Update of Diamond & Diamond + Perks???

Papa T

Yes, though you could squeeze out 5 by using the second coupon to buy the last 3 days of the cruise package.

Having only 4 days of internet on a 14 day cruise is not good news after having 480 anytime minutes on X.

I can attest to the existence of the upgrade fairy. We sailed Quantum in March 2015 and had 4 booked in a cabin (us and our two teen boys.) We received a surprise call about 6 months prior, asking us if we wanted to switch to two adjoining cabins; they moved our two boys into one, and put us in another. The travel agent said that there was a big demand for the 4 person cabins, and since our kids were teenagers they were offering us a second cabin at no additional cost. Same cabin type, I think better category but don't remember, one deck up. Cabin steward opened the divider so we got the double size balcony and could spread out. I don't think I could ever cruise with four of us in a cabin again. LOL

So yes, it's possible. We're only lowly little Platinum members, not special or anything like the Diamond (and above) folks. We've been cruising since our honeymoon in 1992, on the brand new Majesty of the Seas. Cruised Disney, RCCL, NCL, and Carnival. Always come back to RCCL. Disney was by far the best cruise we have ever been on, way back before they even offered seven day cruises. I've watched a lot of changes happen over the last (almost) 25 years and am not always loving how it's going. But cruising is still our vacation of choice.

We were on Summit in July and I can say, I disagree that they'll be disappointed. DH and I still can't figure out why some think so. We've met plenty of others who feel like we do. We were not impressed with X. There's really no difference between X and RCI.

My experiences have been the opposite esp. lately!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think this comment is interesting. We will sail X next month. I look forward to the ship/itinerary and the Go Best promo. [Can you say Mardi Gras!!!] However, it does not seem the Elite perks are as good as the Diamond perks. [while we are D+ on RCL we move to Elite on X--I feel that is fair]

The happy hour is not as long or as often, no free pictures, and the free internet is 45 minutes vs 24 hours. I know the 45 is not continuous and you can spread it out over the cruise. But, 45 minuted does not spread very far. :rolleyes: DH is D+ also, so we are able to use our internet over 4 days 2-24 hour periods. On X we will have 1.5 hours between us. [yes, we know as D+ we get 2 days each , but I am not comparing that since it does not align with the reciprocity] I will save 20-30 minutes for the last day to check in online with the airline and email DD who will pick us up at the airport.

We have never had an upgrade. I have heard the upgrade fairy exists--but, I think that is an urban legend. :eek:

Oh wow! I thought the equivalent perks on celebrity were superior many years before I was diamond! I too still sail both for many reasons, but am so looking forward to my x cruise in may!

Did u look into getting free internet through a travel agent perk? Also, people usually get more internet than 45 minutes with elite so I am confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by clc6p

So you would trade 72 hours for 8?

Depending on your usage 480 minutes to be used anytime is absolutely better than 4 days of unlimited use. With the minutes that would allow someone just over 30 minutes a day to check e mail every day on a 14 day cruise. Using the 4 free days that same person would still need to buy 10 days worth of internet if they wanted to be able to check e mail daily.

I agree that there are more similarities than differences. But, for many, X is a first foray to the upper outskirts of the mass market lines. For the significant differences in service and quality (particularly in food, cabin amenities, lack of nickel/dining, etc), one would have to trade up to the premium lines (e.g., Oceania and Azamara). And the real pleasant surprise comes when folks do a bottom line "net daily rate" (not just cabin price) comparison between X and Oceania where the value of included airfare/air credit plus other perks may often erase the price difference between X and O.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were told by one couple prior to the cruise that we had to cruise on X because it was "so upscale" in comparison. Nope, not at all. Service and quality were no better than any of the other cruises we've ever taken (21). The "freebies" aren't really free and never are on any line. The one thing we liked and the reason we booked was the 7 day itinerary to Bermuda. We actually met two couples onboard who later cruised with us on GR in Oct and we all agreed. We don't get where some say X is so superior. X also has more limited departure ports. If they came back to Baltimore, we might cruise them again, but if we're going to NJ, we're going to go on Anthem, not Summit. And, FLL just has too many other options.

Anyway, this is just our opinion and we feel the recommendation by DH's coworker was overblown.

