International Roaming

Just received my latest Telstra Bill. We did a 7 day December cruise up the coast of Queensland from Brisbane. I was aware my mobile had roaming activated but was surprised to see a phone call I received and SMS messages I sent originated in Florida, USA! Cost was only $12 but a timely reminder once in international waters even though you are not technically leaving Australia roaming charges occur.

Yea as OzKiwiJJ said once you lose signal to the Australia cell towers your phone connects to the ships network which is a satellite service. The location of the call is then given to the (either the cruise line or manufacturer of the equipment) new service provider. Which is usually in Miami.

You would of been a fair way offshore for it to lose land signal as I have been unable to see land before I lost my phone signal.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruise ship fan

When out of range to home service supplier, your phone will either show as 'SOS' only or 'Cellular at Sea'. As at times I do need to be contactable, I often leave my phone on and have received an very occasional call, which I elect to take or not. If I don't want to be contacted I switch to airplane mode.

On our first cruise (QLD coastal) we at some point got service from Telstra, and there were several missed calls from our 20 something son, home alone. Fearing something bad at home, I tried to call, but no service. Resorted to the ship phone at something like $US10 per minute to find out he couldn't find the keys that were in the pocket of his sportsbag, just where they had been put :eek:

My phone is a business phone, paid for by my employer, subject to sensible use. There is one rule, 'data roaming' is to be off. This actually applies at all times, not just when I am cruising. Our office manager states that there is no valid reason to ever have data roaming on!

I either buy, or get as perk, some ship internet time, mainly to access emails or use the 'free' Wi-Fi in ports.