Cancelled Rccl cruise on December 5th 2017 due to charter

• 3 weeks later...

OMG we booked on only a few weeks ago and they have done it AGAIN!!!!

28th September 2017

Explorer of the Seas 5

th December 2017 – 4 Night Queensland Cruise

Dear Explorer of the Seas Guest,

We regret to inform you that the Explorer of the Seas, sailing 5

th December 2017, has been

confirmed as a full ship charter.

We would like to apologise most sincerely for any inconvenience that this change may cause to

your scheduled holiday plans. We will do all possible to assist with any changes necessary due

to this amendment and to ensure that you have all the information for the compensation and

options available to you, which we have outlined below.

We invite you to transfer your reservation to one of the below select sailings, in like

accommodations at the protected or lowest available rate (whichever is lower). Price

protection is limited to the cruise fare only. Taxes, fees, gratuities and other non-cruise fare

items are subject to prevailing rates.

Select Sailings

Voyager of the Seas – 2

nd February 2018 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Explorer of the Seas – 9

th February 2018 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Alternatively, you may transfer your booking to any other Royal Caribbean sailing not listed

above at the prevailing rate.

If you incur a fee due to the change in your airline reservations, you will be reimbursed up to

AU/NZ $200 per person for Domestic flights and AU/NZ $300 per person for International flights.

A PDF document from the airline including the air fees assessed from changing your flight to

match with the new sailing date must be provided via email for reimbursement purposes no later

than 7th November 2017.

In order to qualify for the above, all changes will need to be completed by 6

th October 2017.

Should you choose to cancel your reservation, you will receive a full refund for all amounts paid

and this will be processed via the original method of payment; however, you will not receive any

of the compensation mentioned above, including air change fee reimbursement.

Once again, we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this change may cause you. We look

forward to working with you to minimise the impact to your scheduled travel plans and

welcoming you onboard a future Royal Caribbean voyage.

Sincerely,

Redeployments and Itinerary Changes

Royal Caribbean International

28th September 2017

Explorer of the Seas 5

th December 2017 – 4 Night Queensland Cruise

We regret to inform you that the Explorer of the Seas, sailing 5

th December 2017, has been

confirmed as a full ship charter.

We would like to apologise most sincerely for any inconvenience that this change may cause to

your scheduled holiday plans. We will do all possible to assist with any changes necessary due

to this amendment and to ensure that you have all the information for the compensation and

We invite you to transfer your reservation to one of the below select sailings, in like

accommodations at the protected or lowest available rate (whichever is lower). Price

protection is limited to the cruise fare only. Taxes, fees, gratuities and other non-cruise fare

Select Sailings

Voyager of the Seas – 2

nd February 2018 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Explorer of the Seas – 9

th February 2018 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Alternatively, you may transfer your booking to any other Royal Caribbean sailing not listed

If you incur a fee due to the change in your airline reservations, you will be reimbursed up to

AU/NZ $200 per person for Domestic flights and AU/NZ $300 per person for International flights.

A PDF document from the airline including the air fees assessed from changing your flight to

match with the new sailing date must be provided via email for reimbursement purposes no later

than 7th November 2017.

In order to qualify for the above, all changes will need to be completed by 6

th October 2017.

Should you choose to cancel your reservation, you will receive a full refund for all amounts paid

and this will be processed via the original method of payment; however, you will not receive any

Once again, we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this change may cause you. We look

forward to working with you to minimise the impact to your scheduled travel plans and

Sincerely,

I looked booking this cruise but after reading this thread and asking questions I decided not worth it in case of the above happening. The price I saw was too good to be true. Sorry you got caught up with cancellation.

Can't believe how much they are screwing around with people!! Now what, the charter people, who couldn't fill the ship (so Royal put the remaining on sale) want them back now?? ***?

Certainly looks that way. I have heard that if charters do not fill the ship they still pay plus extra for unsold revenues. That is why some charters in particular a local one discount heavily as it gets closer to departure date. I have been caught that way and will never book a charter unless last minute special.

