Just booked our first RC cruise

Not new to cruising, but new to RC. We just booked the Independence of the Seas N. European 8-night cruise for this summer. It's obviously pretty full as our choices were pretty limited. But we still were able to pick a balcony on deck 8, so we're happy. It's nice that there's a sale, although I know in retail, everything gets marked up so they can put it on sale. ;)

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for things we might not expect being different between Carnival and RC. We've typically done Carnival because our friends picked it when we started cruising with them, so we just stick with them. We're happy with them too, no real complaints. We also realize this is a cruise for the sights, I don't get hung up the entertainment and such. We might go to a show when we have time. In other words, I'm just looking for things we may not even think about.

I did find the roll call for this cruise too, so I can get more specific info there I know. Thanks so much!

Even though you indicated entertainment is not high priority, would definitely recommend the ice show. Something unique to RC and amazing that you can skate on a moving ship.

Good to know! I just was saying it because I know some people are big on that, some people are big on bars, etc... We go to get to see places. :)

We have never been on Carnival, so I can't compare, but congratulations, it is always exciting to have something new to look forward to. :)

Thanks! As of 4 days ago we were looking at a driving trip around the American southwest! But we were running into some lodging roadblocks since we're only about 6 months out. I found this cruise and thought that would be fun!! So quite a change of plans! I'm just glad we were able to get a good balcony still! :D

Thanks for the tips on the ice show! We'll certainly make sure we catch it. Is it just one night? And more than one show on that night? Or is it different nights?

Our experience has been that the ice show is performed 3 or 4 times, with some performances in the afternoon.

Can anyone tell me about how much a soda or juice costs? In the past, we've done the soda package for myself and our son. I don't drink alcohol, so it was pretty much worth it for me, and definitely for our son. I know it's cheaper for kids on Carnival, but it appears RC considers him an adult at 13. :( But I'm just wondering how much an individual soda is to see if it's worth the cost of the regular soda package. I know I read somewhere else too that people had asked about the Freestyle machines, but that Independence didn't have them. I assume that is still accurate? On Carnival, we have to go to any of the bars to get a soda, or just order it in the MDR when eating.

Also, if anyone has info on the teens club that they have. As I said, he's 13, he'll be just a few weeks shy of 14 when we cruise. But on all of his cruises he's hung out at the teen club, he enjoys it. Of course, just like Alaska, we've told him it's only going to be on the days we're at sea anyway, since port days are so long.

Can anyone tell me about how much a soda or juice costs? ...

A 12oz can of soda is up to $3.84 including gratuity.

Fresh squeezed OJ is around $4.

Juice concentrates are available at breakfast and are included in the basic cruise fare.

A 12oz can of soda is up to $3.84 including gratuity.

Fresh squeezed OJ is around $4.

Juice concentrates are available at breakfast and are included in the basic cruise fare.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Wow! That is a lot more than Carnival, good to know. Then we'll probably both do the basic soda package. Thank you!