It pays to book after final payment

ISABELLA

It certainly does! We keep seeing this over and over again. With that said, I am truly conflicted as I recently booked a cruise with a final payment of Feb. 16. We booked a interior guarantee category Z, Pacific Coastal, May 2017 and there is a lot of availability on insides and outsides. We were was assigned, imo, a wonderful location(deck 11 aft). In fact, the location is what prompted me to book the cruise. I put it on 24 hour hold, and they immediately assigned a room while it was on HOLD status only. I continue to look for price drops, none so far. I am very happy with what I paid ($999 pp, before taxes). I will have to decide by Feb. 16 what I am going to do. This is a cruise we really want to take, but with the excess inventory in the interior/OV category I wonder if I can get a better deal after final payment.

We do a lot of cruising (sometimes over 100 days a year) and use a combination of long term booking and also last minute (inside final payment period) bookings. Without question, our best deals are on the last minute cruises (we have had high category balconies for under $50 per passenger day). But last minute bookings are not for everyone. Ideally, one should be flexible with both their own time and cruise line/ship. And there is never a guarantee that will find a great deal. When looking for a really good last minute deal we often have an open mind and are willing to go nearly anywhere in the world on less then a month's notice. Those kind of trips have always been great fun...perhaps because it all falls into place over a short period of time.

Hank

We do a lot of cruising (sometimes over 100 days a year) and use a combination of long term booking and also last minute (inside final payment period) bookings. Without question, our best deals are on the last minute cruises (we have had high category balconies for under $50 per passenger day). But last minute bookings are not for everyone. Ideally, one should be flexible with both their own time and cruise line/ship. And there is never a guarantee that will find a great deal. When looking for a really good last minute deal we often have an open mind and are willing to go nearly anywhere in the world on less then a month's notice. Those kind of trips have always been great fun...perhaps because it all falls into place over a short period of time.

Hank

Last minute is always better fun. Although one can be hot with higher airfares.

Speaking of airfare...I have ALL airfare in place for above mentioned cruise using points,etc. I even have the 2 day post cruise booked with points. I had all this in place before I booked the cruise anticipating booking after final payment. I can cancel all and have points redeposited.

It certainly does! We keep seeing this over and over again. With that said, I am truly conflicted as I recently booked a cruise with a final payment of Feb. 16. We booked a interior guarantee category Z, Pacific Coastal, May 2017 and there is a lot of availability on insides and outsides. We were was assigned, imo, a wonderful location(deck 11 aft). In fact, the location is what prompted me to book the cruise. I put it on 24 hour hold, and they immediately assigned a room while it was on HOLD status only. I continue to look for price drops, none so far. I am very happy with what I paid ($999 pp, before taxes). I will have to decide by Feb. 16 what I am going to do. This is a cruise we really want to take, but with the excess inventory in the interior/OV category I wonder if I can get a better deal after final payment.

We are watching this same sailing very closely. I just told my better half this morning to really keep an eye on it come Feb 17 and after when final payment date & penalties start to kick in. We love the itinerary, but are willing to sit back and wait for any possible price reductions. If they don't come this time around, we'll catch 'em another time as we are on the West Coast and can plan with short notice.

Today's special - Eclipse- April 2, sailing 14 days Caribbean

AQ1 - solo rate -$AquaClass

Occupancy: 1 Passenger

$2,724.00 - WOW!

If that was a bargain, what was the rate before the price drop!?

About double that! This is fantastic for a single occupancy, since the cruise lines usually charge the same for one or two people in a cabin. Our March 19th Eclipse 14-nighter Concierge was just about that amount per-person X 2. We do have all four perks, though, and I don't know if Isabella has any, but even if none, it's a great deal. I'd love to know if she's getting any perks for that price and double Captain's Club points.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

there is a lot of availability on insides and outsides. but with the excess inventory in the interior/OV category I wonder if I can get a better deal after final payment.

