Ranking MSC survey

ERLEC

For those of you that previously cruised other liners, how would you rank MSC compared with Carnival, RCCL, NCL and Celebrity.

I'd like to see your comparison for entertainment, cabins, services and food.

I have never cruised MSC yet. I did Carnival, NCL and Celebrity so far.

I loved all the cruiselines I did so far. Some had better services than others, but I truly enjoyed all my cruises no matter what. And I've seen some of the best food in the industry and some of the worse within the same company. Sometime all depends on the ship itself...

I'm looking into cruising the Seaside in Feb 2018...

Hi there Erlec, we did the NYE cruise on Divina, boarded Dec. 30 2016

Here's the review I did; I admit it's not much but I think you'll get the drift, we really enjoyed it: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=562230

I don't really do comparisons since I try to treat each vacation based on it's own merrits. However, since you ask, I'll try to give a little feedback. We had no issue with our cabin which was similar to an balcony cabin on NCL, we enjoyed the dining experience with 4 other guests in the MDR too. If you're lucky enough to have Camilla as your head waitress, you'll have no worries at all, she's fabulous.

IMO, when you go into it with an open mind you're far more likely to focus on the things you like. I think you'll love the kids program, there were many young ones on our cruise and they all seemed to be having a great time.

Enjoy

I just posted a photo review of our first time experience on MSC (link in my signature). I'm Platinum on Carnival and Platinum on Royal Caribbean. I've also sailed other major cruise lines like Princess (which many compare to Celebrity), and Holland America.

I place MSC solidly above Carnival but below Royal Caribbean (and I place Princess higher than Royal). MSC has the budget vibe that Carnival has but in a more luxurious feeling ship. We did meet passengers during our cruise who thought that MSC was terrible and they were going back to Carnival. But I don't think that the problem was MSC, but that the product was just not tailored for these specific passengers.

Feel free to read my review for more detailed information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've sailed twice on Royal Carribbean, once on NCL and the last 3 on MSC with 2 more planned for MSC this year. In my opinion, NCL wins in entertainment and dining as we enjoyed the freestyle dining on Epic and the food was better IMHO than Royal although it's close. I would aspire to sail on Celebrity but, based on value for money, MSC gets my business for now.

For those of you that previously cruised other liners, how would you rank MSC compared with Carnival, RCCL, NCL and Celebrity.

I loved all the cruiselines I did so far. Some had better services than others, but I truly enjoyed all my cruises no matter what. And I've seen some of the best food in the industry and some of the worse within the same company. Sometime all depends on the ship itself...

If you've truly enjoyed cruises no matter what, then you'll probably like MSC as the pricing is the "cheapest" (IMO) of all the lines you listed, especially when you take into the internet package pricing, and the drink coupon pricing (or I think MSC will include a certain beverage package at the Fantastica level).

You can see my review in the Reviews section for the Cruise. We did the 12/6/16 sailing for the MSC Divina and had a rather rough experience to say the least.

But given your items:

Entertainment: I'd rank MSC/RCL about the same at #1. I think the quality of MSC was slightly better than RCL, but I think the variety of RCL beats MSC. So that's why I rank them "even" at #1. Carnival is last, IMO as they did not (on the 2 ships I've been on) use professional staff, but rather crew members. However, if you mean comedy and stuff like that in your category of Entertainment, then MSC would be last (no comedy clubs, etc.) I'm referring to the nightly shows (early/late seatings) for "entertainment" and nothing else. so if you meant something other than that...

Cabins:

MSC last due to poor sound insulation (you could literally see through the adjoining cabin door as sunlight would come in from the other cabin and peek through the door, and as a result we could also hear everything. I mean everything) and the many water leaks in the hallways outside our cabin and the resulting mold/mildew smell from the carpet/water stains in the hallway. Carnival and RCL I'd say are "even" in terms of the rooms/cleanliness/etc.

Services:

Not sure what you mean. If you mean Guest Services, MSC is dead last. I never met a bunch of incompetent and rude/unhelpful staff on any cruise.

If you mean the actual wait staff in the MDR and the cabin staff, then I'd say a tie with MSC/Carnival and RCL only slightly lower (our cabin steward on RCL didn't vacuum).

If you mean the types of services (Internet, drinking packages, etc) then MSC has the best (IMO) pricing/variety. Unfortunately I've not cruise Carnival/RCL since they made changes.

Food:

MSC had things like lamb chops, I think we had filet twice (once in a beef wellington). However the quality/consistency left much to be desired. (See my review for more details) and food was never hot. Not bad food, not great either. Buffet was OK, but if you like pizza, then you'll be amazed. I would still give Carnival top for food in the buffet area (but I love my desserts). Probably RCL and MSC (although close) for #2/#3 for buffet. MDR I'd give Carnival #1 and RCL #2, but that's mostly due to service and consistency and MSC #3. Again, not bad (I mean if you have 3 cruise lines and rank them, someone has to be "#3"). My main issues with MSC and our cruise were:

1) Complete lack of organization. You'll see this commonly an issue in many reviews. Basically if they screw up somewhere, it's a major hassle to get anything fixed/taken care of and it'll always be your fault, not theirs. Seriously having to stand hours in line to get what you paid for only to be refused because they insist they gave it to you is NOT my idea of a vacation.

