Just Have to Vent

dbrucern

That's just the terrible customer service I've ever heard of. They cancel your cruise but then give you no flexibility in rescheduling.

Were you outside of the penalty area when they canceled your cruise?

If so why can't you or the OP cancel and rebook? That is what makes me scratch my head the most.

Bill

They did offer some flexibility on rescheduling, it just had to be similar ship/itinerary. This was well before any penalty phase, and I never book early saver, so I had no worries about losing any money regardless.

I had a great rate on my original cruise; the cruises that we were offered to rebook (same ship, same itinerary) actually had higher rates than the one I booked, but we were price protected. I said well if you are switching me to a cruise that costs XYZ, you are effectively just giving me a credit of XYZ, so let's apply that credit to a 7 day instead of a 4 day and I will pay the difference but they would not do that.

I wasn't particularly upset or angry about it, and nowhere did I indicate that was the case, just saying I had a similar situation to OP and hit the same wall they did as well.

And, not aimed at you, but the amount of people 100% missing the point and only talking about the $25 OBC is staggering. It's like they find the one trivial, non-impactful detail and use it to bash the OP because they can't figure out the real issue even when it is clearly put forth for them.

And, not aimed at you, but the amount of people 100% missing the point and only talking about the $25 OBC is staggering. It's like they find the one trivial, non-impactful detail and use it to bash the OP because they can't figure out the real issue even when it is clearly put forth for them.

This!

I will never understand why some people on Cruise Critic feel that the anonymity of social media gives them the right to be mean! If you have a point, raise it. If you don't understand, ask the clarifying question. If you feel the need to criticize others, move on, just ignore the post and keep looking!

They did offer some flexibility on rescheduling, it just had to be similar ship/itinerary. This was well before any penalty phase, and I never book early saver, so I had no worries about losing any money regardless.

I had a great rate on my original cruise; the cruises that we were offered to rebook (same ship, same itinerary) actually had higher rates than the one I booked, but we were price protected. I said well if you are switching me to a cruise that costs XYZ, you are effectively just giving me a credit of XYZ, so let's apply that credit to a 7 day instead of a 4 day and I will pay the difference but they would not do that.

I wasn't particularly upset or angry about it, and nowhere did I indicate that was the case, just saying I had a similar situation to OP and hit the same wall they did as well.

So, there is a lot of confusion in this thread because, I think, some folks are assuming that everyone reading it understands the inner workings of the booking process, etc. So just to clarify...the issue is not that Carnival is unwilling to refund the deposits and allow the OP to walk away, the issue is that the OP want to keep the great rate that was locked in with the original booking. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

Brad

I still don't understand this whole thread. A cruise was cancelled. The OP is well within the cancellation policy. They did not book ES.

Just cancel, get your refund, and book another cruise. It's in black and white on the Carnival website.

Simple.

Reading the OPs responses I am getting the vibe that "price point" is the issue. If that is the case they would probably have to book a similar cruise to get the same "initial cost" if they want to pay the "same".

Change your cruise criteria (under any circumstances) and the prevailing price point will come into play.

Is this the contention? As the price goes up the deposit will go up to. Does the OP want the same deposit to cover the new cruise (at a different price point) because the less expensive cruise was cancelled...I'm starting to think this is the issue.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I still don't understand this whole thread. A cruise was cancelled. The OP is well within the cancellation policy. They did not book ES.

Just cancel, get your refund, and book another cruise. It's in black and white on the Carnival website.

Simple.

Reading the OPs responses I am getting the vibe that "price point" is the issue. If that is the case they would probably have to book a similar cruise to get the same "initial cost" if they want to pay the "same".

Change your cruise criteria (under any circumstances) and the prevailing price point will come into play.

Is this the contention?

Once again, reading really helps. The OP DID book ES (see post 34). I swear I haven't seen a thread with so many people ready to take on others without comprehending what is going on in a long time. Perhaps it's best to stop commenting on things one doesn't understand.

Simple.

Is this the contention? As the price goes up the deposit will go up to. Does the OP want the same deposit to cover the new cruise (at a different price point) because the less expensive cruise was cancelled...I'm starting to think this is the issue.

