FLL tragedy - sailed Conquest NYE 2016

dlhoff0608

I watched the news from the very first "breaking news" segment of the tragedy. The reporters were having a very difficult time getting information from the airport officials and the airlines. The mayor was interviewed, and it seemed that much of the information was tentative until later.

I can't see how it was Carnival's responsibility to inform guests when the information was sketchy until hours after the horrible shootings. By then, guests were notified by watching the news. It wouldn't have been until hours later that Carnival could obtain concrete information about their guests and how they would be impacted by cancelled flights, delays, etc.

The earliest I could find was on FLL's twitter account. At 1:50pm they announced "temporary" suspension of services.

I imagine Carnival and other cruise lines wrangled with the decision of whether an announcement should be made over the main PA system, perhaps the "our mission is fun" minds won out in their internal discussions, not wanting to upset the fun.

I agree though, not just with cruises returning to FLL but also to Miami, since a lot of people cruise from Miami but fly to FLL to save money. Since the cruise lines generally ask what airline/flight passengers will be on, maybe they could have slipped something under the doors about the pending turmoil, with an alert to tune into the news or FLL twitter for developments.

I watch the news each day, but I can't blame people who choose not to watch news while on vacation for being mad if they didn't learn about the FLL closure until disembarking, and Carnival knew they were flying home from there. Goes for other cruise lines too.

That said, if the airline they were flying on didn't alert them, that would be worse.

Not if people don't watch news on the ship. Which is common with a lot of people. If they weren't told about what happened they would disembark to shocking news. Maybe with a little planning they could have made other arrangements to get home, such as renting a car and driving to another airport.

Really, was it that hard to make an announcement? You can bet your sweet bippy that the capatian knew exactly what was going on all the time.

Thank you! Exactly my point. Turning a deaf ear make matters worse. I had a couple ahead of us leaving the boat from Canada with a small child and knew nothing. Had they been informed they could have made contact with family and airlines/hotels earlier but now would be scrambling.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Unless you booked airfare through Carnival, it is really not their responsibility to notify you about anything. First of all, they don't tell people things when they don't even know what is happening. And I'm sure that they don't want to spread the bad news around the ship when people have paid a large sum to be on vacation. People can watch the news on their own if they want to know what is happening. The world is a scary place and sadly, tragedies happen every day. It's unfortunate that it was a mess for those involved, but it is no ones fault.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What would you have them do?

I don't think anyone expected Carnival to have ALL the answers or plan that Friday evening, but it would have been a good move to communicate to guests of unfolding events. This is what occurred this afternoon, we are unsure of impact to our schedule, here is internet access so you can continue to check out your personal situation / make alternative plans. That's not bashing Carnival and I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation. Of course, that is hindsight and seems so simple now.

I don't think anyone expected Carnival to have ALL the answers or plan that Friday evening, but it would have been a good move to communicate to guests of unfolding events. This is what occurred this afternoon, we are unsure of impact to our schedule, here is internet access so you can continue to check out your personal situation / make alternative plans. That's not bashing Carnival and I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation. Of course, that is hindsight and seems so simple now.

It is true we don't have the insight as to what they knew and when they knew it. I doubt if they opened internet that it would work....it is not fast to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless you booked airfare through Carnival, it is really not their responsibility to notify you about anything. First of all, they don't tell people things when they don't even know what is happening. And I'm sure that they don't want to spread the bad news around the ship when people have paid a large sum to be on vacation. People can watch the news on their own if they want to know what is happening. The world is a scary place and sadly, tragedies happen every day. It's unfortunate that it was a mess for those involved, but it is no ones fault.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can appreciate your point of view that this is vacation with a certain experience to maintain, and Carnival did not have ALL the facts at the time, but once they knew of impending delays due to unforeseen local events I really feel they should have communicated to guests they may be impacted. It's just good business.

I watched the news from the moment it was on. There really wasn't any clear understanding of how the airport was going to respond. People were fleeing everywhere for hours. I don't think the cruise lines could even give a clear answer except the airport was closed till further notice.

Would I have wanted to know if I was flying out that day? of course, so I could make other plans.

If I wasn't flying, I think I would like to stay in my vacation bubble.

