No More Cream

Bill B

I'm sitting at my resort in Kep, Cambodia after disembarking the Diamond yesterday (10-day, RT Singapore to Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Phuket).

In the inexorable series of cutbacks, it seems cream has gone the way of the dodo. The choices are now: milk and skim milk. Perhaps Princess is trying to stem the tide of morbid obesity swamping the world? :rolleyes:

I'm sitting at my resort in Kep, Cambodia after disembarking the Diamond yesterday (10-day, RT Singapore to Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Phuket).

In the inexorable series of cutbacks, it seems cream has gone the way of the dodo. The choices are now: milk and skim milk. Perhaps Princess is trying to stem the tide of morbid obesity swamping the world? :rolleyes:

Is cream commonly used in China?

I can only address one cruise on one ship; however, there was no cream from beginning to end... so they didn't 'run out'. I'm sure if they wanted, they could load cream in Singapore.

The Chinese are not big dairy product consumers as there is a high percentage of lactose intolerance among the population. Where I live most milk comes in Tetra Paks, and is at least 4% butter fat (2% and skim milk are unknown). Cream and whipping cream are available at international chain supermarket stores such as Wall Mart & Metro (in the 'big city')... but what does that have to do with Princess cruises?

Unlimited butter was always available... at least in the buffet (I never went to the Dining Room).

I can only address one cruise on one ship; however, there was no cream from beginning to end... so they didn't 'run out'.

Did they have clotted cream with scones every afternoon with their tea service? Clotted cream is not made from skim milk!

I think there are times when cruise ships are not able to stock up on certain products or supplies due to the products having a serious listeria dairy problems in China. The ships have to stock up on different food items from different countries. They have to make sure the foods are healthy.

I would not want to get sick on tainted cream or China only had a small amount of fresh cream available for the ship to use it in their cream filled pastries.

One time some cruiser got upset because a cruise ship didn't have bananas.lol

Bananas have their own issues. Need to be apart from the other produce. Shipped green, might not ripen in time or get too ripe.

Last Ruby cruise we had no bananas but did have banana bread. :)

Edited by SadieN

Bananas have their own issues. Need to be apart from the other produce. Shipped green, might not ripen in time or get too ripe.

One cruise we started with Bananas a bit on the green side, last few days they were making banana everything as they were going off.

Not an unusual problem with items that can have a short shelf life.

I think there are times when cruise ships are not able to stock up on certain products or supplies due to the products having a serious listeria dairy problems in China. The ships have to stock up on different food items from different countries. They have to make sure the foods are healthy.

I would not want to get sick on tainted cream or China only had a small amount of fresh cream available for the ship to use it in their cream filled pastries.

"Yes, we have no bananas, we have-a no bananas today.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. I couldn't get the song out of my head after reading this thread)

On Princess bananas are stored in different temperature rooms to lengthen the time that bananas will be good as whole bananas.

After that, as noted, there will be plenty of banana bread.

In the inexorable series of cutbacks, it seems cream has gone the way of the dodo. The choices are now: milk and skim milk. Perhaps Princess is trying to stem the tide of morbid obesity swamping the world?

Bill B -

Now that you mentioned it, I had a similar situation on Star Princess last week.

After finishing dinner in the main dining room, I asked for a coffee. When I added cream to my coffee I noticed that it was actually skim milk in the little milk jug on the table! :eek: So, I immediately asked my server for creamer. He acted like he didn't know how to respond or what to say! LOL... He quickly disappeared and came back several minutes later with creamer. Yaaa!!!:D

I thought it was just an isolated incident. But maybe it wasn't? :rolleyes:

~Karen

Bill B -

Now that you mentioned it, I had a similar situation on Star Princess last week.

After finishing dinner in the main dining room, I asked for a coffee. When I added cream to my coffee I noticed that it was actually skim milk in the little milk jug on the table! :eek: So, I immediately asked my server for creamer. He acted like he didn't know how to respond or what to say! LOL... He quickly disappeared and came back several minutes later with creamer. Yaaa!!!:D

I thought it was just an isolated incident. But maybe it wasn't? :rolleyes:

~Karen

This response from the wait staff seems to be the way they handle it, if you ask them a question they don't like to answer they just mutter, shrug, smile. I asked why no butter dish and got the same response.