Concierge Class, lemme hear it!

Reenwad

I don't understand how people interpret it as "hating" when people are just pointing out that most of the Concierge benefits are marketing hype. The main tangible benefits already mentioned are the lunch on embarkation (which didn't exist until recently) and stateroom location (if that matters). The fact that they added that lunch to make it more of a differentiated product speaks volumes as to the value for price.

The other positive is that you earn more Captain's Club points per night, so if the price differential isn't much, it could be worth staying in a Concierge cabin if you're working towards your next level.

I agree that people should not be called "haters" for truthfully pointing out how concierge class cabins are often overpriced for what they offer.

Celebrity keeps adding perks, such as the embarkation day lunch, as inducements to increase the appeal of concierge class.

But the embarkation day lunch in the dining room is just the same lunch provided for the back-to-back passengers, offering an extremely limited menu with very few choices.

Its main appeal is that you get to sit down and be served.

After glancing at the menu, we usually opt to head up to the buffet instead.

Or else we sit down and eat the one or two items that appeal to us before heading up to the buffet.

One new concierge class "perk" that I didn't see mentioned yet is the recent addition of a special concierge for concierge class.

This appeared to be just another ego stroking perk as we were happy with the services of the ship's regular concierge on the few occasions when we needed the services of a concierge.

But it seems that some concierge class passengers were complaining about not having their very own concierge, so the new position was added.

We don't use most of the so-called concierge perks that are provided in the cabin, such as the "toy" binoculars or extra umbrella, or cloth slippers or heavy, bulky robes that we never wear, or the apples or canapes that we don't eat.

So does this mean we hate concierge class?

No, not at all, and we sometimes even book concierge class ourselves when the price is right.

But we are not willing to pay inflated prices for it.

• The Concierge tote bag is significantly sturdier and more attractive (think Longchamps tote) than the flimsy regular tote

• The leather-like Seapass Card holder is very handy

• I really appreciate the stool that makes your deck chair into a loung chair.

• On M class ships, the 21 extra square feet makes a difference.

• As mentioned, if points matter to you, the 5 points vs. 3 points for a veranda cabin makes a difference.

• As someone mentioned, as you sailed on Celebrity before, you should be Classic loyalty status, so you should be able to get a C2 cabin for the price of a C3. The C2 cabins can be in great locations, i.e. on the hump with large balconies.

Ok, I've booked a C3 concierge cabin on Silhouette for January 2018. We haven't cruise Celebrity in 17 years, so it'll be all new to us anyhoo. We usually book Carnival, along with the Faster To The Fun package, and the concierge cabin seems to be like that, but even better.

I've been reading that it's really not a big deal, but a bottle of wine, bowl of fruit, daily delites, tote bag, key holder, welcome lunch, and priority check in & out seems worth the price I paid.

So let me hear your thoughts on it.

No need to bash me for cruising Carnival, just looking for opinions on Concierge cabins. BTW, I'm in cabin 1004 in case anyone has photos to share!! ;)

Thanks!

It is not a big deal, if you are going to spend extra then aqua class is the way to go.

Thanks for all these comments. Will be sailing on celebrity for the first time in 2018 and had decided to go for concierge class, but might look at Aqua as this is the honeymoon we never had. Our trip is to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary next year and I want it to be special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all these comments. Will be sailing on celebrity for the first time in 2018 and had decided to go for concierge class, but might look at Aqua as this is the honeymoon we never had. Our trip is to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary next year and I want it to be special.

Just check out the Solstice and Millenium threads to pick the best AQ cabin. We loved the personal attention in Blu and breakfast - esp in the mayhem on disembarkation day is a slice of heaven.

Watch the location of the Aqua class cabins. Just as many are slating the Concierge class, you will get the same responses from those that think Aqua class was introduced to sell the cabins in the less desirable locations. Many pax prefer having a regular balcony and spending the extra they would for Aqua/Concierge on a specialty restaurant package. It's horses for courses, whichever suits your personal circumstances is right for you ;).

The M class aft Concierge cabins, IMHO, are a totally different kettle of fish compared to Concierge cabins on any S class ship (where every cabin is the same size - unless you book a suite ;)). Now I'd definitely pay extra for an aft C1 on M class ;).

