Oceanview Balcony vs Jr Suite

riekl

So I'm really torn here .. I have the option of an Oceanview Balcony for $3500 (for 2) or a JS a week later for 4500.

I know the JR Suite doesn't get most of the suite benefits, although access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner is nice. Any other thoughts/opinions on the Jr Suite ?

So I'm really torn here .. I have the option of an Oceanview Balcony for $3500 (for 2) or a JS a week later for 4500.

I know the JR Suite doesn't get most of the suite benefits, although access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner is nice. Any other thoughts/opinions on the Jr Suite ?

JS has lots more room and much nicer bathroom and walk in closet , also priority boarding. But that's a lot of money .

The $1K jump in cost would not be worth it to us.

A JS is about the size of a hotel room....the standard balcony is much tighter. The JS tub makes the bathroom a bit larger (but still, not spacious!). The walk in closet is stupendous! We only sail in JS's now, after being crammed into a much smaller cabin on our 1st cruise...too tight for me!

A JS is wonderful but might have to rethink spending $1,000 more for one. We recently switched our D-1 to a JS on our Oasis April 2018 sailing and the price increase was around $750. I might add, we are doing a b2b ( April 15 & 22 ) I took that because my DH isn't sure he will want to travel anymore afterward so said if he stops cruising, lets give him his final cruise on an Oasis Class and in a JS.:)

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Our first Oasis cruise was in an ocean view balcony. Dh detested the bathroom with the tube shower. Our subsequent cruises on Allure and Oasis were in JS and now that's all we book. I don't even bother to do a price comparison because we like the larger balcony (on the hump), the bathroom, and the closet. However, we only cruise once a year since dh is not retired. I know many people prefer to save the extra money and spend it on more cruises per year.

We almost always do the junior suite. I like having some space. The traditional balcony rooms seem cramped to me, and as another poster said the JS seems more like a typical hotel room.

To me it's worth it and I don't look at the costs of the rooms in lower categories. I compare to the higher, and occasionally bump up. I have a feeling that's going to happen more often.

If the money was more of an issue, I would definitely start looking at the other room categories. Let's face it. For the most part, everyone gets treated the same, even though some customers are paying very different fares. In the end only you can judge if the additional expense is worth it to you.

We only do JS because we like the extra space (and we are just 2 people in the cabin).

Having said that, on our most recent cruise on HOTS, we learned that "extra space" has a new competitor in the category of "why we must sail in a JS": Coastal Kitchen. We really enjoyed having dinner there. It was relaxing. The food was good. We weren't rushed or crowded. And the drinks were included :-)

As someone else said, I don't even look at the pricing for cabins below a JS. I've gotten spoiled. And if you think you might be spoiled too, maybe you shouldn't do it ;-)

My wife and I just had this debate ahead of our upcoming Allure cruise. Since it's just the two of us and we spend little time in the room, we decided to forego the JS. The extra balcony space sounded nice but $1000 is a weekend away down the road.

• 1 year later...

I just got an offer to upgrade my ocean view balcony to a JS for $850. Its a seven night cruise and we are 3 in the room.... is it worth it? When you get upgraded, do you get all the perks for being in a JS and also, are there any extra fees that I have to pay because of the upgrade or just the $850? We’re sailing on April 15.