As for internet costs, Carnival by far has the best and least expensive internet ever. It's the only time we've ever bought a full package. We paid like $50 for 8 nights for 2(either 2 or 3) devices. We do use our 48 hours on RCI in a very specific way. We spread it out. For example, our upcoming cruise on GR is a southeast coast, so one sea day, then Charleston, Miami, PC, CocoCay and Nassau , then two sea days. No need to use the minutes in Charleston, Miami, or PC, so if we skip the first sea day, we can use our phones in the three US ports and use our free minutes the last 4 days. Usually what we do is spread it out so we have internet access every 2 days or so. Our last trip on GR was 12 nights.

Edited by BND

So you would trade 72 hours for 8?

Actually, if the 24 hours are by the clock and not days it would be a good deal. If I can run the 24 hours say noon to noon in effect I have the use over two days. If the days are midnight to midnight then they are less useful. I guess I'm asking for clarification. I don't need more than the 480 minutes if I can have daily access. Please clarify! :confused:

Actually, if the 24 hours are by the clock and not days it would be a good deal. If I can run the 24 hours say noon to noon in effect I have the use over two days. If the days are midnight to midnight then they are less useful. I guess I'm asking for clarification. I don't need more than the 480 minutes if I can have daily access. Please clarify! :confused:

Each day of free internet is one consecutive 24 hour period. 9am to 9am or 4pm to 4pm. It is 24 hours from the time you activate it.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We were told by one couple prior to the cruise that we had to cruise on X because it was "so upscale" in comparison. Nope, not at all. Service and quality were no better than any of the other cruises we've ever taken (21). The "freebies" aren't really free and never are on any line. The one thing we liked and the reason we booked was the 7 day itinerary to Bermuda. We actually met two couples onboard who later cruised with us on GR in Oct and we all agreed. We don't get where some say X is so superior. X also has more limited departure ports. If they came back to Baltimore, we might cruise them again, but if we're going to NJ, we're going to go on Anthem, not Summit. And, FLL just has too many other options.

Anyway, this is just our opinion and we feel the recommendation by DH's coworker was overblown.

As for internet costs, Carnival by far has the best and least expensive internet ever. It's the only time we've ever bought a full package. We paid like $50 for 8 nights for 2(either 2 or 3) devices. We do use our 48 hours on RCI in a very specific way. We spread it out. For example, our upcoming cruise on GR is a southeast coast, so one sea day, then Charleston, Miami, PC, CocoCay and Nassau , then two sea days. No need to use the minutes in Charleston, Miami, or PC, so if we skip the first sea day, we can use our phones in the three US ports and use our free minutes the last 4 days. Usually what we do is spread it out so we have internet access every 2 days or so. Our last trip on GR was 12 nights.

Earlier this month I was on Summit when we shared a pier with Anthem in the Caribbean. Whatever other differences between the two ships there was a clear difference in the average age of cruisers and the number of children. X appeals to folks who do not care about rock climbing walls or skating rinks, etc. which is usually a more mature group. So . . . there can be a different atmosphere on board. I have been on RCI cruises during the summer when the number of unsupervised children was pretty high. I'm boarding Eclipse this week for 14 days of fun in the Caribbean with almost all adults. But . . . I taking my two granddaughters (9 & 12) on Harmony in June. I realize the Radiance Class is usually a more mature group, but most of RCI's new ships are youth activity friendly.

Each day of free internet is one consecutive 24 hour period. 9am to 9am or 4pm to 4pm. It is 24 hours from the time you activate it.

Thanks . . . so on a 14 day cruise I can spread out the days that I do not have free access.

I just looked at VOOM prices for our cruise (too late to book online) and the rate was $11.99 a day (24 hours). Is 11.99 a big perk to you??

When you use a diamond plus perk you can't book on line. In december on 6 day BTB used perk the next morning and it ran to final night. No cost involved.

Earlier this month I was on Summit when we shared a pier with Anthem in the Caribbean. Whatever other differences between the two ships there was a clear difference in the average age of cruisers and the number of children. X appeals to folks who do not care about rock climbing walls or skating rinks, etc. which is usually a more mature group. So . . . there can be a different atmosphere on board. I have been on RCI cruises during the summer when the number of unsupervised children was pretty high. I'm boarding Eclipse this week for 14 days of fun in the Caribbean with almost all adults. But . . . I taking my two granddaughters (9 & 12) on Harmony in June. I realize the Radiance Class is usually a more mature group, but most of RCI's new ships are youth activity friendly.

