Driving south from Canada to Port of Miami

Interesting stories. I was thinking with gas and hotels, it can't be that much different in price than flying - but it really is a lot cheaper.

So a follow up - why not just cruise out of NY or Baltimore? Just bored of the itineraries?

Interesting stories. I was thinking with gas and hotels, it can't be that much different in price than flying - but it really is a lot cheaper.

So a follow up - why not just cruise out of NY or Baltimore? Just bored of the itineraries?

We take winter cruises to get away from the snow and the cold. I want to be on deck in shorts and a t-shirt and an umbrella drink in hand during sail away!:)

We take winter cruises to get away from the snow and the cold. I want to be on deck in shorts and a t-shirt and an umbrella drink in hand during sail away!:)

Exactly! I don't want to spend the first and last 1 1/2- 2 days of the cruise in cold weather and the 7/8 day cruises out of NY and Baltimore have crappy itineraries.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

... the dreaded Washington area. On the way back we came through there at about 11 a.m. and it was a totally different story to the trip down. If we were to drive it again and knew we were going to hit D.C. at rush hour I might go further west and avoid it altogether...
Having lived in the DC area most of my life I can attest that morning rush hour starts before 5:30am and lasts until at least 10; evening rush hour starts about 2:30 and lasts until well after 7. Within the US, only L.A. has longer commute times than Washington (note that NY City etc have more/better public transportation than DC).

In some stretches near DC I-95 and the DC beltway have HOT lanes (High Occupancy + Toll; free for High Occupancy - HO definitions vary by road, but generally 3 or more people). Note there is no cash collection; you must have EZ Pass, and even though you meet the HOV definition you must have switchable EZ Pass Flex to avoid tolls. Tolls vary depending on demand, and can become quite high. Last year so many people were trying to use the HOT lanes to get around a wreck on I-95 that the toll exceeded US$20 for one mile!

Be aware that in Virginia one definition of Reckless Driving is exceeding the speed limit by 20 miles per hour OR driving in excess of 80 mph (even if the speed limit is 70 mph, the speed limit on much of non-urban interstates in VA). Reckless Driving citations are much more costly than speeding tickets.

Thom

We live east of Toronto as well. We drove to FLL for our recent cruise, exactly the same route as the OP. We also drove in 2009 to Orlando/PC for a Disney/cruise vacation. The other two Florida cruises in my signature, we flew, but that was from a point further west before we moved to this end of the country.

Why did we drive?

-Airfare times 4 could be as high as $3000 at Christmas (> $700 per person in high season).

-in a way it's almost as convenient to drive. Where we live, we have to drive at least 2 hours to the nearest airport. Or take 2 trains (one to downtown Toronto, then switch to the UP to the Airport...this is a costly alternative for 4 people though...probably another $100 or more per person). In most situations, flying out of Toronto/Ottawa/Syracuse means driving the night before and paying for a hotel near the airport. In most situations flying anywhere is a two-day experience from where we live.

We have a small airport in our city but service to Toronto is unreliable (small planes get cancelled/delayed often, baggage gets left behind because the plane is so small). You have to book your first leg at least 5-6 hours ahead of the main flight to make sure that there's time for the inevitable delays to get caught up. That, and the 60 minute flight (gate to gate) from our city to Toronto is an expensive add-on. My husband travels A LOT for work, they book his flights out of our local airport and it is a huge headache. I don't know anyone who flies out of this airport for pleasure, just business travellers when work is paying.

We left on a Wednesday evening, drove through the night and all day Thursday. Stopped just south of Jacksonville and we were in FLL by lunch time Friday. If we had flown, we would have left Wednesday evening, drove to Toronto, flown out Thursday morning and would have been in FLL Thursday afternoon. So it "cost" us a day more than flying, and then we had a car at our disposal. We spent 3 days in Orlando post cruise, which we wouldn't have done if we had flown. Coming home, similar but we didn't drive through the night - we left Orlando late afternoon, got 6 hours out of the way, stayed in Florence SC, then drove the rest the next day.

We did encounter some awful weather between Syracuse and Watertown. But that type of weather is also possible when we drive 2 hours to/from the airport.

If I lived in/near Toronto and could just taxi to the airport, we'd consider flying more seriously. If it was just my husband and I, no kids, we'd probably fly (airfare x4 vs airfare x2). If it was off season and the flights weren't through the roof, we'd probably fly.

We live east of Toronto in Durham Region and are frequent visitors to Myrtle Beach SC and Gettysburg PA so have done both routes dozens of times however won't drive them in late Nov/Dec/Jan or Feb and even March break can be ify. We tend to leave at 2am to start the drive having had a 3-4hrs sleep first.

