Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

Having 30 years experience dealing with the public I have seen no such correlation. Dressed up people don't behave better than those who dress more casually. Often they behave worse.

Two words

Bullingdon Club

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bullingdon+club&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK39KLk9vRAhUiLMAKHeKkBsEQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=XUrdEg3WzIlABM%3A

And here are three young men who dress up smartly to go to work, obviously decent chaps compared with the usual ragamuffins who don't know how to dress

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kray+twins+wearing+tuxedos&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqsd2LlNvRAhVpKsAKHfJZCWsQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=lmDqGjR5wMeJxM%3A

Edited by DYKWIA

I love your posts ... kindred spirit!!![emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

As I said, watching someone in a tux pitchfork his steak and then hack saw a chunk off and then switch hands to re stab cut piece of meat just proves the adage "mutton dressed as lamb" ... and I'm not talking about said cut of meat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I am not sure what airline(s) restrict luggage. It is often mentioned here but I have never seen it in practice. Yes, if you travel with multiple suitcases you might need to pay more. The simple approach is to take less if one has difficulty paying for the extra. I know I have no difficulty packing clothes for a 2-3 week cruise, including dark suit and suitable shirt and shoes, in one medium size suitcase. I think the whining about evil airline restrictions and charges are just an excuse.

Spirit airlines and American Airlines just made an economy class category where you can only bring one carry on and it has to fit under the seat.

I am not sure what airline(s) restrict luggage. It is often mentioned here but I have never seen it in practice. Yes, if you travel with multiple suitcases you might need to pay more. The simple approach is to take less if one has difficulty paying for the extra. I know I have no difficulty packing clothes for a 2-3 week cruise, including dark suit and suitable shirt and shoes, in one medium size suitcase. I think the whining about evil airline restrictions and charges are just an excuse.

I generally wear my Tux on chic nights. But after reading some of these comments I am thinking about conducting my own Senior Hairy Chest contest, while sharing MDR tables with those that like to dress down. After all, if we no longer have etiquette or standards...then why not? I am sure our tablemates would love to have this Senior guy wearing a name brand swim suit and showing off all the gray chest hair. And in order not to insult anyone...perhaps I could wear pasties.

Hank

Guess what? How YOU dress affects ME in no way! Surprise! No one cares what you do.

Spirit airlines and American Airlines just made an economy class category where you can only bring one carry on and it has to fit under the seat.

Spirit has had that for years. It is United and American that just added the new basic economy Class. Carry on under the seat and they assign seat. You can still check bags. There will still be regular economy too but I expect knowing the airlines that will cost more then economy used to cost. Gotta love the airlines sticking it to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? If you buy those cheapest seats you can't even check bags in? I guess that they assume that those who buy those seats have nothing but the clothes on their back.

Stan

Looking forward to our first X cruise on Reflection in March and Chic night instead of Formal, though not sure how men's dress varies from Chic to non-Chic.

Previous cruises were all on Princess and a survey they took showed there is still a large group who want Formal. That for me is a dark grey suit. I did try my Tux on but it was made for a much younger guy :o

That's what I've always thought, it sure looks to me like most of the formal stuff you see, might have fit 10 years ago, maybe, both men and women, btw!

"Chic" night to me just means it's the night people should try to look their best. I think it's a very fair compromise because it doesn't force anyone to wear anything specific but at the same time it allows those that like to dress up to go all out.

OMG! IF this is their "best" I can hardly wait to see their worst! :eek:

For those of us that have been cruising for many years probably remember that the dress code used to be for the entire evening not just for the time spent in MDR. When that requirement was relaxed from the entire evening to just the MDR, that was the beginning of the end for formal nights IMO. Why dress (and pack for) just a couple hours in the dining room then rush back to the cabin to change into something more comfortable? I never made this switch except for maybe dumping the tie; I never thought that it was worth the effort to change clothes one more time. Also, the no formal dress code in the speciality restaurants is another clue of what is to come (and a great profit driver for these restaurants today).