How do you see available inventory ? We have not sailed =X= yet, but when I do sample bookings I am shown six or so cabins on one deck. Conversely on Princess it is easy to switch between decks and between Mid - Aft - Fore and see available cabins

How do you see available inventory ? We have not sailed =X= yet, but when I do sample bookings I am shown six or so cabins on one deck. Conversely on Princess it is easy to switch between decks and between Mid - Aft - Fore and see available cabins

The Celebrity UK site shows all availability.

About double that! This is fantastic for a single occupancy, since the cruise lines usually charge the same for one or two people in a cabin. Our March 19th Eclipse 14-nighter Concierge was just about that amount per-person X 2. We do have all four perks, though, and I don't know if Isabella has any, but even if none, it's a great deal. I'd love to know if she's getting any perks for that price and double Captain's Club points.

The Tues/Wed "Exciting Deals" don't come with perks, aside from those a TA gives you. But in these cases, the perks are in the savings. Even more so when it comes to solos when they are 150% instead of the usual 200%.

Hi, does it show how many "gty" cabins are still available? If so can you tell me how to see that, thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

It will show how many cabins are free in the category, any one of which could be assigned to a guaranty customer

Booking after final payment may lead to lower prices but only if cabins exist, so waiting can be risky if the cruise is a "must do". As has been noted, prices don't always go down.

Edited by BosoxI

It will show how many cabins are free in the category, any one of which could be assigned to a guaranty customer

Booking after final payment may lead to lower prices but only if cabins exist, so waiting can be risky if the cruise is a "must do". As has been noted, prices don't always go down.

Thanks, when I just tried the uk website, it gave me a list of all available cabins - is this what you guys mean?

It doesn't say for eg 23 cabins still available??

On one cruise it only had "gty" ov cabins left but didn't tell me how many ... or I doing something wrong?

Even when it lists available cabins in a select category is that an exhaustive list?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

My wife and I have done a couple last minute cruises. We had fun, got a good price, and we were satisfied with the stateroom location.

We haven't done a Celebrity cruise yet, but are considering it for the near future. Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

High Airfare, less perks can occur, plus poor cabin location. GOOD LUCK

I'm sure in some cases that's true, but I wouldn't make it a blanket statement meant to infer its that way all the time.

On our last =X= cruise, we spontaneously decided to book the next sailing while on board. Got a great aft C1 (M-class) for a good price with OBC and booked new airfare home with miles. We've found that often it's easier to book mileage tickets much closer to the travel dates than far ahead. Some airlines tend to open up unsold seats to mileage awards close to departure.

High Airfare, less perks can occur, plus poor cabin location. GOOD LUCK

Fewer perks as in no perks, but on a recent cruise on X, we got an Aqua guarantee for $1,399 p/p. We were assigned an A1 cabin, the price for that cabin at the time we booked was $3,800 p/p. So, the total for two was $2,800, as opposed to $7,600. That's a savings 0f $4,800, and believe me, without that savings we would never have taken the cruise.

The downside? We had to pay $336 in gratuities (how terrible), making our total $3,136. To be completely honest, we are Elite+ and not heavy drinkers so we didn't need a drink package and we survived using the Elite+ internet minutes. No airline problems for we were already on board from the prior cruise.

We were assigned cabin #1551 which some people complain about because of the window washing equipment., That would not have been a problem for us in any case, but I kept checking and eventually was able to switch to 1562, which is one of the best A1s in my book.

We were very lucky, as the stars aligned in our favor. That is not always the case with guarantees and they are certainly not for everyone. We will gladly tolerate less than perfect situations to board a cruise we would have skipped under normal conditions.

No perks, but I am for a bargain price vs frills. Being Elite Plus, I get more than enough as benefits.

No perks, but I am for a bargain price vs frills. Being Elite Plus, I get more than enough as benefits.

You're right about the Elite+ bennies making up for lack of "perks".

Even though we're just sneaking up on Elite, I like your strategy. We're a few years retired from our respective professions and our continuing contract work gives us a lot of scheduling flexibility. Somehow, though, we keep finding ourselves at the Future Cruise desk on every sailing, booking years into the future. Gotta break that habit and start snapping up post-final-payment bargains like this!

Thanks for posting. Besides making me rethink how we spend our cruise dollars, I got a cheap (no pun intended) thrill from knowing you got this great deal.