Why the iced tea drama?

cruizergal70

the mix they use is bad. I drink unsweet tea by default and theirs just tastes awful.

I used to drink sweet tea though and I feel for the folks who are used to southern sweet tea which is quite a different thing than simply putting sugar in a cold glass of unsweet tea. On top of it never really getting sweet enough, there's the whole "what the heck did they make this out of?" problem. My wife is a southern sweet tea drinker and she couldn't ever get it to taste good.

Fortunately, the beer flavored water is fine. And regular water is pretty OK too.

True sweet tea has sugar added while it's still boiling hot. Adding sweeteners to it after it has cooled is 110% not the same thing. All the restaurants here have both sweet and unsweet tea. Trust me where I come from if they tell you to add sweetener to your tea if you ask for sweet tea those are fighting words

The iced tea on Carnival ships is unsweetened. Why don't people seem to understand that? Fast food restaurants usually serve their iced tea unsweetened also. Why is this a big deal on the ship? Just add sweetener to your taste.

Some people can't adjust. It's no different than those that complain about not being able to get their brand of pop/soda, water, energy drink, etc.

And just can't live without their favorite brands.

Much easier to complain than adjust.

Some people can't adjust. It's no different than those that complain about not being able to get their brand of pop/soda, water, energy drink, etc.

And just can't live without their favorite brands.

Much easier to complain than adjust.

I'll never adjust to bad product. Especially when it's so easy to make good product.

Although I never personally actively complain about their tea unless specifically asked. I just don't drink it. Which I imagine is fine with them.

the mix they use is bad. I drink unsweet tea by default and theirs just tastes awful.

I used to drink sweet tea though and I feel for the folks who are used to southern sweet tea which is quite a different thing than simply putting sugar in a cold glass of unsweet tea. On top of it never really getting sweet enough, there's the whole "what the heck did they make this out of?" problem. My wife is a southern sweet tea drinker and she couldn't ever get it to taste good.

Fortunately, the beer flavored water is fine. And regular water is pretty OK too.

Exactly!

Whatever the mix is that they use is awful. I'm a diehard sweet tea drinker, but will drink unsweetened tea when I have to. However, Carnival's is the worst I've ever had. And I hate artificial sweeteners, so my only recourse is to mix tea and lemonade (which is fairly good) or drink water.

How to make iced tea from scratch onboard--

Steep two tea bags in a mug of water. When dark pour over a full cup of ice.

For sweet tea- dissolve sweetener of choice in a bit of hot water. Then add more hot water and steep two tea bags till dark. Pour over a full cup of ice.

Carnival has regular Lipton and decaf Green Tea available.

Carnival's dispensed iced tea is better than Princess's

Edited by SadieN

Exactly!

Whatever the mix is that they use is awful. I'm a diehard sweet tea drinker, but will drink unsweetened tea when I have to. However, Carnival's is the worst I've ever had. And I hate artificial sweeteners, so my only recourse is to mix tea and lemonade (which is fairly good) or drink water.

I meant to try that last time - I saw people saying you could get a decent drink by mixing the two. Putting that in my memory bank for next time.

With Carnival cruises we bring our slim and compact 2 quart rubbermaid pitcher and use tea bags to make our own tea to serve over ice. We use the water at the beverage station filling our pitcher by only using the clean cups provided. It steeps in a couple of hours. This is much fresher and cleaner tasting than the tea made from a liquid concentrate dispensed at the beverage stations provided by Carnival. We don't drink sweet tea so that's a non-starter for us.

FWIW, there's no drama with us, we find our own easy solution which is known as taking personal responsibility by some.

41VDgXFSfSL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman

How to make iced tea from scratch onboard--

Steep two tea bags in a mug of water. When dark pour over a full cup of ice.

For sweet tea- dissolve sweetener of choice in a bit of hot water. Then add more hot water and steep two tea bags till dark. Pour over a full cup of ice.

Carnival has regular Lipton and decaf Green Tea available.

Carnival's dispensed iced tea is better than Princess's

Take a one gallon bucket with you on the ship so you can make one very large batch.

The iced tea on Carnival ships is unsweetened. Why don't people seem to understand that? Fast food restaurants usually serve their iced tea unsweetened also. Why is this a big deal on the ship? Just add sweetener to your taste.

You obviously don't live in the South.

True sweet tea has sugar added while it's still boiling hot. Adding sweeteners to it after it has cooled is 110% not the same thing. All the restaurants here have both sweet and unsweet tea. Trust me where I come from if they tell you to add sweetener to your tea if you ask for sweet tea those are fighting words

THIS ^^^^ #agreed!

Carry a couple of Mio's with you. They're little, found where you'd find Kool Aid.

The lemonade favor squirted into water or iced tea makes them palatable.

I wonder if you asked for an Arnold Palmer they'd make it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed. When I was on elation the tea was your classic dinner type unsweetened tea. Not great but better than water and I don't like soda so I drank it and added sugar, yes it sank to bottom of cup but it helped some.

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Forums mobile app

The iced tea they used on the ship is a syrup mix like sodas. Its very distinctive.

To me, its passable at best. However, I do not like sweetened tea. Apparently, sweetened tea is the only thing served in restaurants in Canada. It kills me.

Haven't you a favorite beverage you would like to not have to go without while on a week's cruise you paid good money for?

Oh my...I have to forego Stewarts lime soda, clamato juice, concord grape juice, limeade, ginger ale, cherry 7up. Sure, some of them may be purchased at bar prices but they don't come with my cruise fare. A cruise isn't a grocery store, or a southern fast food restaurant, or a favorite coffee/tea shop.

Try traveling to Europe and getting your local favorites...not going to happen.

I like sweet tea on occasion, but don't care for unsweetened iced tea at all.

But, I don't miss it while on a cruise. It's not a difficult drink to make, though. And it seems like Carnival could make an awful lot of people happy by providing sweet tea in some form or fashion on its ships - at least on the cruises that depart from southern ports such as New Orleans or Galveston.

Everyone pretty much knows that mixing sugar in cool water doesn't dissolve, it just settles to the bottom of the glass. So there really is no point in attempting to make sweet tea, if the drink is already cool. Sugar dissolves in hot water, not cold water.

Though personally I don't like tea, especially unsweet tea, and I don't care to get just a hunk of sugar at the bottom of my glass.

Are people really unable to live without iced tea for a week?

You would think so. I'm from Texas, where they take their tea very seriously. It hasn't yet, and probably never will, kill me to drink Carnival tea for a few days.