A/C Override

Rick32

Does anyone have a tip to override A/C in the stateroom?

What line and ship? What are you trying to override it to do?

On the Carnival Fantasy class you can just adjust the intensity of the airflow as I show around the 4.5 minute mark in this video...

[YOUTUBE]-Ll-V6mNnOc[/YOUTUBE]

Perhaps they want a way to keep the ac running while enjoying the fresh air and sound of the waves with the balcony slider wide open..

Which is also not advisable as there is positive air pressure in the staterooms and with the balcony door open the stateroom door will slam shut when opened along with a rush of air into the stateroom. It was also explained to me that there typically is more than one room interconnected on the a/c system and warm moist air coming in from the balcony will eventually affect other nearby staterooms, as will the overworking of the a/c system in that room.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Were in an inside cabin so balcony isn't an option. Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas we leave in April.

The answer - minus the dialogue about balconies and a/c - remains the same. There is no on/off or override. It is a low fan / pressure a/c system ganged with other staterooms. You can only regulate the temperature. It has never been an issue in our experience to find a comfortable temperature.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The answer - minus the dialogue about balconies and a/c - remains the same. There is no on/off or override. It is a low fan / pressure a/c system ganged with other staterooms. You can only regulate the temperature. It has never been an issue in our experience to find a comfortable temperature.

I have to disagree with your last statement. There have been too many staterooms I have cruised in on which I would have very much liked to have cooker at night. I find them a bit too warm for me. And yes we have them turned all the way to the coolest setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I have no idea what part of the A/C system the OP wants to "override", whether to make it hotter, colder, shut off completely, or run continuously, I will describe how the HVAC system works on ships, and maybe then they can say what they want to do.

The thermostat in the cabin controls a chiller unit for just that cabin. This unit takes air from the cabin, passes it over a cooling coil, and returns the air to the cabin. This unit is sized to recirculate 80% of the cabin's volume each hour. The thermostat controls whether the chilled water that circulates around the ship enters the cooling coil to cool the air or not. Typically, the fan for this cooler runs all the time, to pass the cabin air through a filter, even when not cooling.

As with all good HVAC system designs, and in keeping with health regulations, 20% of the cabin's volume is exhausted each hour via the bathroom vent. This volume of air, 20% of the cabin's volume, is matched by inlet of fresh air from outside. This fresh air is taken in by large fans, passed over large chilled water air cooling coils, and then delivered to groups of cabins within the same fire zone, on the same deck. This air is therefore supplied to typically 20-30 cabins. The temperature of this air is controlled centrally by the HVAC system, and is not controllable from the cabins. These outside air supply fans, and the bathroom fans, run all the time.

Some cabins will have air flow dampers in the air registers, that can be used to decrease the air flow, thereby changing the cabin temperature, but not all cabins have these, more commonly the older ships.

Thanks again chengkp75 for the explanation. To your comment regarding flow dampers, RCI ships do have this or something similar as there is a dial in each room that has a red and blue side scales to allow for relatively cooler or warmer air flow to the individual stateroom.

I hope my lay explanation as I had heard it regarding the impact to the stateroom and surrounding staterooms with balcony doors open was not too far off the mark.

As others have said, general there is no "thermostat" per se in each cabin...it is a simple dial that lets you go warmer or cooler by two or three degrees. There is no indication to show what the temperature actually is. On Allure of the Seas, we found our cabin to be quite warm and mentioned it to our steward - he called maintenance to make an adjustment, but they had to do something inside the ceiling to accomplish that. On the Disney Fantasy there was a setting that was a "temporary Max AC" of sorts - sort of a quick cool setting. But it there was no way to make it stay on.

I've found that a travel clock with a temperature readout resolves all complaints from the DW that the cabin is too hot or too cold. We know the exact temperature and can adjust the dial as required. It takes some time for the effects to be seen.

If she's hot and the cabin is 68 deg, its not because of the HVAC system.

Lately, we've found that we can set the room tstat to it's coldest setting and get the cabin down to 68-70 degrees...at night. In an outside cabin with a balcony, the sun load in the Caribbean makes that more difficult during the day. So keep the drapes and the door closed.

I assume the system is designed for typical normal use and cannot overcome having the balcony door open.

I expect to be able to get down at least to 72 deg at night so if not, there is a problem with the system IMO.

In more complex commercial HVAC systems, the outside fresh air makeup temperature is designed to be neutral. They run it over the cooling coils to wring out the moisture then reheat it back to a neutral temperature.

Edited by cruzincurt

• 3 weeks later...