IMO, "chic" is just a stepping stone that Celebrity is taking before ending formal nights entirely. Maybe when the new "Edge Class" ships are introduced that will be the opening that Celebrity is waiting for to end formal nights and switch to smart casual every night. We will see, obviously market forces will drive this decision (who else will still have formal nights and are they considered Celebrity's prime competition). It will be interesting how this plays out the next few years.

I really just wanted to express my humble opinion (and I know that no one cares) about what a MAJOR disappointment it is to DH and I that "X" has not "real" formal nights any longer. It has cut our cruising by at least 1/2. It was a BIG part of our joy of cruising. We loved being able to "dress for dinner" along with the entire ship, we loved that 98% of the ship would stay dressed for the evening, their flower shop sold corsages and boutonnieres, and my DH always bought them for us. It made for such a GREAT evening. Sometimes he would wear his black tux, he owns various vests, sometimes he would wear his white dinner jacket, usually when we were in the Southern Caribbean or South American, looked more 'tropical'. But it was really fun. I had a number of dresses and outfits, and loved dressing up. Any of us can dress like bums anytime. I do not understand why people come on a cruise ship and wear some of the worn out "stuff" we see. Some of it is SO dirty and worn out I can't even imagine putting it in my luggage, much less being seen in public in it. And what is with wearing NOTHING but football clothing 24/7. We just off of a cruise and some pax wore football jerseys EVERYDAY, every meal, every occasion! Is that really all that they own? :eek:

You see. When you post things like 'dress like bums' I find that really offensive. And this is an example of people who like formal dressing slagging off at those who don't. But those who don't wish to dress formally are much more polite to those who do and would not say such things. And none of us here are suggesting that wearing dirty or sports clothing is ok so why the extremes? Find the middle ground.

Edited by Pushka

Really? If you buy those cheapest seats you can't even check bags in? I guess that they assume that those who buy those seats have nothing but the clothes on their back.

Yes, you can check (and pay for doing it) suitcases.

The restriction is just what you can carry on (one item) where you can store it (under the seat in front of you).

Another feature is that seat assignments can only be made when you check in at the airport. No guarantee you will be seated with your traveling companion(s) although an effort will be made to seat a parent next to their young child.

I really just wanted to express my humble opinion (and I know that no one cares) about what a MAJOR disappointment it is to DH and I that "X" has not "real" formal nights any longer. It has cut our cruising by at least 1/2. It was a BIG part of our joy of cruising. We loved being able to "dress for dinner" along with the entire ship, we loved that 98% of the ship would stay dressed for the evening, their flower shop sold corsages and boutonnieres, and my DH always bought them for us. It made for such a GREAT evening. Sometimes he would wear his black tux, he owns various vests, sometimes he would wear his white dinner jacket, usually when we were in the Southern Caribbean or South American, looked more 'tropical'. But it was really fun. I had a number of dresses and outfits, and loved dressing up. Any of us can dress like bums anytime. I do not understand why people come on a cruise ship and wear some of the worn out "stuff" we see. Some of it is SO dirty and worn out I can't even imagine putting it in my luggage, much less being seen in public in it. And what is with wearing NOTHING but football clothing 24/7. We just off of a cruise and some pax wore football jerseys EVERYDAY, every meal, every occasion! Is that really all that they own? :eek:

Are you getting confused with Cunard? The requirement to wear Formal wear only applied to those who ate in the MDR and only for the 90 mins they were in the MDR

There was No requirement to wear Formal clothing in Blu, Luminae, Oceanview cafe, any Specality restaurant, bar, or theatre.

There have been examples on these forums of people who don't even dine in the MDR moaning about the dress code in the MDR. How a dress code, that only applies to a restaurant they don't dine in, impacts on their vacation is beyond me.

You see. When you post things like 'dress like bums' I find that really offensive. And this is an example of people who like formal dressing slagging off at those who don't. But those who don't wish to dress formally are much more polite to those who do and would not say such things. And none of us here are suggesting that wearing dirty or sports clothing is ok so why the extremes? Find the middle ground.

