Best 2-top tables in Vista Class MDR?

crunchii

Many people mentioned that they always request specific tables in the MDR. I'd like to do that too, but this being my first HAL cruise, I don't know which ones to request! (And yes, I understand we may not get what we request.)

We'll be sailing on Westerdam and have "Confirmed Early, Request Table for 2." Looking at the seating chart posted on the site that shows all the HAL facts, which do you think are the best 2-top tables in Vista Class MDR? I'm thinking #79, 77, or 73. What do you think of those tables?

I don't think I want #37, 41, 47, or 51. They look like a big table separated into two seating with two empty seats in between. Is that what they are?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

I'm thinking #79, 77, or 73. What do you think of those tables?
We also like tables along the rail, and it looks like you're trying to stay on the window/starboard side. Since it is usually dark outside when we are eating we find 82, 84, 88, and 90 to be okay too. If none of those are available, our next choices are 68, 70, 72, 74, 76, 32 or 34.
I don't think I want #37, 41, 47, or 51. They look like a big table separated into two seating with two empty seats in between. Is that what they are?
Sorta. There is a small gap. Edited by catl331

If you like privacy, tables 122 & 127 are good....they are both back in the aft corners of the room so there aren't any windows though.
But those are downstairs in Open seating. I think Confirmed Early means she has Fixed upstairs.

Just an FYI, on our last Westerdam cruise we had confirmed fixed seating and were seated downstairs. There were many around us who also had assigned tables downstairs.

Ditto. The same thing happened to us.

Silly me, I didn't even look at the dining room deck as I was used to upper dining. Looked a little foolish when upper told me we were in the lower dining room :o:p

I thought fixed upstairs was always main dining at 8:00. No?

There are two fixed sittings---early and main. The first is at 5:30 (or so; I have also seen it at 5:45, and 5:15), while main sitting is at 8:00, and sometimes 7:45.

Ditto. The same thing happened to us.

Silly me, I didn't even look at the dining room deck as I was used to upper dining. Looked a little foolish when upper told me we were in the lower dining room :o:p

On the K'dam our keycards gave us the choice of Open on upper or lower. We went upper and got a table on the railing. Do you (or anybody) have any idea why they are mixing them this way?

On the K'dam our keycards gave us the choice of Open on upper or lower. We went upper and got a table on the railing. Do you (or anybody) have any idea why they are mixing them this way?

I did ask on the Westerdam. The DRM said it was something new they were trying. I got the impression by doing this they were able to accommodate the fixed times and types of tables people had requested.

I did ask on the Westerdam. The DRM said it was something new they were trying. I got the impression by doing this they were able to accommodate the fixed times and types of tables people had requested.
I can understand if there was too much demand for Fixed that they might have to overflow from Upper to Lower, but allowing Open people to go to upper implies that there is under-demand ... so I don't get it! :confused:

What does "2-top" mean? Chairs at the table or people at the table? Must be some sort of restaurant slang.

Do I say "2-top" if two people are sitting at a table that can accommodate four?

igraf

I can understand if there was too much demand for Fixed that they might have to overflow from Upper to Lower, but allowing Open people to go to upper implies that there is under-demand ... so I don't get it! :confused:[/quote

I don't get it either :confused: But, we had good waiters, great service and enjoyable dinners so it was all good. I will look more closely at my key card next time ;)

Is anyone familiar with the table #24? I'm wondering if it is next to a window so you get a view? it's the only 2-top in the back of the ship so was wondering if that was a good one? Thanks in advance.

(edited to add that I'm looking specifically at the layout of the ZUIDERDAM, upper level)