Train from SYD into CBD

Just wanted to post that the hotel (for some reason I don't get) needs to know in advance that we want to store our bags with them. I have no problem with telling them but it does seem strange that they can't just accommodate guests. Is this typical for Sydney--I know space is at a premium there but still...

Anyway, we did call ahead and tell them there would 4 of us plus bags, so I hope it works out. And I am hoping we can do some paperwork and check in when we arrive, even if we have to wait for the room.

But we will see and it will be a great adventure and fun and we will be in Sydney and getting ready for a cruise and....

ML

NEVER heard of any hotel in Sydney wanting advance notice that you wanted to drop your bags, EVER.

G'day NoWhiners,

"IF" you were to get the train, heres the layout to expect:

http://www.sydneytrains.info/about/fleet/a_sets

Most likely,

or:

http://www.sydneytrains.info/about/fleet/m_sets

The area at the end of the carriages is where everyone is talking about (at platform level with the horizontal (according to pic) seating).

As I said earlier, go towards the rear of the train at the airport station if selecting the option, less crowded.

cya

bl262000

NEVER heard of any hotel in Sydney wanting advance notice that you wanted to drop your bags, EVER.

i have not either but maybe they are pretty full or a lot leaving ?? for that day and want to make sure they have room ?? might be why ??

Just wanted to post that the hotel (for some reason I don't get) needs to know in advance that we want to store our bags with them. I have no problem with telling them but it does seem strange that they can't just accommodate guests. Is this typical for Sydney--I know space is at a premium there but still...

Anyway, we did call ahead and tell them there would 4 of us plus bags, so I hope it works out. And I am hoping we can do some paperwork and check in when we arrive, even if we have to wait for the room.

But we will see and it will be a great adventure and fun and we will be in Sydney and getting ready for a cruise and....

ML

Normally check in is around 2 or 3 pm although sometimes they can give you a room earlier. If they don't have any rooms ready yet (still being cleaned), they should be able to hold your bags until the afternoon, which will allow you to go exploring and then return later at your leisure.:D

I think if we were going straight to the port, this would work well for us. But, we are coming in 3 days early and it might work better to go to the hotel from the airport. At least we can drop our bags and start spending money :D

Empty train would be great but maybe not at about 10 am???

ML

The train would certainly be emptier at 10am or later compared to between 7 and 9,30am.

Sorry, just thought of another question, and I don't want to start (yet another) a thread.

Can those of you (probably US citizens but maybe natives) give us an idea of how long it will take to get from our plane, thru baggage pickup and customs out to where we are free to go into Sydney? I am thinking this is about 90 minutes from landing to being cleared (I assume we go thru Customs and we have ESTA approval already). Just trying to plan, since our friends arrive about 3 hours after us. Maybe we should just go to the hotel and not wait for them???

Thanks for any insight

ML

It really depends on how many other planes arrive at a similar time. I have gotten through immigration, collected the bags and then gone through customs within 1/2 hour and it has also taken up to 2 hours. Either way, if there is a 3 hour difference for your friends, it may be worth getting to the hotel and rather than waiting for them. Airports are not great or comfortable places to spend time in unless you have access to a Flight club lounge.

I have, they often want to know this when you say that the time you plan to arrive is earlier than check in time. Common with overseas hotels as well.

It really depends on how many other planes arrive at a similar time. I have gotten through immigration, collected the bags and then gone through customs within 1/2 hour and it has also taken up to 2 hours. Either way, if there is a 3 hour difference for your friends, it may be worth getting to the hotel and rather than waiting for them. Airports are not great or comfortable places to spend time in unless you have access to a Flight club lounge.

I definitely wouldn't plan to spend three hours at Sydney Airport (unless your flight is delayed and your friends' flight is not). I think it is likely that you will get through customs/immigration/bag pickup in 1/2 to 1 hour. (When I come in on an international flight I am always in a hurry to catch the domestic flight to home so I have taken notice and almost always it is possible to do in 1 hour).