We were on the Conquest for the NYE cruise and saw the report of the shooting in early afternoon on the last day at sea. I logged on with my iPad and read the minute by minute updates on news websites. Media outlets reported the airport as what it was, a crime scene and they didn't share firm plans for flights resuming until after we got back to the cabin after the evening show.

Carnival is in the people pleasing business, If they'd reported airport closure and speculated a reopening time and a flurry of people change flights all hell would have broke loose. Then the potential exists for a delay and Carnival (and the 5 other ships headed back to the port) are loaded with mad guests having changed and potentially paid for flight changes.

Southwest Airlines website crashed. My family had a flight from FLL at 5:45, and it was well past midnight before we got boarding passes on their app, and that was with Early Bird.

The airport reopened at 5:00 am on Saturday morning. Individual airlines opened at a varied schedule, and only the two flights prior to ours headed to HOU weren't cancelled. The Delta counters looked like a madhouse with an estimated 2000 people lined up outside.

If you aren't reading there is not a solid story Carnival could have told us then I'm out of reason for you. Why would a cruise director or captain fuel mass anxiety about an event that was fluid until well past bedtime for most aboard the Conquest?

Go look at the threads on Cruise Critic about fog here in Galveston. Some posts are borderline mutiny based on the unknowns of traveling from our port in winter. If Carnival had solid news that would benefit their guests they'd tell us. Galveston has an average of ten arrivals and departures impacted by fog. If you read what some of your CC peers post they are calling for the Vista to be pulled from here before it arrives.

Relax. Companies that depend on tourist dollars want you and I to be happy. Get some frozen yogurt, put your feet on the coffee table.

Edited by BallFour4

Are you serious with that lame free pass excuse? Works fine the other 364 days a year.

Hardly I buy it every cruise. If everyone was on it would work less than dial up. There were times on our Pride cruise in afternoons when I got screen timeouts. You can believe it or not but it's a fact.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think the cruise lines could even give a clear answer except the airport was closed till further notice.

Which is all I am saying they should have done (and open up Wifi). I work 5 miles from FLL AND had to fly out of there the Monday morning after. My airline had travel advisories posted and emailed me an updated travel advisory before my flight.

Again, no one expects carnival to have had all the answers when all the answers weren't even available. Lots of unknowns. But they should have communicated the situation and then given access and told people to check for themselves. You don't need internet that will stream Netflix to check email or your flight carriers site just to see if there is further information.

I don't agree with the total head in the sand approach, though I can understand a number of reasons why one would.

Which is all I am saying they should have done (and open up Wifi). I work 5 miles from FLL AND had to fly out of there the Monday morning after. My airline had travel advisories posted and emailed me an updated travel advisory before my flight.

Again, no one expects carnival to have had all the answers when all the answers weren't even available. Lots of unknowns. But they should have communicated the situation and then given access and told people to check for themselves. You don't need internet that will stream Netflix to check email or your flight carriers site just to see if there is further information.

I don't agree with the total head in the sand approach, though I can understand a number of reasons why one would.

Try it and let me know....I experienced it. 3000 people would bring it to its knees....or worse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

Hardly I buy it every cruise. If everyone was on it would work less than dial up. There were times on our Pride cruise in afternoons when I got screen timeouts. You can believe it or not but it's a fact.

Sent from my iPhone

"What would you have liked them to do?" was rhetorical because you believe they made the right decision. So why did you ask it? Are you looking for others opinions, or did you just want to tell others they can't possibly be right and only Carnival is always ever right?

A number of us just think carnival should have communicated that there were events unfolding, not all details known, possible travel impacts, here is WiFi to check for yourselves. Not that they should have started changing flights for people. not that they should have had wall to wall coverage of the events. Not that any of this was in any way carnivals fault. Just that keeping people 100% in the dark was not the best choice.

You do understand that this is your opinion and that others have a different opinion. That is allowed right ?

Obviously Carnival saw the situation differently. They have some pretty well paid people who understand crisis management and no doubt had some input into what is and what is not broadcast through their ships.

I'm shocked they didn't say anything.

They have had the room stewards put letters in your room for much less. They could have easily given out letters saying some variation of "There was a tragedy at FLL. While full details are currently unknown, the airport is closed until further notice. We are giving you one free hour of internet to do some research or try to make other arrangements" or something of that nature.

