FUN waiter...

laginog

We will be on the Freedom at the end of March. The Freedom is our favorite ship but....the last few waiters we've had have kinda been "duds". They did an "OK" job with service but were very serious & didn't interact much with the kids. We will be cruising with our 3 granddaughters (ages 12, 10 & 2) and their parents. We really want a goofy, fun waiter that will be good at interacting with the kids....and with their Dad, who is a goofball too. Can anyone recommend a good, fun waiter that we can request? I thought possibly I could request him from Rahul, the concierge.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't believe that part of the waiters jobs are to be goofy and interact with young kids. Their job is to serve you in a timely, considerate and efficient manner.

I would suggest maybe a Disney cruise or Disney world where you can go to character meals for "goofiness and fun".

Suggest you start using your concierge now....why not ask Rahul to recommend? We like a witty/fun waiter as well even though we don't have kids. They certainly do exist and in fact we miss that with the changes away from the MDR concept.

Edited by goodgriefer

I've never seen a waiter who didn't treat children well. However, with staffing cut backs they have more tables to service and thus less time to spend socializing at the expense of other tables waiting for service. I'm sure many of us have experienced waiting impatiently for coffee and dessert while another table is monopolizing the server with long chats.

Wow! Sorry allie3490. That was pretty rude. I didn't mean for them to be acting stupid.....and I was just asking for a recommendation. If you can't help, why even comment on my post?

This will be my 23rd cruise with Royal Caribbean so I have an idea what to expect. There's a big difference in a relaxed "fun" waiter & a serious "stiff" one. We enjoy the fun ones much more----even when we DON'T have kids with us. Thank you to the other people that actually helped.

we have found that the waiters aren't assigned a section until their meeting in the mid-afternoon on boarding day. The concierge may not be able to help though he may personally know one you would like and give you his name. Then you would have to go the Maitre 'D desk to request to be seated in his/her section if there's room.

I know just what you mean, we have had some memorable waiters over the years. My daughter (24) has been with us about 5 times now starting when she was 9 and we have some great memories being in the dining room back when the waiters had time to interact with each guest. Between MTD and the cutback in staff you are lucky to know their name or get a refill on water.

Good luck in finding one and have a great time!

We were on Freedom in July, so I'm guessing our waiter's contract will have expired before you sail. But Alan was WONDERFUL! We had age range of 9-46 and he was very enjoyable to interact with everyone.

I think I heard he moved to one of the "pay for" restaurants, but I don't remember.

When cruising RC our first job has always been to see where our assigned table is and if we had an issue we would then chat to the M'D. We have not frequently had issues but when we have not been happy we would wait patiently in the queue of guests wanting to change times, book as a two seater....The M'D has never let us down.

This is the man who will really know his staff....visit him and request that waiter with that bit extra....We still fondly remember a waiter on RC (many years ago) on a Hong Kong cruise who every night did a 'trick' for our young son. Corks into bottles, napkins that unknotted themselves forks that 'danced'....these waiters do exist although it is a worry that work pressure is making them an endangered species...It would only take seconds for the waiter to do his trick. He would clear our table, do his trick, then he would serve coffee to us and all local tables....as we were at the 'we give up stage' he would return to show us how he had worked his trick...After the first few days other guests (adults) began watching our table as coffee arrived....

Good (and great) service has many aspects and the ability to interact with the young generation is one that should not be discounted. Some of our son's fondest memories of 'formal dining' have been all to do with the waiter and very little with the food!

Thanks Chemmo!! Sounds like you have the same thoughts as we do!! I don't expect them to take extra time with us. Just want to look forward to dining room time!!!

I understand what we are saying. Unfortunately, some on here read the post without understanding it and jump in.

We had Maximo on Serenade a few times and he has fun with all his tables no matter what age. We always ask to get him. Gregory on Indy is a close second.

We looked forward to dinner every night with them serving.

We had Ralitsa from Bulgaria on Freedom in Nov. she's been with RCL for 10 years. She was great with our 2 & 4 y.o. Happy to see them everyday. Always interacted with them. Always jokingly asked the kids if they had eaten enough to get their ice cream and cookie.

Highlights included taking my 2 y.o. daughter to see the piano player in the MDR while we ate dessert and one night on similar walk around she fell asleep in Ralitsa's arms (it had been a long day at the beach!) Ralitsa just held her and said we should keep eating dessert. We saw her on disembarkation day and she gave our 2 y.o. another hug to say goodbye. Great service and fun with the kids all week!

Sent from my iPad using Forums