MDR - breakfast

CruiseRQA

Is the MDR open every day for breakfast? If so, or if not, what are the hours when they are open. We are sailing Eurodam Jan 28.

A review of my On Locations shows that it is open every day from 7:30 - 9:00 AM except on early port days when it is open from 7:00 - 8:30 AM.

It is my recollection that on debarkment (disembarkment) day, the MDR breakfast starts especially early to allow the more frugal of us to enjoy one more free and gracious breakfast before we go out into the less hospitable world beyond; a privilege for which I am grateful.

Reading the above post -- sounds like the times have changed.

On all the ships we have been on, including the Eurodam, these were the dining room times:

Port days: 7:30 - 9 AM

Sea days: 8 - 9:30 AM.

This has been my experience as well. The only difference I have seen has been on disembarkation day as the previous poster mentioned.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

Is the MDR open every day for breakfast? If so, or if not, what are the hours when they are open. We are sailing Eurodam Jan 28.

Here is a full week's worth of daily programs from the Eurodam from last month. Dining times are listed for each day.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/0f6a41b2-c8af-461f-bc15-eb94ebd802e0/faad13719bd0ffe54f83f886bd0955b6

I also posted all the menus in a separate thread, and an overly long review under the heading, "Twas the Week Before Christmas."

Edited by POA1

It's open daily, good luck, I found the service to be terrible and slow in the MDR for breakfast most days. I'm not having the Japanese breakfast so anything I needed (crepes, lox, made to order omelette or eggs Benedict) was available in the Lido market.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruisegoer

hello Cruise RQA

Looks like your question has been answered by a few people. We are on this cruise in the sun too. Are you going to the M&G? We love to eat in the MDR in the morning. Much better to be served. They serve you juice and coffee and great choice menu. The only thing is that the menu never changes.

See you on the 28th!

Dean & Lori

I wish HAL did what CCL does on sea days .... CCL has "Sea Day Brunch" which runs from around 8am to around 2pm. The menu has both breakfast and lunch items.

On our Dec Zuiderdam cruise we just didn't seem to be able to be up, dressed and in the MDR by 9am for breakfast :(

Thanks for all the helpful answers.

On our last two HAL cruises were were lucky enough to get an upgrade to a Neptune suite and hense could breakfast in the PG. Doesn't look like that is happening this year.

Breakfast in the MDR will be good I am sure - same menu as the PG.

is there a dress code here for breakfast?

You need to be dressed in street clothes. That is, no bathing suit w/cover-up unless you have street clothes on over it. No pajamas, or bathrobes.

PLEASE! No tank tops, as others have appetites, too! :D

On RCCL we have liked to do MDR breakfast a couple times - especially on late port days like Juneau will be for us (1pm) because it was always a pretty leisurely process. Sometimes really leisurely like a couple hours. :mad: I know, if we want a fast breakfast Lido would be the place and an unhurried breakfast is nice up to a point. In HAL MDR would it be safe to figure not over an hour?

hello Cruise RQA

Looks like your question has been answered by a few people. We are on this cruise in the sun too. Are you going to the M&G? We love to eat in the MDR in the morning. Much better to be served. They serve you juice and coffee and great choice menu. The only thing is that the menu never changes.

See you on the 28th!

Dean & Lori

I have to wonder what could/ should be addedd to that very extensive breakfast menu that you would want for a 'changed menu?. They offer just about any thing imaginable, IMO, HOw would you change it daily? Seems hard for me ro think of any reasonable thing that is not on it.

Edited by sail7seas

In HAL MDR would it be safe to figure not over an hour?

Not in my (admittedly limited) experience.

I rarely eat breakfast in the dining room, as it closes too early. But on the times that I have eaten there I have found it to be painfully slow. Not only does it take a long time before my order is taken, but then it takes a long time to be served. In between, it has been frustrating trying to get more coffee.

That's not even including the time my order was wrong---twice. Took three tries before they got it right. I could have been in and out of the Lido three times in the amount of time that breakfast took.

Hardly a lovely, relaxing meal.

Thanks for all the helpful answers.

On our last two HAL cruises were were lucky enough to get an upgrade to a Neptune suite and hense could breakfast in the PG. Doesn't look like that is happening this year.

Breakfast in the MDR will be good I am sure - same menu as the PG.

