebrity for awhile.

Our last sailing with Princess on the Royal Princess was one of our favorites. Stunning ship, great service and the food, even at the buffet, was excellent.

Excited to sail the Silhouette as we have not been on the S class. :) I do not expect to many differences between the lines.

Edited by janetz

I was on the Silhouette about a year ago and had a very nice cruise. It was actually fairly comparable to the Caribbean Princess about four years ago as a total experience. Each line did a few things a little better, but to me Princess was a more consistent experience with both fewer highs and fewer lows. The worst part about Silhouette was the MDR service, which was terrible. Also the bars were understaffed and it was hard to get a drink as often as not. But the Silhouette is a beautiful ship and felt more luxurious than on Princess. Cabin service was comparable and neither line handled disembarkment well. I would not hesitate going to X from Princess unless there are certain things you really like about Princess and your research indicates these are weak points for X.

For point of reference I've cruised X, Princess, Carnival and NCL and consider X my go-to and would rank Princess a close second to X out of these.

We have been on both Princess and Celebrity. Both are very good and similar in atmosphere. We found Celebrity to have a little higher service, but that could have been the exact crew. If you like Princess you will like Celebrity.

It is strange but on our latest back to back on Silhouette and Royal Princess service in MDR was better on Princess. Which is strange as on X it was always white glove and the best. Still we loved Silhouette. The best pool area with tons of padded loungers with towels. Main production shows were better on X, while overall entertainment better on Princess.

I haven't sailed on Princess so this may not be helpful but I recently sailed on Sillouette and I have to say it is the most beautiful ship I have been on and the friendliness and service of the crew was exceptional. The crew is genuinely happy.

I haven't sailed on Princess so this may not be helpful but I recently sailed on Sillouette and I have to say it is the most beautiful ship I have been on and the friendliness and service of the crew was exceptional. The crew is genuinely happy.

I second everything puppyluv1 said!

I agree about crew overall, except we had assistant waiter (Manuel?) who was not happy at all. He looked like he hated his job or just was very sad. Unfortunately it was him who served us most of the time. We have never seen anything like that on any line.

It was bothersome, but we did not want to report it in case something really bad happened in his life.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off Silhouette yesterday (second Celebrity cruise). Also cruised Star Princess to Alaska and Ruby Princess repositioning TA in 2013. This is only OUR opinion. They are both beautiful, clean, well-maintained lines. The staff on both have been extraordinary for us. We found the specialty dining choices more plentiful on Celebrity. Princess has a great steakhouse and Sabatini's Italian. Celebrity has many GREAT specialty choices (Sushi on 5, Lawn Club Grill, Tuscan Grille, Murano, Qsine (also a couple of restaurants for suite and aqua class passengers which we did not have access to). The grill and pizzeria by the pool is better on Princess. The pastry is much better on Princess. We had wonderful (and accessible) officers on our Transatlantic Princess cruise. We took the "Ultimate Ship's Tour", and it was to die for! Had Commodore Giuseppe Romano for a captain, and he was spectacular! Had champagne & bonbons with him on the bridge! (No, he did not drink the champagne). He loved explaining everything to us, and gave us the feeling we could have stayed there all day. Embarkation was easier with Celebrity. Debarkation was easier with Princess. On both of our Celebrity cruises, we were able to get included drink packages (which is a big deal for us). Our next cruise is in October on the Royal Princess (Transatlantic). Waiting to see if they have more dining options on the newer Princess ships. All in all, we recommend both.I must add that I asked my travel agent about a Royal Caribbean (when I was booking the TA) and she said she didn't think I would be happy with the food after cruising Princess and Celebrity (for what it's worth, food is so subjective). Hope this helps. Happy cruising!