^^^ Good post -- I also would pay extra for concierge on M class.

Last year I did benefit from the Concierge Concierge who was very helpful in getting a broken shoe repaired. Also, as others have posted, it is possible to replace the admittedly rather inferior canapes for a cheese plate or cookies :)^

Watch the location of the Aqua class cabins. Just as many are slating the Concierge class, you will get the same responses from those that think Aqua class was introduced to sell the cabins in the less desirable locations. Many pax prefer having a regular balcony and spending the extra they would for Aqua/Concierge on a specialty restaurant package. It's horses for courses, whichever suits your personal circumstances is right for you ;).

The M class aft Concierge cabins, IMHO, are a totally different kettle of fish compared to Concierge cabins on any S class ship (where every cabin is the same size - unless you book a suite ;)). Now I'd definitely pay extra for an aft C1 on M class ;).

Thank you. Won't be booking until later this year but will bear this in mind

My husband & I have cruised with celebrity a few times the majority of times in concierge class we enjoy the upgrade through captains club and the 5 points per night, helped us get to Elite.

We have had an aft balcony however that was through choice special anniversary treat and to get the best views for our Panama Canal cruise.

We were in aqua last year on constellation 1122 however did feel the balcony was smaller than our cc ones (we are not comparing it to the aft one)

We have asked our cabin steward for our canapés to be changed to cheese & biscuits, although we don't always have them delivered.

We are cruising in September 2017 b2b on infinity once again in cc.

For us we love the cruising and it's up to the individual to make the choices.

Happy cruising

The OP asked a question and several people answered it from experience. If that makes us haters, so be it. Seems the hate is coming from those who don't want opinions expressed.

Won't be long before we see anti-Concierge Class demonstrations at the CC check-in line ;)

Just back from Reflection in Concierge Class. Had never done that level before.

The good:

Our cabin was aft. Right at the back overlooking the wash of the props. Lovely to sleep to that sound with the balcony door open. Loved that. Would be willing to pay for this level again just for that. And contrary to some concerns, there wasn't a lot of noise from the bar or outdoor dining area above.

Balcony was larger than those on the sides and it came with a footstool which doesn't sound like much but was really nice. Made sitting out there much more comfortable.

Our key card was gold which really means nothing but, let's be honest, is an ego stroke around the ship when you flash that.

We thought the binoculars were a silly idea ... until we used them several times. Turns out that was a useful bonus.

The sturdier tote bag is a great upgrade. Much better than the usual one. That was very helpful and used every day.

The overrated:

They say there is complimentary shoe-shining for Concierge Class. Was never offered that by our cabin steward. Yes, I could've asked but I already feel the staff is working exceptionally hard and long hours and feel like a jerk if I ask for something extra that isn't offered. If this truly is a service that's offered, it should be made clear so I can accept rather than feel awkward.

Never saw an ice bucket in our room.

If there was a dedicated Concierge desk, we never found it. Didn't look hard, mind you. But was not obvious. Likely our fault so can't cast any blame here.

We asked about the priority disembarkation and were told by staff at guest relations that there was no such thing. There was a Concierge Class disembarkation waiting area. However, it offered nothing in the way of priority for those who needed to get off quickly to catch an early flight. Just go to the usual spot. Again, no big deal but if you're using it as a selling feature, it should probably be a bigger deal.

Pillow menu? Never saw one and never asked if we had a preference. Again, if you're going to use it to entice people to buy ...

Celebrity embossed key holder as advertised? Nope.

Celebrity embossed notepad and pen as advertised? Nope.

In short, the placement of the cabin made it worthwhile for us. The rest of the 'perks' were, meh.

All this said, we had a wonderful week. The food was exceptional (don't listen to the critics who tell you things have gone terribly downhill, they're wrong), the ship was beautiful, the entertainment was very good and the weather was a much-needed upgrade from what we'd been suffering through up north.

Wife and I have cruised concierge class for last 8 cruises, we love it. Fruit and daily hors d'oeuvres are our favs. separate line at check in is also a big plus for us. Concierge also gets you front of line service when booking excursions on board (do it by tv). Check the overhead by bed to see if you have a comped water bottle carrier. We use ours constantly when cruising.

^^^ Good post -- I also would pay extra for concierge on M class.