We've gotten hooked on room service breakfast rather than go to the dining room or the lido. We enjoyed coffee, juice and the omelettes. We also ordered a continental breakfast from which DH ate the yogurt and I did the fruit plate - we split the pastries

Edited by summersigh

Not in my (admittedly limited) experience.

I rarely eat breakfast in the dining room, as it closes too early. But on the times that I have eaten there I have found it to be painfully slow. Not only does it take a long time before my order is taken, but then it takes a long time to be served. In between, it has been frustrating trying to get more coffee.

That's not even including the time my order was wrong---twice. Took three tries before they got it right. I could have been in and out of the Lido three times in the amount of time that breakfast took.

Hardly a lovely, relaxing meal.

Totally agree with you Ruth in all respects, especially closing too soon & painfully slow! Disappointing for sure.

On RCCL we have liked to do MDR breakfast a couple times - especially on late port days like Juneau will be for us (1pm) because it was always a pretty leisurely process. Sometimes really leisurely like a couple hours. :mad: I know, if we want a fast breakfast Lido would be the place and an unhurried breakfast is nice up to a point. In HAL MDR would it be safe to figure not over an hour?

We do the MDR for breakfast just about every day. Generally an hour is fine.

Once in a while the kitchen is slow. Often we have seen this on ships where the regular hours are 8 - 9:30 am and then they change it to earlier, 7:30 - 9 am. This seems to slow things down. You would almost think the kitchen is on the old, later schedule: things speed up by 8 am.

Once in a while the kitchen is slow.

Since this seems to happen regardless of cruise line I wonder if it is related to the load on the kitchen from room service deliveries. They be be concentrating on getting the orders placed the night before out at their requested times - making MDR 2nd priority.

Edited by Sequim88
my keyboard hates me

Since this seems to happen regardless of cruise line I wonder if it is related to the load on the kitchen from room service deliveries. They be be concentrating on getting the orders placed the night before out at their requested times - making MDR 2nd priority.

Possible, definitely.

We've only noticed the slowness if the MDR opens earlier than normal or if there is a Customs/Immigration thing happening and the crew have to go through it, too.

HAL has a completely separate preparation area for Room Service in the kitchen so Room Service deliveries will have no effect on the rest of MDR breakfast preparation.

Room Service on a Vista-class ship has one person who enters all of the orders into the computer system and only one cook who prepares ALL of the Room Service orders in an area with a grill, sink, prep table, fryer, and a sink. This cook is the most under-appreciated chef on the entire ship and definitely has to be one of the ship's best just to put out so many Room Service breakfasts every morning.

img_0681.jpg

HAL has a completely separate preparation area for Room Service in the kitchen so Room Service deliveries will have no effect on the rest of MDR breakfast preparation.

Room Service on a Vista-class ship has one person who enters all of the orders into the computer system and only one cook who prepares ALL of the Room Service orders in an area with a grill, sink, prep table, fryer, and a sink. This cook is the most under-appreciated chef on the entire ship and definitely has to be one of the ship's best just to put out so many Room Service breakfasts every morning.

For Vista ships yes, but there are other classes of ships in the HAL fleet ;)

Issues some are alluding to are not necessarily on the Vistas ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just off Eurodam and thought I would update this thread about breakfast in the MDR.

We had breakfast everyday in the MDR. The service was excellent every day.

At arrival we asked for a table for 2 and were immediately seated every day. As we were seated we were asked about juice and soon thereafter coffee and soon after that the pastries arrived. The waiter then took our order which arrived hot and timely each day.

The menu selection was extensive and varied - I never repeated in 7 days.

To each his own, but I thought a relaxed breakfast with great service was better than the hectic vibe in the Lido.

Just off Eurodam and thought I would update this thread about breakfast in the MDR.

We had breakfast everyday in the MDR. The service was excellent every day.

At arrival we asked for a table for 2 and were immediately seated every day. As we were seated we were asked about juice and soon thereafter coffee and soon after that the pastries arrived. The waiter then took our order which arrived hot and timely each day.

The menu selection was extensive and varied - I never repeated in 7 days.

To each his own, but I thought a relaxed breakfast with great service was better than the hectic vibe in the Lido.

Glad to see this

Usually cruise Carnival and on the Eurodam in September - we prefer breakfast in the MDR and was wondering how it was on HAL