28th September 2017

Explorer of the Seas 5th December 2017 – 4 Night Queensland Cruise

We regret to inform you that the Explorer of the Seas, sailing 5th December 2017, has been confirmed as a full ship charter.

Select Sailings

Voyager of the Seas – 2nd February 2018 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Explorer of the Seas – 9th February 2018 3 Night Sampler Cruise

than 7th November 2017.

In order to qualify for the above, all changes will need to be completed by 6 th October 2017.

Sincerely,

So sorry to read that your cruise has been cancelled due to a charter.

I don't think it is reasonable to advise you on 28/9 and request a decision on your alternative plans by 6/10, to receive benefits listed! Disappointing RCCL!

So sorry to read that your cruise has been cancelled due to a charter.

I don't think it is reasonable to advise you on 28/9 and request a decision on your alternative plans by 6/10, to receive benefits listed! Disappointing RCCL!

Shorter cruise - same price - no stops - no idea what cabin - two months later is only option when we were doing this as a christmas holiday - no offer on OBC or compensation - nothing - and they KNEW this was a chartered cruise yet made it available on their website just recently as we booked on 6th September - and its a long weekend here so I cant talk to anyone until Tuesday as no-one on their customer service knows anything about it - yet I have to tell them what we want to do by the 6th????

When a customer wants to make a change within 75 days they penalise us - but when they fully cancel on you, NOTHING!

Doesn't matter that you booked your holidays, made arrangements at the port of call, had organised it as an 80th birthday party.

They have lost me as a customer. I am not a newbie whinging cruiser - I am Diamond Level with RC, and have never complained before but this is really poor form and I can no longer recommend them as a cruise company.

What a stuff up.

Yet again an example of them not compensating adequately. While the price of this 4 nighter was substantially discounted so I can understand price wise the 3 nighters are a good equivalent (and there aren't any direct matches anyway), the fact they don't offer OBC at this late stage for their mess is pretty insulting.

Your replacement cabin should be at the same grade, or better than booked. e.g. if you booked an N on the 4 nighter, it would be that, or an M, L, K if not available.

If you do want to contact them, they should be open today though. Monday is the public holiday but today is a normal working day.

Hello. I was wondering if any of you guys that had the 5 dec 2017 Explorer of the Seas sailing cancelled in JANUARY 2017 due to a last minute charter recieved any explaination or proper compensation which I have just discovered on some cruising threads.

The weird thing is that I booked a cruise on the RC site on 8 September 2017 for myself and 3 friends after one of their sales came up advertising Explorer of the Seas, 4 day cruise from Syd to Brisbane and back from 5 to 9 December 2017 for $500 per person. I secured a Junior Suite and and paid for extra drinks package, paid and received confirmation and then booked non returnable flights from Melbourne to Sydney for the 4 of us that cost close to $1000

2 days ago I received an email telling me my cruise had been cancelled due to a last minute charter. I rang and spoke to RC 3 times but 'mistakenly was cut off' each time. The only other cruises they suggested was a choice of two 3 day cruises in the first week of Feb 2018. When I said that those dates were unacceptable because it was the first week of the school year and none of us would be able to do it due to having to get children settled into school, the guy suggested that we take a 3 day cruise on the Majesty of the Seas out of Port Canaveral in the US.!!!!!!!!! but not compensate for flights over there or back at all. Seriously do these people know where Australia is? After I explained it would cost many of thousands of dollars and time we don't have to waste on international travel, he became very rude and talked over me all the time and kept reverting back to the fact they reserve the right to cancel our bookings. He offered the $200 change of booking compensation ONLY if we booked another cruise with them. With Jetstar, they will only allow change of date not destinations and that would come to $180 per person. So if we dont get a cruise out of Sydney we will lose our flight money totally.

I'm trying to be understanding and work something out but there are no comparable cruises that we can take. They are either 3 day ones for the same price at the worst time of the year or 7/8 day ones for more cost to us.

My question to anyone that can help me is this...If RC had cancelled a cruise in Jan 17 due to a private charter (whom they won't say who), how can they advertise and suck people in to booking another cruise on same boat, same date, different destinations and then cancel it and say it was an unavoidable last minute charter. Could this not be perceived as false advertising.