2) Poor organization for the MDR. They seriously have understaffed and you will be lucky to get out in 2 hours before the next seating and don't expect any refills on drinks in a timely fashion at all. Definitely order the bottled water as otherwise you'll go thirsty.

OR just pay the 2.5x the price for Yacht Club and then you'll be OK for #2 anyway, but no guarantee for #1.

IF MSC can fix their disorganization (doubtful since apparently it's still ongoing since Divina first started, and here we are what, 2 years later?), I'd sail them again in a heartbeat. OR if I could afford the Yacht Club (I just have a hard time justifying a 250% price increase for Yacht club at least for the sailing we were on. I'd rather spend that money on another 2 cruises elsewhere).

But I really think in your case, given your optimistic attitude, that you'll do fine on MSC. I honestly did not expect the level of disorganization or disaster for embarkation/debarkation and hassle on the cruise. I did inform myself of the clientele for buffet etiquette and knew about the long wait in MDR. Didn't quite prepare myself for many water leaks and lack of decent sound proofing for rooms either.

According to cruise critic rankings, MSC ranks last. I'd probably agree with that assessment (loosely). BUT, and this is a huge but, MSC pricing is significantly lower than most every other line. It's not fair to expect champaign while paying beer prices. All things considered, MSC is an excellent value and I'd sail her again.

Ps-'I've sailed YC and Fantasia. And while my opinion is in the minority, I was not blown away by the YC experience. It was nice for sure, but I didn't feel YC was off the charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sailed. On Celebrity NCL RCCL MSC... Celebrity best food older crowd solstice class ships very nice. RCCL lots of activities specialty restaurants entertainment on oasis class awesome more families than Celebrity. NCL freestyle dining all inclusive lots of bars good entertainment better than celebrity but I prefer RCCL over NCL and the Haven is awesome but pricey. So how does MSC compare? On MSC you will find fellow cruisers from all over the world with Americans not the majority on the other cruise lines would bet 90% plus American. This is not a bad thing just different. Also lots of families on board.The ships are gorgeous and spotless entertainment is better tha Celebrity about the same as NCL lots of cirque type shows singing and dancing daytime entertainment about same as celebrity NCL and RCCL have better MSC has the yacht club their answer to the Haven we are trying in June then will be able to compare the two. The food is the one area where MSC is lacking however I've herd they have made vast improvement over the last couple years since I sailed with them I got 3 cruises booked with MSC June Divinia yacht club executive suite New Year's seaside in a grand suite YC was sold out summer 2018 meraviglia 12 night Iceland in a duplex suite YC already sold out finally price i.e. 2 bedroom grand suite new ship over New Years over 2000 less than a balcony on Allure

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on 23 cruises with MSC, Royal, Norwegian, Princess, Carnival and Holland America. My wife and I both agree that the MSC Yacht Club (on the Divina) is the best experience we have had at sea. Service, private pool, deck, lounge and restaurant along with most booze were beyond compare. Food was average to very good.

And this is based on your extensive MSC experience, especially in the Med which is their niche, and where the majority of their ships are deployed?

It's ok if they didn't enjoy their cruise on MSC, sad but ... it just means we don't have to worry about them taking our favourite cabins.... :p

We loved our cruise on Divina so much we cancelled our Seaside cruise and booked a 10 day on Divina in the same timeframe. We'll do Seaside eventually, probably when our GDs are a bit older.

I am very willing to try MSC for the first time in Feb 2018... On their brand new Seaside...

Also, MSC offers a program a matches the loyalty from other brands, so that is really nice. I'll most likely start with MSC on a Silver level.

That being said, I'm used to dine whenever I want, select dining, freestyle, or any other names that the competition calls it. But looks like MSC is not offering that option... I think it's time for them to innovate a little and follow the trend on this. People love to have dinner at no specific times. Depending on the ports we are, sometime we decide to have dinner late or a bit earlier if I have a show to attend for example.

I think it's nice to have the choice of early, late or no specific time dinning.

I am very willing to try MSC for the first time in Feb 2018... On their brand new Seaside...

Also, MSC offers a program a matches the loyalty from other brands, so that is really nice. I'll most likely start with MSC on a Silver level.

That being said, I'm used to dine whenever I want, select dining, freestyle, or any other names that the competition calls it. But looks like MSC is not offering that option... I think it's time for them to innovate a little and follow the trend on this. People love to have dinner at no specific times. Depending on the ports we are, sometime we decide to have dinner late or a bit earlier if I have a show to attend for example.