Last year I did benefit from the Concierge Concierge who was very helpful in getting a broken shoe repaired. Also, as others have posted, it is possible to replace the admittedly rather inferior canapes for a cheese plate or cookies :)^

Possible - but not guaranteed. I tried this on my last cruise on the Constellation (March 2016).

We had a lovely aft balcony cabin - which in and of itself was worth the cost of the CC upgrade... but when I asked our room attendant on the first day to swap out the canapes for cheese and crackers I was told he could not do that as the food came from a different kitchen (or something like that...). I had previously been able to do this several years back - and so did not argue since I figured things might have changed. I will definitely try again on our upcoming Eclipse cruise.

However, I will say that we did enjoy the canapes on several of our sea days. Some days were better than others - and none was award winning - but still nice to have a little bite of something with my wine while getting ready for dinner.

And as for the missing ice bucket reported in one post... I find this odd since the sparkling wine is in it on embarkation day. Perhaps yours was inadvertently removed and never returned? We just swapped our own bottle of white for the sparkling once it was gone - and the attendant left it be. We did have to ask for new ice to be added each day.

Edited by DaisyFire
grammar check :)

Possible - but not guaranteed. I tried this on my last cruise on the Constellation (March 2016).

We had a lovely aft balcony cabin - which in and of itself was worth the cost of the CC upgrade... but when I asked our room attendant on the first day to swap out the canapes for cheese and crackers I was told he could not do that as the food came from a different kitchen (or something like that...). I had previously been able to do this several years back - and so did not argue since I figured things might have changed. I will definitely try again on our upcoming Eclipse cruise.

However, I will say that we did enjoy the canapes on several of our sea days. Some days were better than others - and none was award winning - but still nice to have a little bite of something with my wine while getting ready for dinner.

And as for the missing ice bucket reported in one post... I find this odd since the sparkling wine is in it on embarkation day. Perhaps yours was inadvertently removed and never returned? We just swapped our own bottle of white for the sparkling once it was gone - and the attendant left it be. We did have to ask for new ice to be added each day.

Our friends, when they asked where their bottle was, were told by the new Concierge Concierge on their Christmas sailing that the sparkling wine was issued upon request now - the particular day the pax wanted it and not on embarkation as was the norm (btw, this was Millie but unsure if fleet wide :confused:).

That's not the ice bucket - that bucket is specifically for chilling wine. I wouldn't want to use ice out of a bucket that has a bottle in it. The ice bucket is smaller, has a lid, and tongs. Generally it sets next to the water carafe - both of which used to be provided standard, but now more often than not need to be requested.

Mike

I agree that people should not be called "haters" for truthfully pointing out how concierge class cabins are often overpriced for what they offer.

No one 'hates' concierge class. People are not haters for pointing out that it's a BS marketing ploy to sucker people in.

We just have a few drama queens on the board who are incapable of reasoned debate. :)

We've done concierge and standard veranda and for us, the difference is negligible. We did not drink the wine (it was Celebrity's own house brand), did not enjoy the "canapes" (hummus and crackers) and the "fresh flowers" was simply one little posey in a little vase, and it was mostly dead halfway through the week.

That said, we DID enjoy the foot rests on the balcony. I also noticed a difference in the quality and thickness of the bath towels, and the robes.

Apparently you get "priority" seating at dining with concierge, we have never noticed a difference. We have always been very pleased with our seating at dinner.

Yes, the tote bag is nicer and the gold card was pretty :D

All in all, if the price is right, of course we will go concierge again in the future. But if a standard veranda will save us a couple hundred dollars, I'm very happy with it and will have a wonderful cruise anyhow.

...Lovely to sleep to that sound with the balcony door open. Loved that. Would be willing to pay for this level again just for that. And contrary to some concerns, there wasn't a lot of noise from the bar or outdoor dining area above.

Our key card was gold which really means nothing but, let's be honest, is an ego stroke around the ship when you flash that.

Did you miss the sign that told you to not leave your balcony door open? It affects the A/C of your neighbors and the humidity can also mess with everything in the cabin, including the smoke detectors.

I stay in suites and can't remember what color the key cards are. Who knew that color was an aspirational thing? I don't know what type of room anyone is in unless I see them in the suites-only spaces enough to memorize their faces OR if the person tells me.