I have travelled RC a number of times now and have been relatively happy. That is why I convinced 3 cruise virgins to come with me on a little tester cruise so they could see how nice it could be. I feel so bad now that all that looks like happening is that they are going to miss out on a holiday AND be a few hundred dollars worse off. All I am asking for is compensation for the flights because we are forced to cancel due to them not being able to provide a comparable product, or provide us with the 4 day cruise at some time in the future up to middle of 2018 but NOT the first weeks of a new school year.

Is that too much to ask?

Hi berrieliv,

So sorry to hear what has happened. I agree that it is totally unreasonable. Would you have some redress under consumer legislation? If RCL cannot supply the product you purchased or one of a similar value, then they should have to compensate you for all your expenses (at least). Even then, that would not be good enough.

Hi berrieliv,

So sorry to hear what has happened. I agree that it is totally unreasonable. Would you have some redress under consumer legislation? If RCL cannot supply the product you purchased or one of a similar value, then they should have to compensate you for all your expenses (at least). Even then, that would not be good enough.

Thanks Aus Traveller. I've just read all this thread properly and looked up my room on the Stars On Board website. It is now available for $7,200 US if any one wants it!!

I can't believe what RC have done. I have already contacted the ABC and The Checkout and will try and get hold of ACCC, Today Tonight and A Current Affair. I don't expect to get anywhere but if enough complaints are lodged, someone one day may listen.

I suggest you contact RCI and work on a personal level with the appropriate person. The cruiselines will always put out the standard refund and compensation for inconvenience and for most people they will take it. However, they will come to the party and pay all the out of pocket expenses if you can prove it on a case by case basis. the worst thing is the hassle and time it will take to do it.

I suggest you contact RCI and work on a personal level with the appropriate person. The cruiselines will always put out the standard refund and compensation for inconvenience and for most people they will take it. However, they will come to the party and pay all the out of pocket expenses if you can prove it on a case by case basis. the worst thing is the hassle and time it will take to do it.

Thanks for the heads up. :confused: I spent 5 hours on the phone to RC on Friday trying to get a resolution and talk to someone with authority and all they would keep saying was "If you choose to cancel..........". WE are not the ones choosing to cancel. We have been kicked off so they can charge an extra 5K for the room. And trying to get 4 busy working women with work and family commitments together that will available at one time is like herding cats. To only give is until the 6th to try and get more leave approved from work and commitments is nearly impossible. I've sent email to RCC so will await reply but I am currently talking to Fair Trade to see where we sit. They are looking into it.

Reading through the above comments and I can agree wholeheartedly. We recently booked a B2B2B on Mariner of the Seas - Singapore/Dubai, Dubai/Barcelona and Barcelona/Miami for April next year. Then RCL decided to cancel the last leg and put the ship into dry dock in Barcelona. First off, we read about it all on our Cruise Critic roll call. So we rang our agent - she claims she knew nothing about the cancellation. RCL offered a reasonable compensation though it hardly compensates for the stress and extra planning work we had to do on a trip that we though was already done. So here we were, dumped in Barcelona - a city we have never been to before. We had already booked flights and non-refundable accommodation from Miami to Australia. We were able to find a cruise that left Barcelona 2 days after we are dumped there but it only goes to New York which arrives too late for us to go to Miami and catch our original flights home. So then we had to find accommodation in Barcelona, book flights from NY to Miami, change flights home, phone booking agent and hotel in Miami and try and change our 3 nights accommodation there to different dates. Many phone calls and broken promises later, we finally have written confirmation that they have changed our accommodation dates.

We are still waiting for part of our compensation from RCL - the up to $AUS500 each for changed airfares (The Americans got $US500 and as most of our changes were in US$ it doesn't seem fair that we only get $AUD500). As we booked our cruises through a Travel Agent (who will not respond to our emails or phone calls) we cannot even phone RCL to discuss this issue.

So we are very frustrated and have spent many hours and many phone calls on this issue. This has been dragging on now for about 6 weeks. We also are frequent Royal customers but we are beginning to re-think our cruising choices.