I think it's nice to have the choice of early, late or no specific time dinning.

I have to retract what I just wrote... Looks like the select dining will be offered on the Seaside. That's a good news!

Costa is part of the Carnival group whereas MSC is a family owned company, very few people in the USA will have travelled with either so comparisons would be few and far between.

Having only travelled with Costa once some years I would say that MSC rates above them based on that cruise, they may well have improved now.

I've sailed all the lines you mention multiple times, including MSC.

1. Celebrity

2. Royal Caribbean

3. Carnival/MSC/NCL

I place MSC squarely in the same league as Carnival and NCL. From purely a hardware perspective, MSC DIVINA is superior to most of what NCL and Carnival have to offer. MSC SEASIDE I think will propel MSC above anything Carnival and NCL have to offer, and I've sailed their newest ships. Entertainment on MSC is far superior to Carnival, and on par with NCL which is also quite good but only on the newest and biggest ships.

Where MSC falls short is the software. Customer Service, overall onboard service, and food. Some is very good but other things don't make the cut. It's a bit inconstant. They are trying hard to meet North American expectations and have come a long way, but they are not there quite yet. I think they will be though, and when they do watch out Carnival & NCL! When that happens I will probably put them just below Royal Caribbean. I'm hoping MSC SEASIDE will pull it all together! In addition to a great new ship, we have a new private out island and even a refurbished Miami terminal.

I like to sail on all the new ship designs regardless of cruise line, but I have to say I'm most excited about SEASIDE. The design just looks so amazing and different. I'm also very excited about Celebrity's new Edge Class, which promise to be something spectacular. More details on those in March.

I've sailed all the lines you mention multiple times, including MSC.

1. Celebrity

2. Royal Caribbean

3. Carnival/MSC/NCL

I place MSC squarely in the same league as Carnival and NCL. From purely a hardware perspective, MSC DIVINA is superior to most of what NCL and Carnival have to offer. MSC SEASIDE I think will propel MSC above anything Carnival and NCL have to offer, and I've sailed their newest ships. Entertainment on MSC is far superior to Carnival, and on par with NCL which is also quite good but only on the newest and biggest ships.

Where MSC falls short is the software. Customer Service, overall onboard service, and food. Some is very good but other things don't make the cut. It's a bit inconstant. They are trying hard to meet North American expectations and have come a long way, but they are not there quite yet. I think they will be though, and when they do watch out Carnival & NCL! When that happens I will probably put them just below Royal Caribbean. I'm hoping MSC SEASIDE will pull it all together! In addition to a great new ship, we have a new private out island and even a refurbished Miami terminal.

I like to sail on all the new ship designs regardless of cruise line, but I have to say I'm most excited about SEASIDE. The design just looks so amazing and different. I'm also very excited about Celebrity's new Edge Class, which promise to be something spectacular. More details on those in March.

eRoller -) Thanks for those comments. They reflect pretty much what I could see from many people's review. Hopefully you are right and this new ship will bring them up to par with NCL/Carnival or even better in what you called "software". This is my hope as well. I'm planning sailing her in Feb 2018. A little 2+ months after it's inauguration. Generally the cruise companies tend to put their best and highly qualified staff on the new ship for their first year of service... Simply to impress the media and the public.

Hi ERLEC.....We just got off the Divina on the 28th of January. This was our first MSC cruise. We are seasoned cruisers. You have a great attitude toward different cruise lines and I think you will be very happy. We have sailed Royal and Carnival and now MSC and in a few months Celebrity (for the first time). We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. If you are an adventurous eater like we are , you will really like it. But if you aren't MSC offers many options that are sure to satisfy. The ship is elegant. In our opinion the crew couldn't have been any more friendly. Their meet and greet was amazing with delish food and drinks and the officers inquire about likes and dislikes, etc. Our balcony cabin was beautiful and had plenty of storage space and the suitcases fit comfortably under the bed. Msc does not provide bar soap (they have body wash) so if you use bar soap, bring your own, like I did. The pizza lounge where you purchase pizza is delicious. We made a habit of going there before dinner to have a drink and they give yummy appetizers (remember to ask for them). Their deserts taste as good as they look (this surprised us). The entertainment was enjoyable and there are live bands in each lounge. Was everything perfect?? Of course not, but I who expects perfect???? I will agree there were some rude passengers which we tried not to let bother us. Also, there were many people speaking foreign languages, but English was foreign to them. MSC is trying and we appreciate that. We enjoyed the feel of an Italian cruise line and hope they don't give in to all the "wants" of American cruisers. It's awesome to have choices of whether we want an all American cruise or a cruise with a European feel. We are looking for another "good deal" to cruise again on MSC......Have fun if you decide to cruise this line:)

Edited by GRANNYOFSIX