There is no price point or vibe in play here. The OP booked a 4 day sailing on the Victory that was cancelled for a dry dock. They can get their FULL amount refunded without any penalties. But what they want is to rebook the Vista 6 day sailing and use the $1000 they paid for the shorter cruise towards the cost of the longer sailing. Carnival says no, that they can only apply the credit to a "similar" cruise, meaning another 4 dayer.

That's what the beef is about. And I agree with the OP- Carnival are being d**ks.

Tony

Per Carnival's legal document:

"CRUISE CANCELLATION

If a cruise is cancelled, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit."

It's in black and white and does not differ to ES or any other type of booking.

Please provide links that say a passenger cannot cancel and receive a full refund under these circumstances.

If they can cancel and rebook another cruise why the hang-up about applying a credit to another cruise unless there are financial motives that we aren't privy to. It sure seem clear cut to me.

This is BS. I would take it up the ladder. Carnival usually doesn't turn away additional money.

Or take the $50.00pp loss and just rebook the cruise you want. Not the best solution, but sounds like others didn't have any luck either.

Frustrating. I'd be PO'd too!:mad:

This is BS. I would take it up the ladder. Carnival usually doesn't turn away additional money.

Or take the $50.00pp loss and just rebook the cruise you want. Not the best solution, but sounds like others didn't have any luck either.

Frustrating. I'd be PO'd too!:mad:

What $50 pp loss? ES does not factor into the scenario when it cancels a cruise. A person is entitled to all monies back. All the OP needs to do is cancel the cruise and state to the person handling the transaction the appropriate dialogue from the cruise contract. Then it's a new slate and they begin again.

The OP has not been forthright in what they want...so the venting is about something in addition to what they have provided as information.

Still seems to me that you should be able to forget about the credit toward a different cruise, take a full cash refund and then book whatever cruise you want. You already stated you're willing to pay the higher cost so...:confused::confused::confused:

What $50 pp loss? ES does not factor into the scenario when it cancels a cruise. A person is entitled to all monies back. All the OP needs to do is cancel the cruise and state to the person handling the transaction the appropriate dialogue from the cruise contract. Then it's a new slate and they begin again.

The OP has not been forthright in what they want...so the venting is about something in addition to what they have provided as information.

That's not what it sounded like from previous posts. I didn't see anything saying they were given the option to cancel for a full refund. Sounds like they can book a "comparable" cruise. Unless I missed it. Sorry!!!!:o

That's not what it sounded like from previous posts. I didn't see anything saying they were given the option to cancel for a full refund. Sounds like they can book a "comparable" cruise. Unless I missed it. Sorry!!!!:o

They weren't given the option by the person their PVP.

Bigman posted in post #33 the link to the contract that states they should be offered a cash refund for canceled cruises.

As most on here will jump all over somebody when they complain about their ports being swapped out or other things like that and tell them to "read their contract" the contract in this case seems to be in the favor of the OP.

Hopefully the OP comes back with good news and is booked on the 6 day Vista.

Bill

They weren't given the option by the person their PVP.

Bigman posted in post #33 the link to the contract that states they should be offered a cash refund for canceled cruises.

As most on here will jump all over somebody when they complain about their ports being swapped out or other things like that and tell them to "read their contract" the contract in this case seems to be in the favor of the OP.

Hopefully the OP comes back with good news and is booked on the 6 day Vista.

Bill

Bill, I don't think we've been told the WHOLE story. It's pretty simple that if Carnival cancels the cruise, guests can get a refund, should they want it. What I suspect the issue is that Carnival offered some sort of "price protection", where they will allow the guest to transfer to a comparable cruise and honor the price originally paid. But now the OP wants to transfer to a 6 day on the Vista, and Carnival is saying that's not a comparable cruise, which it isn't. So I think the OP is actually wanting to pay the difference between what they originally paid and the current rate for a 6 day on the Vista. It's pretty clear that they could get a complete refund if wanted - but they don't want a refund...they want the "price protection" to transfer to the Vista and then pay the difference. I could very well be wrong, but I suspect that's what the issue is.

