Canadian credit card.

VTX-AL

Yesterday I attempted to purchase several items through the Canadian access Princess web site (OBC, UBD, etc) for an upcoming cruise, and at the payment point in the online transaction my perfectly good Mastercard was repeatedly "denied". I eventually arranged the purchases through our booking travel agent (using the same card !) Anyone else had this experience :confused:

...VTX-Al

Might not be able to purchase because you booked thru travel agent.

I actually expect that this might indeed be the case, but it seems to me that the only possible reason for that policy is so that the TA gets a commission on all other sales in addition to the initial booking.

...VTX-Al

Edited by VTX-AL

Yesterday I attempted to purchase several items through the Canadian access Princess web site (OBC, UBD, etc) for an upcoming cruise, and at the payment point in the online transaction my perfectly good Mastercard was repeatedly "denied". I eventually arranged the purchases through our booking travel agent (using the same card !) Anyone else had this experience :confused:

...VTX-Al

Yes, this has happened a number of times. Called one of their agents and everything is OK. At one time one of their agents gave me some explanation, but I can't remember what it was and the problem remains.

Might not be able to purchase because you booked thru travel agent.

I booked my cruise through a travel agent and paid for in CDN $. And I have made purchases with my Canadian credit card. As a matter of fact all prices under the Cruise Personalizer are in CDN $. Maybe you booked your cruise with US $?

Edited by diverward

Just out of curiosity are you sure it was princess' issue? I only ask because I had trouble using my Canadian mastercard on multiple sites (sites that I have used it on before many times) yesterday morning. I kept getting notified that they could not put the payment through. My Visa worked fine and the Mastercard started working again later in the day.

I haven't heard anything but I wonder if there were technical issues with Mastercard Canada yesterday that were cleared up by the time you contacted your TA.

...VTX-Al

I've experienced the same problem. I was trying to purchase OBC before the increase back in October and my cc was denied. I knew it wasn't possible as my card balance was zero and has 3 yrs left before expiry. I just ended up contacting my TA and she put it through. It was just one of those transactions that I should have been able to do without having the TA involved. My cruise is also booked in CDN $.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked my cruise through a travel agent and paid for in CDN $. And I have made purchases with my Canadian credit card. As a matter of fact all prices under the Cruise Personalizer are in CDN $. Maybe you booked your cruise with US $?

Nope - CAD

Just out of curiosity are you sure it was princess' issue? I only ask because I had trouble using my Canadian mastercard on multiple sites (sites that I have used it on before many times) yesterday morning. I kept getting notified that they could not put the payment through. My Visa worked fine and the Mastercard started working again later in the day.

I phoned Princess directly and the rep could not solve the issue - she only wanted me to book the items with her over the phone, which would have cost me a considerable sum in the exchange rate variable.

I haven't heard anything but I wonder if there were technical issues with Mastercard Canada yesterday that were cleared up by the time you contacted your TA.

As I said previously - spoke with Mastercard direct and was assured that there was no problem with my card. They had no record of any "declined" transactions being attempted.

Thanks all for your responses and suggestions.

...VTX-Al

Nope - CAD

As I said previously - spoke with Mastercard direct and was assured that there was no problem with my card. They had no record of any "declined" transactions being attempted.

Thanks all for your responses and suggestions.

...VTX-Al

It seems to be a problem of the Princess web site rather than the credit card. I have had "cannot complete transaction" on a card with zero balance and a purchase that is about 1% of available limit. This is only with Princess, never had anything like it anywhere else. I once reported this on their website feedback, but I expect that goes straight to trash. Strangely I have never had a problem with making a deposit on a cruise through the website, but am unable to make final payment or do any pre-purchase.

I had the same problem using my Canadian visa card to both prepay gratuities and buy obc. Could not get it to work. Visa did not see any declined transactions. Used my Amex no problem. I did call princess to prepay the gratuities on my visa and they were able to make it work.

A follow-up -- tried again a couple of days later with exactly the same result, m/c always shows as "declined". So, used our Visa and Boom! immediate success. Bit of a bummer though since our major loyalty program is with mastercard.

...VTX-Al

A follow-up -- tried again a couple of days later with exactly the same result, m/c always shows as "declined". So, used our Visa and Boom! immediate success. Bit of a bummer though since our major loyalty program is with mastercard.

...VTX-Al

That's strange, my bad Princess experiences have been with Visa. I don't even bother trying to pre-purchase anymore. I wish Princess wouldn't bother sending me promotions for products they won't let me buy.

I've been having this problem as well. MasterCard, No Balance, Numbers & Billing info entered correctly, Lending Co has no record of declined transactions... I booked directly through Princess.

I paid for the cruise with this CC and pre-paid gratuities. This just started happening after final payment...

I guess Princess won't be getting more of my money ;)

Deb

I've been having this problem as well. MasterCard, No Balance, Numbers & Billing info entered correctly, Lending Co has no record of declined transactions... I booked directly through Princess.

I paid for the cruise with this CC and pre-paid gratuities. This just started happening after final payment...

I guess Princess won't be getting more of my money ;)

Deb

If you call them they can process it. It's some kind of weird coding on their site - the last time I called, he had to do my prepaid gratuities individually. For us Canadians, its likely worth the extra hassle to preserve the better exchange rate (same as when you booked)