Perhaps you could catch the train (depending on how far your hotel is from Wynyard station), leave your bags at the hotel, go and get supplies (if you want) and explore the local area before your friends arrive.

If you are disembarking the cruise in Circular Quay and leaving that day on a flight, you could also do the train thing then :) The train would be a very convenient way to get to the international airport at your leisure. This is also a reason not to buy a return shuttle ticket.

Edited by lucymorgan

lucymorgan,

OP is staying at Wyndham Suites/Resort on the corner of Goulburn and Wentworth Streets, quite a distance from Wynyard Station. The nearest station is Museum I believe. The OP, her husband and friends depart Sydney a few days later on their cruise and will stay a few days on their return.

Leigh

We got off at Museum station last year and there was no lifts. I remember it being quite difficult carrying the suitcases up several fligths of stairs. Would go to central and walk the extra distance in future If I was taking the train!

3 lifts were installed and opened at Museum station last year at beginning of October.

Not so bad now:D

I definitely wouldn't plan to spend three hours at Sydney Airport (unless your flight is delayed and your friends' flight is not). I think it is likely that you will get through customs/immigration/bag pickup in 1/2 to 1 hour. (When I come in on an international flight I am always in a hurry to catch the domestic flight to home so I have taken notice and almost always it is possible to do in 1 hour).

Perhaps you could catch the train (depending on how far your hotel is from Wynyard station), leave your bags at the hotel, go and get supplies (if you want) and explore the local area before your friends arrive.

If you are disembarking the cruise in Circular Quay and leaving that day on a flight, you could also do the train thing then :) The train would be a very convenient way to get to the international airport at your leisure. This is also a reason not to buy a return shuttle ticket.

lucymorgan

Thanks for the time estimate. Seems to be at least some agreement 1 hour would be about right.

We were originally going to take the train, but I asked if there was a place for our bags and there isn't, so I'm not sure how we would handle that part. And, since we arrive at 6 am, and allowing for all we have to do, it would be about 7 am or so when we either take the train or a cab. But, that would be prime time for commuting, wouldn't it? I would be fine with the train, even if we had to stand in the back of a car with our bags but I'm not sure that's an option. Might be fun to do this. We will be purchasing Opal cards at the airport station whether or not we take the rain (since we have time).

ML

As mentioned, getting through the airport has been very quick and slow but I suppose the average time would be around the 1 hour mark, for international guests though, it may take a little longer.

A little longer would be Ok but then our friends would have to do all this when they arrive. Maybe we should just press on without them and meet at the hotel.

ML

3 lifts were installed and opened at Museum station last year at beginning of October.

Not so bad now:D

This is a very nice tidbit of info, thanks :)

Can you tell me where the lifts are? Sometimes they can be hard to find!

ML

This is the information from the transport site:

The upgraded Museum Station includes:

A new lift connecting the entry of the station on the corner of Elizabeth and Liverpool streets and the underground station concourse.

Two new lifts connecting the station concourse with the platforms.

While you may hit peak hour on the train, it will also be peak hour on the

roads.:eek:

But at 7.00am sometimes the end carriages aren't as full. People are usually aiming to get to work between 8.00am and 9.00am

Getting thru arrivals in Sydney is excellent compared to many other airports. OK as an Aussie I can use the entry 'kiosks' & then Smartgate, which is fast, which others from elsewhere may not. The longest time in my experience is waiting for luggage to come onto the carousel, which is nothing to do with your nationality.

Last Sat I arrived on the flight from DFW scheduled to arrive 6:05am. We touched down around 20' late, and I was outside the terminal calling my shuttle for pick-up at 7:03am (I just checked my phone :) )

So allowing an hour should be fine.

A little longer would be Ok but then our friends would have to do all this when they arrive. Maybe we should just press on without them and meet at the hotel.