I probably didn't explain that well enough, but hopefully you can figure out what I'm trying to say.

Bill, I don't think we've been told the WHOLE story. It's pretty simple that if Carnival cancels the cruise, guests can get a refund, should they want it. What I suspect the issue is that Carnival offered some sort of "price protection", where they will allow the guest to transfer to a comparable cruise and honor the price originally paid. But now the OP wants to transfer to a 6 day on the Vista, and Carnival is saying that's not a comparable cruise, which it isn't. So I think the OP is actually wanting to pay the difference between what they originally paid and the current rate for a 6 day on the Vista. It's pretty clear that they could get a complete refund if wanted - but they don't want a refund...they want the "price protection" to transfer to the Vista and then pay the difference. I could very well be wrong, but I suspect that's what the issue is.

I probably didn't explain that well enough, but hopefully you can figure out what I'm trying to say.

I totally understand what you are saying. That seems to be the only plausible explanation as far as I can tell.

Bill

If they booked ES (and I think that they did) then they would lose $50pp when they cancel and Carnival holds the remainder of the deposit for a future cruise. Here it is from their website:

Does Early Saver and Early Saver Last Call follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USD service fee per person.

So, there is a lot of confusion in this thread because, I think, some folks are assuming that everyone reading it understands the inner workings of the booking process, etc. So just to clarify...the issue is not that Carnival is unwilling to refund the deposits and allow the OP to walk away, the issue is that the OP want to keep the great rate that was locked in with the original booking. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

Brad

1. carnival is willing to make the refund as far as I can tell.

2. Carnival is price protecting similar sailings. So the OP can just 'switch' to a similar ship or itinerary for no additional money out of pocket, even if the new week happens to currently being sold for more money. So they are "price protected".

I think what OP is saying, and what I was saying to Carnival, was you are basically giving me a credit for XYZ, not for the original amount I paid. So if you are willing to give a credit for XYZ, let me kick in an extra ABC and just do a longer cruise. But Carnival won't allow that. The credit is good on a finite number of sailings, not a credit applicable across the board. It's like well, you are basically crediting me 4 nights, so what do you value each night at and I'll just pay that amount to do a 7 night.

I went through this situation in 2014.

Carnival cancelled our cruise.

We were given a refund for the amount we had paid.

We had a few weeks to book a comparable cruise-meaning the same number of days.

When we did this we were given that cruise at the same price we had for the cancelled cruise. Price Protection.

We were also given a $50pp OBC since ours was a 7 day cruise.

Someone on our roll call for the cancelled cruise tried to switch to an 8 day. Carnival wouldn't let them even though they were willing to pay for the 8th day. I think this is the same situation. Carnival won't budge. Maybe there is a cruise in 2019 that they could book for a 4 day on a ship they would want to sail. If not they will just not be getting the OBC.

Edit: By the way we were booked Early Saver and still got the refund. We didn't cancel they cancelled us. But when we booked the comparable cruise we had to book it Early Saver.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

I went through this situation in 2014.

Carnival cancelled our cruise.

We were given a refund for the amount we had paid.

We had a few weeks to book a comparable cruise-meaning the same number of days.

When we did this we were given that cruise at the same price we had for the cancelled cruise. Price Protection.

We were also given a $50pp OBC since ours was a 7 day cruise.

Someone on our roll call for the cancelled cruise tried to switch to an 8 day. Carnival wouldn't let them even though they were willing to pay for the 8th day. I think this is the same situation. Carnival won't budge. Maybe there is a cruise in 2019 that they could book for a 4 day on a ship they would want to sail. If not they will just not be getting the OBC.

Edit: By the way we were booked Early Saver and still got the refund. We didn't cancel they cancelled us. But when we booked the comparable cruise we had to book it Early Saver.

I forgot to add that you need to book the same category of cabin for the price protection.

If they booked ES (and I think that they did) then they would lose $50pp when they cancel and Carnival holds the remainder of the deposit for a future cruise. Here it is from their website:

Does Early Saver and Early Saver Last Call follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USD service fee per person.

Carnival has cancelled the cruise, NOT the OP!

There is no ES penalty involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app