Anyone arguing otherwise as to why they could not or should not do this...lol.

Obviously Carnival saw the situation differently.

Obviously. Hopefully they learn that the next time there is an emergency that potentially impacts its guests they at least make the guests aware. I'm frankly a little surprised Carnival reacted (or lack of reaction) how they did. usually they are good at communicating with guests.

I agree that it is odd and inconvenient in the wake of a tragic event so close to home. I was on the Carnival Magic when the Costa Concordia sank and the captain made a statement and issued a moment of silence. The crew seemed to go above and beyond to ensure we felt safe aboard, even though we were far from being in any real danger and unlikely to have it effect our travel plans.

Step back and look at Carnival's Point of View.

1. Port Everglades was closed and the Captain was not sure if they would be able to dock there or have to go to Miami. This also would require notifying Harbor Pilots, and PAYING for the dock Fees. They did not know until 10:30 at night that Port Everglades would be open. And they did not know if Customs would be available.

2. They had minimal information on flights. Flights were being resumed at 5:00AM so if a passenger had a flight booked that day they would have no problem, they were booked on a flight. Since there are a number of Airlines flying into and out of FLL, then Airlines would know if the Flights were on and they would also know if the Airlines cancelled flights on their own. But when IRROPS (Irregular Operations) occur, and your flight is cancelled, the airline puts you on the next available flight. They do not bump people from flights that they are already booked on. So Carnival did not have any information on Flights from FLL until 5:00AM when the Captain was steaming into the port. At that point, the Captain and all of the crew is very busy and announcements could be made by the Cruise Director or Hotel Master IF, and that is a big IF, there is time. And it is 5:30AM and many people are still asleep. Would you really want to be woken an hour or so early to be told that if you had a flight booked that day, you should be OK unless the Airline cancels your Flight?

It comes down to What Carnival Knew and more importantly When they Knew it. And could anything be relayed to the Passengers that was not just rumors?

And could anything be relayed to the Passengers that was not just rumors?

Yes. "We are aware of an emergency that took place this afternoon. We do not know if we will have any delays as of now, but if you had flight tickets from FLL please check with your carrier. Here is some internet time provided by us as a convenience"

Direct. Free of rumors. Shows respect and care for guest.

Like I said, I am a bit more surprised that no notification whatsoever was provided. It seems atypical.

Edited by LMaxwell

Yes. "We are aware of an emergency that took place this afternoon. We do not know if we will have any delays as of now, but if you had flight tickets from FLL please check with your carrier. Here is some internet time provided by us as a convenience"

Direct. Free of rumors. Shows respect and care for guest.

Like I said, I am a bit more surprised that no notification whatsoever was provided. It seems atypical.

I am kind of surprised CCL never issued a statement also. I am one of those (probably few, in this day and age) who puts my phone in the cabin safe and doesn't take it out until the morning we arrive back in home port. I would not have known what was happening with my flight until that morning.

Step back and look at Carnival's Point of View.

1. Port Everglades was closed and the Captain was not sure if they would be able to dock there or have to go to Miami. This also would require notifying Harbor Pilots, and PAYING for the dock Fees. They did not know until 10:30 at night that Port Everglades would be open. And they did not know if Customs would be available.

2. They had minimal information on flights. Flights were being resumed at 5:00AM so if a passenger had a flight booked that day they would have no problem, they were booked on a flight. Since there are a number of Airlines flying into and out of FLL, then Airlines would know if the Flights were on and they would also know if the Airlines cancelled flights on their own. But when IRROPS (Irregular Operations) occur, and your flight is cancelled, the airline puts you on the next available flight. They do not bump people from flights that they are already booked on. So Carnival did not have any information on Flights from FLL until 5:00AM when the Captain was steaming into the port. At that point, the Captain and all of the crew is very busy and announcements could be made by the Cruise Director or Hotel Master IF, and that is a big IF, there is time. And it is 5:30AM and many people are still asleep. Would you really want to be woken an hour or so early to be told that if you had a flight booked that day, you should be OK unless the Airline cancels your Flight?

It comes down to What Carnival Knew and more importantly When they Knew it. And could anything be relayed to the Passengers that was not just rumors?

Still no reason to leave their customers in the dark with no information. Turning a blind eye is not the correct answer.