We sail on Jan 23 out of FLL and are flying. Air Canada on a pretty big seat sale is still costing $820 for 2 adults, plus hotel near Pearson night before flying which includes parking for 14 days and then a hotel in FLL night before we sail.

Flying out of Buffalo same issues with snow and terrible exchange rate. Flying from Canada to cruise ports is expensive however depending on time of year and time off work dictates how we Canadians get to the sunny destinations in the cold snowy winter.:)

We are usually the same, but I don't think I could pass the Anchor Bar without stopping. Its my Mecca.

As a life long Buffalonian, (Niagara Falls actually, but whenever I tell someone outside of Western New York I live in NF, they think I'm Canadian) you are selling yourself short if the Anchor Bar is your mecca for wings. Granted, they are the original, but there are so many better wings in Buffalo. :)

More power to those of you that make that drive! DD lives 2 hours west of Toronto and in 2015 we did a sailing out of Ft Lauderdale. I had her fly to me (DC suburbs) and then we hit the road. We've done the 13 hour drive from DC to Port Canaveral MANY times, but this is only the second time we drove all the way to South Florida. We actually stopped for the night in PC and watched the ships leaving port. Took ALL day to drive down the coast taking the beach road. So much longer, but beautiful (especially in a convertible). Don't think we will make that drive again. Might take the train. Don't like flying because I like the freedom of a flexible schedule, and no baggage limits other than what my poor beetle will hold.

My question - going east from Toronto, as opposed to heading west/south down the QEW and through Niagara/Buffalo... how much time did it save you? I'm in the Toronto area a fair amount and have never explored the option of going the other way...

More power to those of you that make that drive! DD lives 2 hours west of Toronto and in 2015 we did a sailing out of Ft Lauderdale. I had her fly to me (DC suburbs) and then we hit the road. We've done the 13 hour drive from DC to Port Canaveral MANY times, but this is only the second time we drove all the way to South Florida. We actually stopped for the night in PC and watched the ships leaving port. Took ALL day to drive down the coast taking the beach road. So much longer, but beautiful (especially in a convertible). Don't think we will make that drive again. Might take the train. Don't like flying because I like the freedom of a flexible schedule, and no baggage limits other than what my poor beetle will hold.

My question - going east from Toronto, as opposed to heading west/south down the QEW and through Niagara/Buffalo... how much time did it save you? I'm in the Toronto area a fair amount and have never explored the option of going the other way...

Well lets just say there isn't a rush hour(s) :)

Easy drive 3 lanes from Oshawa to Cobourg, 2 lanes from there to Gananoque crossing. There are trucks of course but nothing like 401/QEW and really no slow down. There had been some 401 construction through Kingston this past summer but again nothing like TO.

Enroute in Trenton, and again just before Kingston with plenty of McDons/Tims off the 401. For us even if it means a slightly longer trip so much easier than 401/QEW we do use the 407 to QEW if crossing at Fort Erie.

Crossing is easy and never too busy and you are straight onto I81.

I81 is a great drive through NY and once into PA it gets hilly but not WV hilly.

407 now comes out to east to Oshawa so depending on where you are in TO can even eliminate 401 east through TO. Take 407 to 412 which now links to 401 and straight through from there.

Edited by soccercrazy

As a nearly lifelong South Florida resident...I can emphatically say with full knowledge and experience that we locals wish all Canadians would fly here and take Ubers or Taxis wherever you go! I'm sure you (Canadians) have many great qualities and attributes....but driving does not seem to be one of them!

(Post written with a smile, so don't take it too personally!)

This year we ended up doing through Detroit and I75 all the way to FLL as they were calling for bad weather between Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

As someone who used to live in Detroit and has driven many times to and from Florida, as well as to and from New England, I would much rather drive 75 South from Detroit to avoid the East Coast and the mountains as much as possible.

Well lets just say there isn't a rush hour(s) :)

Being from the DC area, rush hour doesn't scare me! :-)

May have to explore that route. I still haven't quite figured out all the border crossings. We have nexus, and I know there's a crossing just for us (in niagara), but there's something about adding toll money to our card that has just scared me away.

As a nearly lifelong South Florida resident...I can emphatically say with full knowledge and experience that we locals wish all Canadians would fly here and take Ubers or Taxis wherever you go! I'm sure you (Canadians) have many great qualities and attributes....but driving does not seem to be one of them!

(Post written with a smile, so don't take it too personally!)

That's too funny. I happen to agree with you, but friends of DD, who live in Florida, complain about Floridians that don't know how to drive! LOL At least the Canadians who cut you off will apologize! ;-)

OP again here. Re the question about going east from Toronto instead of west through Buffalo. Going east you hit way less traffic than having to cross Toronto and then down to Niagara.

