reuben sandwiches

I asked this on another site. Want to ask here also. I love reubens. I'm told they are available for lunch in the MDR. I don't recall seeing them on the menu, but we've only have lunch in the MDR a few times. We'll be on the Caribbean Princess if that makes a difference. Thanks!! :)

I asked this on another site. Want to ask here also. I love reubens. I'm told they are available for lunch in the MDR. I don't recall seeing them on the menu, but we've only have lunch in the MDR a few times. We'll be on the Caribbean Princess if that makes a difference. Thanks!! :)

I have had the Princess Reubens in the MDR for lunch. I don’t recall if they are always available. They are OK but not great. But then I have never had a great cruise ship sandwich of any sort.

I recall seeing a reuben sandwich on the MDR lunch menu at least once some time in the past, but MDR lunch menus change from day to day, and MDR lunch is only served on sea days. So, if your cruise is port intensive, there may not be many MDR lunches and the reuben may never show up on the menu.

Since I like sit down meals and avoid the buffet, if the MDR is open for lunch we always go (unless pub lunch is offered, then we go there), I generally get the burger. It is almost always awesome.

I don't often go to the MDR for lunch but recall having it there once.

Years ago it was occasionally available at the IC although with sauerkraut and Russian dressing the bread probably got soggy while in the display case & is why I haven't seen it available recently.

I don't often go to the MDR for lunch but recall having it there once.

Years ago it was occasionally available at the IC although with sauerkraut and Russian dressing the bread probably got soggy while in the display case & is why I haven't seen it available recently.

I never saw it at any IC on any ship, so it must have come and gone pretty quickly.

I have tried them many times on several ships not all Princess, I thought the standard of taste was not what I am used too. The closest I got to a reasonable one was on Oasis last year, still I have had better on land. The problem I have had mainly is the bad pickles have been sharper and the sauerkraut not correct.

One real bummer about Princess is the lack of decent, made to order sandwiches, in the Lido...at lunch. We have had the Reuben in the MDR (rarely offered) and it was a Reuben in name only. Mine was cold, very little meat, not much sauerkraut, and no dressing. Any deli offering such a sandwich would be out of business in days.

Hank

Ask your waiter if they can make you one and tell them what you would like on it, they may say yes. :)

Linda

Ask your waiter if they can make you one and tell them what you would like on it, they may say yes. :)

Better to ask your headwaiter the night before. If it is possible, he can arrange it for you to have at lunch the next sea day.

Just got off the Regal. They had Reubens on certain days in the HC Bistro area and the server would put it in a sandwich press to warm it and melt the cheese! I love them as a cruise treat, but limit my intake due to sodium. I can count on one hand the number of times we have eaten lunch in the MDR, but once it was because they were offering a Reuben sandwich that day. Like the previous poster stated, it was room termperature and the cheese wasn't even melted. Bummer.

rumbalizw-two slices of rye bread, Russian or thousand island dressing, corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, grilled in a press for a minute or two. I think it's an American concoction.

Edited by 1965

rumbalizw-two slices of rye bread, Russian or thousand island dressing, corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, grilled in a press for a minute or two. I think it's an American concoction.

It is American. Controversial if it started in Omaha, NE or NYC. Being in the Midwest, I believe the Omaha creation story.

pia1913-Pastrami sounds just as good!! Love that I'm not the only Reuben fan here. Hard to believe, but the best Reuben I ever got was in Libby, Montana, at the White Knight Pub. :)

Hmmmmm....never been to Montana. But here in South Florida there are many places where you can get a good Reuben.

One real bummer about Princess is the lack of decent, made to order sandwiches, in the Lido...at lunch. We have had the Reuben in the MDR (rarely offered) and it was a Reuben in name only. Mine was cold, very little meat, not much sauerkraut, and no dressing. Any deli offering such a sandwich would be out of business in days.

Hank

There's no better sandwich than a good Reuben, and nothing worse than a bad one.

There's no in between. Just the right amount of grease, and right proportions of meat to sauerkraut to dressing. And never ever cold or dry.