PH suite on small ships to remove tubs

alexandra cruiser

When Azamara refitted Quest and Journey they opted to keep the tubs in some suites and in the others put in a large shower. It was something along the lines of port side tubs and starboard showers for midship suites and reversed for the aft suites.

maybe O will follow Azamara re.this.Also, I would even pay a little more for a tub, as the only reason I book PH on R ships is for the tub.I hate to change cruiselines,but would if NO tub was avail. Not just for enjoyment ,but in my case for medical reasons(arthritis). Keeps me going with less pain.

Also, I would even pay a little more for a tub, as the only reason I book PH on R ships is for the tub.I hate to change cruiselines,but would if NO tub was avail. Not just for enjoyment ,but in my case for medical reasons(arthritis). Keeps me going with less pain.

You could use the T-pool or the whirlpool for your joints & use the shower for cleanliness ;)

I find it more difficult to get up out of the tub than a shower more so since knee replacement .... but that is me

My husband and I much prefer a shower. On Regatta, in a penthouse, the shower tub combo was just ok. My husband couldn't stand up straight without his head touching the ceiling in the tub. And it was a big step down for me to get out of the tub (dangerous in rough weather).

This is the press release about the renovations:

When the updates are complete, all guests will be welcomed with rich new decor in their suite or stateroom, imbuing their home away from home with a new sense of style, elegance and flair. Specific changes include new bathrooms with a lavish oversized shower and new onyx and granite vanities in the Owner’s and Vista Suites. The Penthouse Suites will be transformed into virtual replicas of those on Marina and Riviera. All staterooms will feature luxurious new fabrics and furnishings.

A walk in shower does seem a better fit than the old tub/shower combination for the majority of passengers, from a safety and accessibility perspective.

Oceania_Regatta_PH2_Cabin_5.JPGDSC_0597-243x496.jpg

As armchair quarterbacks, I think that we all enjoy the idea of a leisurely soak when vacationing...

c42af1b8e91c8e95018ceb9cc2e785d6.jpg

-but for us at least, the reality is rushing back to the cabin for a ten minute shower and a shave because Trivia starts in a half an hour and we promised to save the seats!

Good one! So true.

Edited by Queen of DaNile

for one, take baths am and pm. This would require to much hassle.

Also, little leary of those because I got a skin infection awhile back on WP on Insignia.Also, at my age prefer NOT to parade around in bathing suit.haha.

Think consensus agrees, just make HALF showers only.Then majority of guests would be happy.

Am now looking into other cruiselines for future. Many seem to have tub as option in veranda cabins,but must book EARLY to get one.

Rachel, know what you mean about height a concern in Regatta showers now,my DH is over 6 ft.tall and had to bend down .I m 5,8 and it was just fine.To get out of tub, used handrails and grabbed onto sink.

Am now looking into other cruiselines for future. Many seem to have tub as option in veranda cabins,but must book EARLY to get one.

Have you tried or considered the O class ships Marina & Riviera ?

I believe they still have tubs in the PH if not they do have them in the A to C cabins

Standing in at just over 6'2", the tubs on the R ships might as well be #2 wash tubs my mother used to do clothes in back in the 50s, and that I used as a child to take baths. Not much for my knees sticking in my throat while taking a "bath". Looking forward to a larger, roomier shower in the PH suites personally! Wish they made the exchange on the Nautica before we board in June, but alas they don't!

Have you tried or considered the O class ships Marina & Riviera ?

I believe they still have tubs in the PH if not they do have them in the A to C cabins

and have booked another one on her for next yr. They DO have tubs in veranda suites also. So it saves me money as I don t have to book PH like on small ships for one.

As I previously posted also have one in July on Insignia and when asked if it would STILL have tub then, the O rep onboard said YES>but will check again before final payment.

from my TA, she said she spoke to her O rep and they said had never heard of this. But they re going to check and get back to her.So strange sine the O rep on Regatta said this in lecture just last wk.

Also, never heard back from my email to O re.this.

Really wish some announcement and timetable would be made.

We have sailed on Regatta a number of times as well as Insignia - always in a PH with a tub. I've never felt so insecure as in high seas trying to get in and out of that darned tub! And I'm very able bodied! My husband struggled with it unless we were in port.

The huge walk-in shower on Sirena was heavenly and was the best overall bathroom we've enjoyed on all the Oceania ships, including Riviera and Marina. When on Marina we use the small shower stall and ignore the tub entirely.

There is on way to make everyone happy but I do think they will eventually move all the "R" ships to the newer Sirena model.

Newbie60,

Another contradictory opinion! (Of which we have many here on many topics.)

I confess to being a fan of the tub. That being said, I've used the tub/shower combo on the "R" ships in rough seas many times and never felt as insecure as I did in the huge shower in the VS on Sirena in October when we were bypassing the remnants of a hurricane on the way to Bermuda. I thought they should have had many more hand-holds in the shower for rough seas like that.