ML

That would be my suggestion, I would see what time you get through and then get on the train (at either end of a end carriage). If there is a seat put your bags in front of you, otherwise stand with your bags. Drop your bags at the hotel and go for a wander into Hyde park or get your supplies. Greet your friends at the station or the hotel on their arrival, go to lunch. Check in after lunch in time for a nana nap.:D

This is the information from the transport site:

The upgraded Museum Station includes:

A new lift connecting the entry of the station on the corner of Elizabeth and Liverpool streets and the underground station concourse.

Two new lifts connecting the station concourse with the platforms.

While you may hit peak hour on the train, it will also be peak hour on the

roads.:eek:

But at 7.00am sometimes the end carriages aren't as full. People are usually aiming to get to work between 8.00am and 9.00am

Babsjo

After reading your post, I looked up rail maps for Sydney. Imagine my surprise when I saw the trip is only 15 minutes! For some reason, I thought it was 30-40 minutes. So, no problem for us to take the train. Cost seems OK and we have decided to start our adventure by taking the train. We have plenty of time and this will help us begin to get our bearings.

Just wondering--even though it will be prime travel time, won't we be entering at the first stop for the train (at the International terminal)? So it shouldn't be too crowded? Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help, much appreciated

ML

Getting thru arrivals in Sydney is excellent compared to many other airports. OK as an Aussie I can use the entry 'kiosks' & then Smartgate, which is fast, which others from elsewhere may not. The longest time in my experience is waiting for luggage to come onto the carousel, which is nothing to do with your nationality.

Last Sat I arrived on the flight from DFW scheduled to arrive 6:05am. We touched down around 20' late, and I was outside the terminal calling my shuttle for pick-up at 7:03am (I just checked my phone :) )

So allowing an hour should be fine.

mr walker

Thanks for this.

That is the same flight we will be on, DFW--STD, arrive at 6:05 am. What a coincidence. 20 minutes late is nothing and sounds like we can depend on about an hour to get through the airport.

We are quite looking forward to starting our trip form the aiprort via train.

Thanks

ML

Babsjo

Just wondering--even though it will be prime travel time, won't we be entering at the first stop for the train (at the International terminal)? So it shouldn't be too crowded? Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help, much appreciated

ML

G'day ML,

The train service actually starts just over an hour earlier at a place called Macarthur near Cambeltown. You will be joining it in the last 15 minutes of the service so there will be people on it. The airport stations are just "stops" on a longer journey.

cya

bl262000

That would be my suggestion, I would see what time you get through and then get on the train (at either end of a end carriage). If there is a seat put your bags in front of you, otherwise stand with your bags. Drop your bags at the hotel and go for a wander into Hyde park or get your supplies. Greet your friends at the station or the hotel on their arrival, go to lunch. Check in after lunch in time for a nana nap.:D

Hi Mic

Yep, you're right, we will leave the airport and meet our friends at the hotel. And we'll take the train because we have to learn how to use it. We found our way from the Athens airport to the center of Athens, and we didn't speak Greek. I'm sure it will be easier in Sydney, sharing a common language and all. Well, OK, mostly common :D

Looks like about a 3 block walk to our hotel but I think we can manage that.

We will walk about, get our bearings, maybe buy some supplies (depends on how early this is and when we can actually checkin. Don't want to be dragging milk and such about with us if it's hot.

No naps though! We need to adjust to the time zone and will stay awake until 9 pm if we can. My experience is that's the fastest way to reset our internal clocks.

Thanks

ML

ML,

There is a convenience shop in the same building as the Wyndham which costs much more than a supermarket but may be convenient to buy milk.. There is a Coles supermarket at the World Square Complex, just a few minutes walk along Goulburn Street where you will be able to buy all your supplies.

Leigh

G'day ML,

The train service actually starts just over an hour earlier at a place called Macarthur near Cambeltown. You will be joining it in the last 15 minutes of the service so there will be people on it. The airport stations are just "stops" on a longer journey.

cya

bl262000

Ahh, I see. The map i was looking at must have just been a portion. Bad on me. Now i understand the issue. I suppose we could just wait if cars are too full, since we aren't rushing off to work.

Thanks for explaining,

ML