Harvest Caye problem Feb 1?

Cyclone99

Then it will be interesting in the days to come to see if other ships were able to port there.

For the OP, did your family member have any other info? Did it just become a sea day or did they port in Belize city?

Just curious as we are traveling on the getaway in a few weeks.

It doesn't seem to be protests -- it only mentions that there were reports of an obstruction in the channel.

As reported, the Getaway had a sea day and the Dawn ported in Belize City, which made the locals there very happy. Apparently, NCL customers spend a lot more than Carnival customers.

http://7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=39220

I'm on the Getaway next week. Does anyone have any more information on this? A major reason why I chose this itinerary was for Belize. If they cancel this, it will make it the 2nd time NCL has cancelled a port I was very interested in. 2/3 NCL cruises will have cancelled a port.

I'm on the Getaway next week. Does anyone have any more information on this? A major reason why I chose this itinerary was for Belize. If they cancel this, it will make it the 2nd time NCL has cancelled a port I was very interested in. 2/3 NCL cruises will have cancelled a port.

Hey Nick, are you aware the ship doesn't actually go to mainland Belize? Harvest Caye is essentially a private island, pretty much a resort for ship passengers, and you don't have the ability to got to the mainland from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Nick, are you aware the ship doesn't actually go to mainland Belize? Harvest Caye is essentially a private island, pretty much a resort for ship passengers, and you don't have the ability to got to the mainland from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, I am aware. I did, however, think that we had the ability to go to the city from the island. I guess we can't :(. Well, I hope we bypass Harvest Caye and go to Belize City then!

Marine Traffic report shows the Dawn went to Belize City yesterday. We are boarding the Dawn on Feb 12. I hope whatever issue they are having gets resolved soon.

We are on the Dawn right after you..post and let us know where you went[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah, I am aware. I did, however, think that we had the ability to go to the city from the island. I guess we can't :(. Well, I hope we bypass Harvest Caye and go to Belize City then!

There are no ferries or tenders to the mainland from Harvest Caye (unless you book a ship's excursion).

...plus landing from Harvest Caye is about a 2 hour ride to Belize City, each way

FYI, if you would manage to somehow get to the mainland from Harvest Caye, you are a 3 hour car ride to Belize City. However, you wouldn't even be able to get a car to make that 3 hour drive, because there is nothing on the mainland anywhere near Harvest Caye. Check a map for more info. I'd suggest if you want to go to Belize, that you book a cruise to Belize. Better yet, I'd suggest flying to Belize.

I am on the Getaway now. I don't have any other info.

Captain did say there was a large unknown obstruction in the channel and that NCL was sending a crew down from Miami to check it out. :rolleyes:

The captain joked that if he tried it we would become the largest stationary hotel in Belize. :eek:

He also said no other ships would be going to Harvest Cary until it was cleared. I hope for others you can make it.

I feel bad for those who had excursions and such planned. It was a bummer. Our sea day had sun and clear skies, and they said it was raining in Belize....not that it makes up for it.

Hope they get it cleared soon. ;)

BBN Staff:*Over 6,000 cruise ship passengers visited Belize City this week, because their scheduled trip to the Harvest Caye port was canceled.

The Norwegian Gate Way and Norwegian Dawn, diverted to the Fort Street Tourism Village (FSTV)*on Wednesday*and*Thursday.

The company’s public relations officers in Miami had reported to local media that the ships diverted as a safety measure, because there was an obstruction in the channel leading to Harvest Caye. However the Belize Port Authority says that there was no such obstruction.

Chief Safety and Security Manager with the BPA, Michael Jenkins, said this afternoon that there was no obstruction of any kind in the channel this week.

“One ship diverted due to mechanical problems, and the other did so at the decision of the company,” Jenkins continued.

The incident was a great benefit to local tour operators, who managed to cash in on the passengers that ended up at the FSTV.

Today's News Sponsor

Interested to hear updates. This article states that there was no obstruction!

https://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2017/02/03/ncl-ship-divert-harvest-caye/

There's a long channel, with a turning basin followed by another channel to dock at HC so an obstruction could be anything in that channel?

As I understood they did a lot of dredging, from 1 meter at the dock up to 6 meter at the island part of the dock to achieve a 11 meter depth throughout the dock, basin and channels. In total almost 3.5 million cubic feet..

Here's the channel; with a Breakaway class ship's length in yellow

3599414a2dd74ca78c4ba31522aa934b.png

Source; https://www.elaw.org/system/files/harvest_caye_island_pt1.pdf page 49 and up for the proposed map, the dredging and so on.

Not sure if NCL would "sent a team" if it were protesters and Royal's Labadee protests got very noticed by the pax onboard when locals blocked the waters near the pier. So my guess would be nothing there or a shipwreck, sandbank or similar?