I believe the Queenston Lewiston crossing and others around that area are some of the busiest in Canada. I know we have had to wait up to 2 hours once just to cross and that was with no strike action going on. Then again depending on what time you cross can make a big difference.

But crossing at Hill Island (east of Kingston), we got there at 6am and drove straight up to the border agent checkpoint. Through in 30 seconds and that was it, we were on our way south on our trip. I just find that driving east is far more relaxing and at least scenic. When you go west from where I am as soon as you cross into Durham you are driving past concrete and construction till you get past Hamilton, its pretty depressing.

We drive to Watertown NY quite regularly and at least once a year for the last few years we take I-81 to I-90 and then east to MA. I like the drive, very few major cities to cross and mostly country side.

Our flight prices up here in the frozen north are ridiculous. Even a so called seat sale isnt really a sale in the end. We have very little competition for the two major airlines, Westjet and Air Canada so they set whatever prices they like. If I wanted to fly to Calgary right now which is about 4 hours flight time it would cost me close to $800 Can or approx $650 US. Ridiculous prices.

The exchange rate is great for Americans coming north but lousy for us that like to go south.

I don't mean this in a snarky way - I'm just genuinely curious why anyone would make sure a long drive for a cruise? What's wrong with flying?

Do you know many Canadians? :) They are a different breed. I remember back in the late 90's when I was still living in the Detroit area, I had a boss that commuted every day from outside of Windsor. After the completion of a large project, he decided to host a pool party at his house for his team. Crossing into Canada, the Canadian Customs agent asked if I had anything to declare? No ma'am. Any alcohol or tobacco? No ma'am. What's my business in Canada? Going to a pool party ma'am. Her head snapped towards me and her eyes opened so wide. And then she asked... You're going to a pool party and you didn't bring any beer?!?!?

Like I said... a different breed there in the Great White North. Definitely a lot more laid back than the stuffy prudes here in the States! :)

That's too funny. I happen to agree with you, but friends of DD, who live in Florida, complain about Floridians that don't know how to drive! LOL At least the Canadians who cut you off will apologize! ;-)

That is exactly what I was thinking! Everytime I have driven in Florida, the ability to drive was not something I thought of regarding qualities of Floridians! :)

And I have never seen so many people cutting others off until I moved to Houston. However, it appears to be accepted as a way of life. At least most Texans aren't mean drivers.

Ok typing this with a smile..but....I posted my review of my Navigator cruise and the first thing I pretty much started with was how about Americans put down their cell phones when driving. We drove the length of the country and everywhere we looked people were either on their phones or had something large and exciting in their laps that was making them smile when they looked down!!

As I was in a truck I could look down on a lot of vehicles and both my wife and I were stunned at the texting going on. I dont know what the laws are like in the various states but up here in Ontario its illegal to text and drive or even use your phone unless its hand free/blue tooth etc. I witnessed some absolutely terrible driving because people were using phones. There were plenty of road side signs warning people etc. but the point doesnt seem to be getting through

Being from the DC area, rush hour doesn't scare me! :-)

May have to explore that route. I still haven't quite figured out all the border crossings. We have nexus, and I know there's a crossing just for us (in niagara), but there's something about adding toll money to our card that has just scared me away.

There is a Nexus lane at the crossing in Ganaoque (also referred to as Thousand Island/Hill Island).

If you are referring to the 407 toll since it is electronic and they take a photo of your license plate, you may or may not get a bill for the toll. It all depends if the 407 has an agreement with the state which your plate is from. I can say that friends from PA use the 407 when coming here and have yet to receive a bill, just saying :)

The 407 is probably similar to the DC toll in that the rates change depending on day and time and a transponder for the 407 is not mandatory, they just charge an extra fee if you don't have one.

I live in Ottawa and have driven to Florida plenty of times. (pretty much the route the OP described). We have a cruise booked out of Miami for next December and I contemplated driving down. I figure the drive adds at least four days of additional hotels, meals and time to the trip compared to flying. Along with gas consumption and parking the car at or near the cruise terminal, about the only way driving down for us (two people) would make sense is if we planned on being in Florida for at least one week before or after the cruise with a rental car. We're going to fly and save the time, effort, stress and (in my opinion) money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree with you d970. I live just on the outskirts of Toronto and have drove a few times. We have drove straight and by the time we got to Florida I felt like I was part of the vehicle. We have done it in two days and stopping for the night which was okay and then we tried driving down on a Friday night and spending the night Friday and Saturday in hotels and arriving into Florida on the Sunday and that was the worst. It felt like we would never make it there. For me and my daughter we will fly. It's faster and convenient,

During the non-rush hour cruise times, it's only about 40 minutes to Miami from our house in west Broward. Could you imagine 2+ days of driving!?