Thanks for the heads up. :confused: I spent 5 hours on the phone to RC on Friday trying to get a resolution and talk to someone with authority and all they would keep saying was "If you choose to cancel..........". WE are not the ones choosing to cancel. We have been kicked off so they can charge an extra 5K for the room. And trying to get 4 busy working women with work and family commitments together that will available at one time is like herding cats. To only give is until the 6th to try and get more leave approved from work and commitments is nearly impossible. I've sent email to RCC so will await reply but I am currently talking to Fair Trade to see where we sit. They are looking into it.

I wish you luck with it but hopefully your persistence will pay off.

Reading through the above comments and I can agree wholeheartedly. We recently booked a B2B2B on Mariner of the Seas - Singapore/Dubai, Dubai/Barcelona and Barcelona/Miami for April next year. Then RCL decided to cancel the last leg and put the ship into dry dock in Barcelona. First off, we read about it all on our Cruise Critic roll call. So we rang our agent - she claims she knew nothing about the cancellation. RCL offered a reasonable compensation though it hardly compensates for the stress and extra planning work we had to do on a trip that we though was already done. So here we were, dumped in Barcelona - a city we have never been to before. We had already booked flights and non-refundable accommodation from Miami to Australia. We were able to find a cruise that left Barcelona 2 days after we are dumped there but it only goes to New York which arrives too late for us to go to Miami and catch our original flights home. So then we had to find accommodation in Barcelona, book flights from NY to Miami, change flights home, phone booking agent and hotel in Miami and try and change our 3 nights accommodation there to different dates. Many phone calls and broken promises later, we finally have written confirmation that they have changed our accommodation dates.

We are still waiting for part of our compensation from RCL - the up to $AUS500 each for changed airfares (The Americans got $US500 and as most of our changes were in US$ it doesn't seem fair that we only get $AUD500). As we booked our cruises through a Travel Agent (who will not respond to our emails or phone calls) we cannot even phone RCL to discuss this issue.

So we are very frustrated and have spent many hours and many phone calls on this issue. This has been dragging on now for about 6 weeks. We also are frequent Royal customers but we are beginning to re-think our cruising choices.

Terrible customer service by both the Ta and RCI.

Any CL who decide to cancel bookings made because they've got a "better offer" should be penalised heavily for doing so to discourage this practice. That includes any deviations in advance without good cause. (By that I mean catastrophes, political unrest, necessary unscheduled maintenance.)

My Venice cruise next year was cancelled by Silversea because they decided they'd expand the ships size. That sort of thing should be done with proper planning, not at a whim because a cheap slot has become available. The Silver Spirit is out of action and in dry dock for approximately 10 weeks with cruises already fully booked.

We did receive a satisfactory replacement cruise, though believe it or not no official explanation or apology and found out about it through reading it on CC. The booking simply vanished from my account as if it never existed. Luckily I'd not booked my flights or car parking and the hotel was refundable, but the CL did offer to reimburse any out of pocket expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any CL who decide to cancel bookings made because they've got a "better offer" should be penalised heavily for doing so to discourage this practice. That includes any deviations in advance without good cause. (By that I mean catastrophes, political unrest, necessary unscheduled maintenance.)

My Venice cruise next year was cancelled by Silversea because they decided they'd expand the ships size. That sort of thing should be done with proper planning, not at a whim because a cheap slot has become available. The Silver Spirit is out of action and in dry dock for approximately 10 weeks with cruises already fully booked.

We did receive a satisfactory replacement cruise, though believe it or not no official explanation or apology and found out about it through reading it on CC. The booking simply vanished from my account as if it never existed. Luckily I'd not booked my flights or car parking and the hotel was refundable, but the CL did offer to reimburse any out of pocket expenses.

I agree totally. Just because they get s better offer or change their mind about dry docking should not be a good enough reason to cancel a cruise.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Again an example of shoddy communication, customer service and PR. Glad it worked it out.

You poor things. What a debacle! It seems that RC's (and your travel agent's) mantra is "Not much care and even less responsibility." I hope you can get a decent compensation and for all your wasted time, effort and money, and that once you finally embark on your holiday that It exceeds all expectations. You deserve it.