DH and I are empty nesters (56 and 59) and usually cruise when there are less children. Our July cruise on Summit was for our 35th anniversary and there weren't a ton of children, but that's been our experience on RCI to Bermuda in July also. Our last GR cruise on Oct 31 (12 nights) had less than 20 kids onboard. Our X Bermuda cruise was very similar demographic wise as our RCI Bermuda cruises (all last week of July). We do our best to not cruise when there are lots of kids. Our upcoming April cruise may be a different story as it's around spring break and only 9 days. Our last spring break cruise on EN a few years ago was 10 days and was during college spring breaks not younger so we didn't have that many kids either. The age of cruisers also has to do with time of year. Nov cruises that we've been on all seem to have a older average age. We do not cruise for perks but it's nice to have some of them.

Edited by BND

Troy, suggest you check thread title. This has nothing to do with suites. You seem to get confused quite often on this. Hope that helps.

I don't agree with him often but I'll cut him some slack here. He was responding to a poster who steered the thread there. I was surprised it took him so long to jump in. Given the prices of suites on Royal these days, I don't know how anyone can complain that they come with more perks than D+. Just my humble opinion.

This is pretty much how we feel about X. I call it a slightly more upscale atmosphere but I think that comes from the passengers more than anything X does better than Royal. We did notice that X officers were more likely to stop for an unprovoked chat about your cruise than any other line we've sailed.

I don't agree with him often but I'll cut him some slack here. He was responding to a poster who steered the thread there. I was surprised it took him so long to jump in. Given the prices of suites on Royal these days, I don't know how anyone can complain that they come with more perks than D+. Just my humble opinion.

If he wants to discuss benefits related to points earned he is as welcome as anyone else.

If he wants to discuss suite perks and benefits he'd gain more traction starting a thread on that topic. Those interested in that would have an easier time finding it. But the reality is we have the same old schtick of pulling the pin on the grade in a loyalty points thread and railroading the discussion into a suites vs loyalty points discussion. I see them as mutually exclusive. While there may be overlap, it really is two different topics.

It's good when other seasoned cruisers share their up to date information regarding loyalty point benefits for the rest of us to stay informed.

If he wants to discuss benefits related to points earned he is as welcome as anyone else.

If he wants to discuss suite perks and benefits he'd gain more traction starting a thread on that topic. Those interested in that would have an easier time finding it. But the reality is we have the same old schtick of pulling the pin on the grade in a loyalty points thread and railroading the discussion into a suites vs loyalty points discussion. I see them as mutually exclusive. While there may be overlap, it really is two different topics.

It's good when other seasoned cruisers share their up to date information regarding loyalty point benefits for the rest of us to stay informed.

Sheesh! Sorry to ruffle your feathers again but how is what he did any different from what you're doing now.

Sheesh! Sorry to ruffle your feathers again but how is what he did any different from what you're doing now.

I'm here to discuss and learn about updates on loyalty benefits and calling Troy out for trying to railroad the thread.

I have no clue why you are attacking me or why you are so offended. Here's an idea, block me.

I'm here to discuss and learn about updates on loyalty benefits and calling Troy out for trying to railroad the thread.

I have no clue why you are attacking me or why you are so offended. Here's an idea, block me.

Wasn't 'offended' in the least. Maybe you should apply to be a moderator. :eek::D;)

Wasn't 'offended' in the least. Maybe you should apply to be a moderator. :eek::D;)

I'm only Diamond and don't stay in suites. Don't think I'd make the cutoff.

The reality for me though is, and probably for many others, we want up to date information on what is or is not being offered at any given time. I want to maximize the benefits that apply to me currently.

No Concierge Lounge on Harmony and Liberty, so Diamond Plus have only the Diamond Lounge on those ships and other Oasis class ships. Diamond and above get 3 drink vouchers per evening, to be used at any bar, during the time that the DL is open for drinks, for the same type of drinks served in the DL. This is in addition to the unlimited drinks in the DL during the cocktail period.

No concierge lounge at all on harmony and liberty. Or just not available to diamond plus?