Don't even imagine, trust me its no fun. I certainly do not have patience for it anymore.

WOW!!!! That is pricey for such a short flight. What a shame. Maybe worth driving to NYC area and then jumping on the JetBlue flight?

That is an option driving to buffalo, park and fly from there.

We live east of Toronto as well. We drove to FLL for our recent cruise, exactly the same route as the OP. We also drove in 2009 to Orlando/PC for a Disney/cruise vacation. The other two Florida cruises in my signature, we flew, but that was from a point further west before we moved to this end of the country.

Why did we drive?

-Airfare times 4 could be as high as $3000 at Christmas (> $700 per person in high season).

-in a way it's almost as convenient to drive. Where we live, we have to drive at least 2 hours to the nearest airport. Or take 2 trains (one to downtown Toronto, then switch to the UP to the Airport...this is a costly alternative for 4 people though...probably another $100 or more per person). In most situations, flying out of Toronto/Ottawa/Syracuse means driving the night before and paying for a hotel near the airport. In most situations flying anywhere is a two-day experience from where we live.

We have a small airport in our city but service to Toronto is unreliable (small planes get cancelled/delayed often, baggage gets left behind because the plane is so small). You have to book your first leg at least 5-6 hours ahead of the main flight to make sure that there's time for the inevitable delays to get caught up. That, and the 60 minute flight (gate to gate) from our city to Toronto is an expensive add-on. My husband travels A LOT for work, they book his flights out of our local airport and it is a huge headache. I don't know anyone who flies out of this airport for pleasure, just business travellers when work is paying.

We left on a Wednesday evening, drove through the night and all day Thursday. Stopped just south of Jacksonville and we were in FLL by lunch time Friday. If we had flown, we would have left Wednesday evening, drove to Toronto, flown out Thursday morning and would have been in FLL Thursday afternoon. So it "cost" us a day more than flying, and then we had a car at our disposal. We spent 3 days in Orlando post cruise, which we wouldn't have done if we had flown. Coming home, similar but we didn't drive through the night - we left Orlando late afternoon, got 6 hours out of the way, stayed in Florence SC, then drove the rest the next day.

We did encounter some awful weather between Syracuse and Watertown. But that type of weather is also possible when we drive 2 hours to/from the airport.

If I lived in/near Toronto and could just taxi to the airport, we'd consider flying more seriously. If it was just my husband and I, no kids, we'd probably fly (airfare x4 vs airfare x2). If it was off season and the flights weren't through the roof, we'd probably fly.

Gi Pam, I completely understand. For me it's just my daughter and I but if there was 4 or more, I may continue to drive down. With just the two of us, plus living near Toronto where my sister could drop us off and pick us up, it is a bit more convenient. I know for our cruise coming up in 2018 I will be looking at 13-1500 for the flight because its during March break but to make it worth it, we will fly down a bit earlier and do some parks.

Do you know many Canadians? :) They are a different breed. I remember back in the late 90's when I was still living in the Detroit area, I had a boss that commuted every day from outside of Windsor. After the completion of a large project, he decided to host a pool party at his house for his team. Crossing into Canada, the Canadian Customs agent asked if I had anything to declare? No ma'am. Any alcohol or tobacco? No ma'am. What's my business in Canada? Going to a pool party ma'am. Her head snapped towards me and her eyes opened so wide. And then she asked... You're going to a pool party and you didn't bring any beer?!?!?

Like I said... a different breed there in the Great White North. Definitely a lot more laid back than the stuffy prudes here in the States! :)

I live in South Florida. Of course I know Canadians. I get stuck behind one doing 30 in a 45 at least 4 times per day. :D

As a life long Buffalonian, (Niagara Falls actually, but whenever I tell someone outside of Western New York I live in NF, they think I'm Canadian) you are selling yourself short if the Anchor Bar is your mecca for wings. Granted, they are the original, but there are so many better wings in Buffalo. :)

I could have quoted several posts in this thread but since I grew up in Buffalo (technically, Williamsville), I had to start by declaring my allegiance to Duff's. :D

With that out of the way, I also wanted to add a warning about taking the I-95 route at certain times of the year. We drove from NYC to Savannah a few years ago between Christmas and New Year's on I-95. The road was filled with cars almost the entire time such that no one could pass anyone. The high speed lane was doing about 55 mph and no one would pull over to the right for fear of not being able to get back into the high speed lane. Took a lot longer than planned. I think this was mostly due to the snowbirds who drive south for the winter after Christmas.

If you take the I-75 route, wave to me as you pass exit 24 in Ohio. I live a couple of miles away from the exit.