I also have arthritic knees but didn't have difficulty getting in and out of the tub (regardless of the weather).

I'm with those who would prefer that not all bathroom configurations be changed ... at the same time as I can see that could be difficult for the cruise line.

Mura

and seem to have had no problem. They can just designate starboard or port,etc. or any other way to do it that would be cost effective and pleasing for those of us that LIKE the tub option.

Sadly, as I ve stated above, that s the only way I ll cruise on the small O ships.Know I m a small statistic and may be ignored, do cruise twice a yr.and get PH on R ships now.Can still go on Marina,etc.BUt have been looking at other companies that offer tubs now.

of this. Re.keeping a few tubs,,think its fine. Regent and Silversea have a few rooms with tubs,have booked theseWAY in advance since so limited.

Just feel a choice is the best way,some will have it or chose NOT to.

The only Regent suites that do not have bathtubs in on the new ship, the Explorer and some suites on the Mariner. It was determined that the bathtubs on the Mariner were so unsafe to get into and out of that, due to passenger request, they turned some suites into shower only (and they are the first to sell out). The Explorer does not have bathtubs in lower suites or in PH suites (the PH suites was a surprise to many). However, the showers in these suites are very large.

In terms of Oceania's smaller ships, the bathrooms are extremely tiny (enough to put us off sailing on the smaller ships). IMO, if putting in showers gives more room, I'm all for it. After all, we all have bathtubs at home!

and glad to hear they have tubs in SOME of the ships still.

Agree, I DO have a bathtub at home and also want one for 2 wks.on a ship.

Not sure why there s a problem with leaving some(half)for those that want them.Just have a problem with removing ALL of them.

It does NOT have to be all or nothing. Want everyone to be happy on their cruise.

PS. its been a week and STILL have had no response to my email to O guest relations.

Not sure why there s a problem with leaving some(half)for those that want them.Just have a problem with removing ALL of them.

It does NOT have to be all or nothing. Want everyone to be happy on their cruise.

I'm not sure if you are sincerely asking this question, or if you are simply venting your frustration, however:

The conventional wisdom in Hospitality Science circa 2017, is that it is more desirable for all cabins within a given category to be identical than it is to offer a wider array of facilities.

When all of the cabins are the same, the staff can be expected to service them in identical lengths of time, cleaning tools and products are uniform across the board, the customer service people in Miami have fewer specifics to learn, and most important of all, Passengers develop fewer hard feelings, because identical is universally "fair".

when I booked on this cruise line i booked for tub now the Princess ship they brought has no tubs in a PH. never gone a week much less a month without a nice bath. not happy at all.

Azamara left cabin with tubs and others with showers. .the real problem with them they changed out the sofa for a tiny chair for one.

really don t know how some cruiselines can keep SOME tubs,but O feels they can t. Realize it may take some changes for staff, but how difficult can it be.That way all passengers feel they have been served, not just some.

I realize it s no problem for many, but on the other hand,it can be a dealbreaker in choosing ships.

Not trying to be a trouble maker ,just stating my feelings and preferences.Seems other DO FEEL the same.Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Not trying to be a trouble maker ,just stating my feelings and preferences.Seems other DO FEEL the same.Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

LOL, you're not going to believe this, but the very first time that I took part in this type of discussion, the subject was hot and cold running salt water. :eek:

My grandparents insisted that a daily salt water bath was "just barely keeping their lumbago at bay" and were outraged when Cunard did away with their old system of fresh AND salt water taps in the tubs on QE2.

That was in 1972, so it has taken forty five years for the other shoe to drop, but time marches on! ;)

Edited by JimandStan

Just got an answer to my email question to Oceania special services. Told me all PH room s DO have a tub. Not what I asked, and have emailed them again for them to PLEASE answer the question.

How hard can it be to respond in prompt manner to a very specific question?

Must say I m getting a little frustrated.

It's not just Oceania. Most of the time when I write to a Customer Service Department with a question, they don't answer it. They do send an answer ... just NOT to the question that was asked.

Maybe people just don't read anymore.

Mura

I haven't seen, realizing I may have missed it, where Oceania has actually announced this action. Perhaps the answer from Customer Relations is the only answer they know, at this time.

This reminds me of where some here announced that all the R ships would be converted over to the new restaurant configuration. Well, that was well over a year ago, that rumor went viral and none have been converted yet! A couple of months ago, I was told that decision has not been made as to which, if any, will actually be converted now! We'll know when they come out of dry dock converted.

If one looks at all the cruises out through 2018, along with the deck plans for the ships, I haven't seen any showing the new conversion with the tubs gone. They typically will put up a pre and a post date for most major work done on the ship. Therefore, I probably won't sweat all this a lot until maybe 2019 cruises, at the earliest. You can do a lot of enjoyable cruising, with your tub, before then!