I agree, I too find the term "dress like a bum" offensive. DH and I have always dressed smart casual for dining in the evening, and dressier (think dark suit, "fancy" cocktail dress) for the previously formal/now chic evenings, even on NCL where truly anything goes. We never did tux/formal gown. Now DH has let me know he is okay with dress slacks, dress shirt and silk tie but he doesn't want to wear a suit anymore. He does a suit and tie for work every day (IT Exec) and doesn't want to wear his "uniform" on vacation. I am okay with that. I will still wear my nice cocktail dresses, hosiery and dress shoes, every evening. I think we dress much like you see people in cruise ads who are dressed for the evening. And I don't care if the people around us choose jeans and t-shirts, they are doing what makes their vacation enjoyable for themselves. So for the people who like to dress "really" nice, have at it. We choose to dress like smart/casual bums. ;)

Edited by galensgrl
incomplete sentence

Forgot to mention, I do applaud your dedication in working out the precise level of compliance with the dress code at 98%, not a bad achievement when you consider there were probably at least 2500 guests to assess. Also, it's another achievement that you managed to note down what some people were wearing everyday, every meal, every occasion. I struggle to remember what I wore yesterday.

I

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It looks like I'm in a minority but I actually agree with you and don't find the term 'dress like bums' at all offensive. Everyone seems be want to be offended by something nowadays and some people really need to chill out a bit.

I do think celebrity have made a big mistake going down this road of 'chic'. They should keep the formal nights and those that don't want to dress up don't have to, but there should be a standard kept for those that want to eat in the MDR. Over the past few years this standard has been eroded.

I don't want formal every night, but I do expect to see smart/casual in the MDR at all times and if you can't be bothered to look smart, go upstairs to the cafeteria

It looks like I'm in a minority but I actually agree with you and don't find the term 'dress like bums' at all offensive. Everyone seems be want to be offended by something nowadays and some people really need to chill out a bit.

I do think celebrity have made a big mistake going down this road of 'chic'. They should keep the formal nights and those that don't want to dress up don't have to, but there should be a standard kept for those that want to eat in the MDR. Over the past few years this standard has been eroded.

I don't want formal every night, but I do expect to see smart/casual in the MDR at all times and if you can't be bothered to look smart, go upstairs to the cafeteria

As for keeping formal nights, they are gone and that train has left the station. It is not coming back.

You, the OP, and anyone else who love the formal costume parties, most people don't, and didn't take a cruise for the costume parties. If that is your hobby there is a cruise line for that....Cunard. I have been on Cunard and it fits you and the other persons dress desires.

Edited by Charles4515

I'm all for keeping it simple. And having the dress code threads go away. The problem with chic or any other name is that everyone has a different definition of what is "chic."

Chic is what a pretty woman wears. When I turned 70, every lady became a pretty woman. Oh the torture of it.

Cruising standards were for those who had tastes for standards. When standards were no longer vogue for so many, those that still enjoyed them felt it was maybe disrespect. The standards did accompany entertainment such as dining room singing and presentation. Those I miss being an entertainment enjoyer. The folded animals, the carrying of the baked Alaska.

The decorations. The singing waiters. .........

No longer economically practical.

don

As for keeping formal nights, they are gone and that train has left the station. It is not coming back.

You, the OP, and anyone else who love the formal costume parties, most people don't, and didn't take a cruise for the costume parties. If that is your hobby there is a cruise line for that....Cunard. I have been on Cunard and it fits you and the other persons dress desires.

Just like some do not like being called "bums" or "slobs" calling formal nights "costume parties" is just as negative. In my book, formal equates to elegance, not to "costumes"

Just like some do not like being called "bums" or "slobs" calling formal nights "costume parties" is just as negative. In my book' date=' formal equates to elegance, not to "costumes"[/quote']

I didn't call anybody any names.

I don't think though that some peoples fixtation of what other people wear on a cruise is healthy. It is weird. If it is your hobby to dress formal on a cruise ship by all means do so but don't put down what other passengers do.

Edited by Charles4515